Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuban Infusion

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Cuban Infusion

Older ESPN article

It seams inevitable that Cuban baseball players will eventually be freely allowed to play in the US. My question is the first year that the talent is introduced how should MLB bring the talent into the league? Would you prefer a draft or pure FA? I'm interested in everyone's input on what will and what you would like to occurr.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: Cuban Infusion

I'm in favor of a global draft, anyway. I know there are some consequences to that, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea that Latin players are treated separately from others.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I agree- draft. Free agency only benefits the high bidders with deep pockets and the players' "handlers" of questionable character. It does nothing to help the system, the players or small to mid-market teams. ESPN the Magazine had a great story about the flaws in the current Latin America/MLB system a few issues ago.

I saw the thread title and thought for a second this may be a restaurant review.

After watching Cuba play in the World Baseball Classic, I can only hope that the US and Cuba work things out, and fairly soon too. I would hate to see Major League Baseball miss out on all that great talent. I was very impressed with Cuba's talent, most notably 21-year old lefthander Aroldis Chapman. If Chapman was eligible for the 2009 draft, he would probably go #2 overall behind Stephen Strasburg.

Here is the issue. If it happens in the near future you would open up another market for baseball prospects. But you will also have a wide range of ages, developments, projections, etc. You could have a 28 year old MLB ready third baseman, if you have an international draft would he enter that? Would a team pass on a 18 year old prospect to draft a MLB ready player? Would you open up Cuba to a one year international free agency period and then in year two make the country like Puerto Rico?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

If Cuba were to open up (and that is a HUGE if), I don't see how you could treat its players any differently than those from Venezuela and the Dominican Republic (i.e. FA).

That said, knowing this, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cuban government itself wouldn't set up some sort of procedure, which would probably involve -unsurprisingly- payments to the Cuban government.

Its all speculation at this point, I hardly see the "inevitability" of a break in the Cuban Dam. Don't be surprised if, on the other hand, the Venezuelan government doesn't start imposing restrictions on the signing of its nationals.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here is the issue. If it happens in the near future you would open up another market for baseball prospects. But you will also have a wide range of ages, developments, projections, etc. You could have a 28 year old MLB ready third baseman, if you have an international draft would he enter that? Would a team pass on a 18 year old prospect to draft a MLB ready player? Would you open up Cuba to a one year international free agency period and then in year two make the country like Puerto Rico?
    FA- provides more talent for the rich while leaving scraps for mid market america. The only plus for this system would really be the simplicity for Bud Selig to put it in place. Dominant teams can afford the major league ready players, pass or fail. However with the prospects the mid teir teams will still be a factor. Look at this and last year. The A's gave 4.5 mil to Inoa and the Reds spent almost 5 mil between Rodriquez and Duran. The Pirates are rumored to be dropping something along the line of 3 and change for this years top international FA. The prospects will get paid and divided up evenly with most teams putting a larger chunk of payroll into development.

Draft- Works for everyone. I wouldn't be opposed to a seperate Cuban draft for the first year. A worldwide draft makes more sense in the long run but, what type of effect will it have on the current 16 year old kids looking for a payday? Will teams be willing to spend a first round draft pick on 16 year old Yorman Rodriquez with a Yonder Alonso waiting to be picked up? The current FA pool allows teams to sit on their investments longer. We often talk draft strategy debating high school vs college, what if the question changed to college player or soon to be old enough to drive latin player? I'm for a worldwide draft but I think we're not looking at all of the trickle down effects it could have. Also in the first year draft of the Cuban born players the debates between 31 year old SP vs 17 year old SS would be fun

Love to see a world-wide draft, with all players available at 18. We'll probably never see it, but it would be fun to see a fifth round pick like Johnny Cueto.

I am just gonna play Devil's Advocate here, but if we open up Cuba to a draft, what keeps most of the older Cuban MLB ready players from signing for more money to play in Japan (or a similar leagb8ue in another country). Unless we make everyone play by the same rules, I don't think it is very fair to tell a 32 year old Cuban who could play in the majors today that he can't sign with the highest bidder. Now I also understand that if Cuba is opened up, the young guys need to be put in the draft (to keep it fair).

FYI, I am in favor of a domestic and international draft.

I hope I was clear in my message. I am a little overwhelmed in trying to spark good debate on the ORG. I want to do my best, since you all thought I deserved to be here.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

I get the 32 year old wanting more cash. He can ask for it from the team that drafts him. If not, he can always go to Japan. More power to him.

(I also wouldn't mind those who played in the Cuban National League to get some sort of "professional league" years count.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    I am just gonna play Devil's Advocate here, but if we open up Cuba to a draft, what keeps most of the older Cuban MLB ready players from signing for more money to play in Japan (or a similar leagb8ue in another country). Unless we make everyone play by the same rules, I don't think it is very fair to tell a 32 year old Cuban who could play in the majors today that he can't sign with the highest bidder.
    NBA has the same problem. A team can draft a player that still plays for another professional team! There is no guarentee that the player will sign but, if you can "persuade" a player (and his previous team) to join the league then you have rights to negotiate. We see the same every year with highschool players drafted that still go onto college. Also if a 32 year old domestic Pitcher signs with a MLB league team he still goes through the 3 years league minimum and 3 years arb. Unless the player was promised more money up front. Nature of the beast. Just because a player's age is not typical for the entry into a team's development department does not mean they receive special treatment in regards to contracts.

Yes, but a 32 year old domestic pitcher has been available to MLB scouts since he was much younger, and is able to try out and sign earlier. A Cuban player? Not so much.

Nature of the Beast? Not if you are a Japanese player.

We treat players from different countries differently. IMO, that is wrong.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    I am just gonna play Devil's Advocate here, but if we open up Cuba to a draft, what keeps most of the older Cuban MLB ready players from signing for more money to play in Japan (or a similar leagb8ue in another country). Unless we make everyone play by the same rules, I don't think it is very fair to tell a 32 year old Cuban who could play in the majors today that he can't sign with the highest bidder. Now I also understand that if Cuba is opened up, the young guys need to be put in the draft (to keep it fair).

FYI, I am in favor of a domestic and international draft.

I hope I was clear in my message. I am a little overwhelmed in trying to spark good debate on the ORG. I want to do my best, since you all thought I deserved to be here.
    That was along my lines of thinking. But IMO after year 1 that wouldn't be a problem. After the first year of Cubans eligible to play baseball in the MLB all the older stars will be gone from that talent pool and everything will return to normal. IMO Cuba will be inserted into the USA and Puerto Rico draft for the simple reason that MLB will have its say so.

I am all for a international draft, that follows certain guidelines. I would exempt Japan from the draft because they have a rival league, but I would also allow any Japanese high schooler to enroll into the MLB draft. I would also do my best to get rid of the sleaze ball "agents" that prey on impoverished kids in Latin America. I would do my international draft some time after the season ended instead of having an international signing period. IMO if you have an international draft you will have a better system in place and better regulation of so called "agents" as well as birth dates, PED's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    That was along my lines of thinking. But IMO after year 1 that wouldn't be a problem. After the first year of Cubans eligible to play baseball in the MLB all the older stars will be gone from that talent pool and everything will return to normal. IMO Cuba will be inserted into the USA and Puerto Rico draft for the simple reason that MLB will have its say so.

I am all for a international draft, that follows certain guidelines. I would exempt Japan from the draft because they have a rival league, but I would also allow any Japanese high schooler to enroll into the MLB draft. I would also do my best to get rid of the sleaze ball "agents" that prey on impoverished kids in Latin America. I would do my international draft some time after the season ended instead of having an international signing period. IMO if you have an international draft you will have a better system in place and better regulation of so called "agents" as well as birth dates, PED's, etc.

I agree with you here.

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Turn Off Ads?