Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible Managerial Candidates

Possible Managerial Candidates

If Dusty Baker isn't brought back, who would be at the top of your wish list?

My biggest fear is someone like Tony LaRussa or Bobby Valentine. I'm not sold on a guy like Chris Speier or Bryan Price who have limited experience managing.

It seems that younger managers or former players are the trend. Robin Ventura and Mike Matheny to name a couple. If we went that route, I wouldn't mind seeing Ryne Sandberg.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possible Managerial Candidates

Greg Maddux.... Especially with the young pitching staff that we have. I know Greg only has the coaching experience with the Rangers, but he's also been one of the smartest people I've ever known to play the game. I think Maddux could transition right into a manager's role with no problem at all.
    Last edited by dman; 10-12-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Jim Tracy
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

I'm not advocating him, but Manny Acta should be on the list. He hasn't exactly been given much to work with in either DC or Cleveland. But at least he knows the importance of putting OBP at the top of the lineup.

That said, let's be honest. Dusty will be back.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd expect that Jim Riggleman would get a hard look, since he's an in-house candidate.

Mike Maddux would be interesting, given his success in the Rangers org as a pitching coach. I wonder if bringing him on would impact Price's role on the team, though. I think keeping Price around should be something the club strives for (continuity in coaching for a young staff seems like a good thing).

Ryne Sandberg seems like the manager-in-waiting out in Philly -- I think he'd be a good guy to look at as well.

I think TLR will get a look, though I imagine that would go over like a turd in the punchbowl in the clubhouse.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think TLR will get a look, though I imagine that would go over like a turd in the punchbowl in the clubhouse.
    Cueto and Phillips would be traded before Opening Day.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Cueto and Phillips would be traded before Opening Day.
    Marty would retire.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I do not think Baker should be brought back.

I posted a thread earlier this year "Fire Dusty Now" as a joke which pretty much everyone jumped on as being a legit eventhough the idea of firing him while the team was in first place in the division and he really was doing a great job managing the team was absurd, the point was lost.

At this time though, I think we have an open door to find someone new.

I like Manny Acta, Pete Mackanin and maybe even trying to get someone like Joe Torre to come out of "retirement" to push this team over the hump.

The loss yesterday was a real team effort but I think this team only needs some refining to be an automatic contender for years to come....to move this legacy to the next level we need someone to take that message home.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Unlike years past this is a job that top notch managers will look at very strongly.

This is a very good team with an owner that will pay a manager well.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Sandy Alomar, Dave Martinez, or...

Barry Larkin?

I also like the Mike Maddux idea.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

If Dusty leaves, considering Bob and Walt, TLR will be considered and even offered. I don't know how the Cueto/Phillips relationships would work though.

Riggleman is in-house, but is hardly an exciting option that will excite the fan base.

What's Sweet Lou doing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Marty would retire.
    I don't know that this would be a bad thing.

Bruce was complaining about the fans booing during games 3 and 4 and while I understand the fans dissapointment, they get the notion that a 96 win team sucks from the daily bashing they hear from mr. Grumpy and his son.

...oh yeah....if the reds move away from Baker you know it wouldn't bother me if they gave the big office to Scott Rolen.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

For in-house, I wonder if Bryan Price would be interested.

For out of house, I would love to have Bud Black. For guys who are readily available I have already suggested Mike Hargrove, Don Wakamatsu, and Dave Martinez.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

TLR. I want to win.

I love the idea of Martinez. I think Baker should have the option of returning. If he doesn't, I think the brass will look for someone with experience. It's a shame Francona didn't wait around, if we end up needing one.

Turn Off Ads?