Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

Re: UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Now, Rutgers needs to beat WVU to ensure the Gator Bowl doesn't select the 'Eers over a 1-loss UC.
    Just beat Pitt and that game will be irrealevant to you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bottom line, UC needs to beat Pitt because I have a bad feeling that bowl games are all too willing to pass them over.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It would be a shame if Boise State or Cincy gets passed over in favor of one of those two teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't care about that stuff. Cincinnati is more deserving of a BCS bowl.
    Unfortunately, the bowl system doesn't see it that way. They have bills to pay and money to raise. The (incorrect) perception is that Cincy doesn't travel and so they'll defer to the "established" programs. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day and UC won't climb the mountain overnight. And even if they do, the national media won't recognize it.

It's hard to break into the good 'ole boys club.
    I agree with everything you gentleman (above) state. In fact, I brought these points up last month on the other Bearcat thread. Especially the remark about the "good 'ole boys club".

Personally, over these many years, I've seen many "smaller" football programs/conferences elevate the quality and competitive level of their play. And that includes conferences like MAC. I think it's great for college football. And the reason some of those conferences have gotten better too is because the larger conferences are playing them and throwing money their way to help them improve. Again though - that's great for college FB as a whole IMO.

It use to be that those "established" powerhouse teams loved to put those "lesser" schools on their schedule because it most likely, for the most part, meant a win. But that has been changing since those programs are starting to elevate themselves. Not a given anymore.

And the Bearcat's program is one such program. Let's be honest - and this is part of the problem that haunts them - they really have never been know as an ESTABLISHED football program. Basketball yes. Football no. They have a HISTORY, as far as football goes; but the program never received the emphasis it has now.

So basically, the Bearcat program is trying to play "catch up".

But I simply commend them for the steps they have taken over the last several years (putting the money into their program, joining the BE in '05) to do what it takes to elevate that football program.

So what more do they have to do to get the recognition they deserve?

Show consistency, and become more established, which will do more to bring them that name recognition. And that is going to take a little more time (sadly).

But even if they were to lose a close game to Pitt next week (biting my tongue), they still deserve a BCS bowl game IMO.

But since they re-adjusted the BCS to give the coaches poll more weight, that is where my "fear" comes from when it comes to programs like the Bearcats, Boise State, and some others.... they'll get left out in the cold, and will get "leap-frogged" by those "established" schools simply because of their name recognition, drawing power, and of course.... MONEY.

I guess the only thing I can say to the Bearcats is keep doing what you're doing.

It ain't gonna happen anytime soon... at least until they show more consistency and a proven track record; but I'd love to see the BCs join the Big 10, and then split that conference into two with a championship game.

But again - that traditional-minded good ole' boys network, especially in the B10, would resist such a change IMO.

It's a turf war.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-29-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But since they re-adjusted the BCS to give the coaches poll more weight, that is where my "fear" comes from when it comes to programs like the Bearcats, Boise State, and some others.... they'll get left out in the cold, and will get "leap-frogged" by those "established" schools simply because of their name recognition, drawing power, and of course.... MONEY.

The bowl games aren't there to match the best teams up. This isn't a playoff. It's about attendance and ratings. Does UC and/or Boise St. deserve a BCS berth over someone like Iowa or Penn St.? Probably. But they don't care about that. You think a BCS bowl wouldn't take Notre Dame if they could?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

As Big East Championship day approaches, we've got a big group getting ready to head out tomorrow night to Pittsburgh. Anybody else going?

Meanwhile, Oregon State has a 23-21 lead early in the second half over Oregon in the Civil War. Boy would it be nice for the Beavers to pull this one out so UC could say "hey, we beat the Pac-10 Champ in their building!"
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Per Colley's Matrix:

A UC win + Texas loss = UC moving up from 2nd to 4th in the Colley computer rankings. TCU would remain 5th.

The other computers would likely show similar results with UC moving up 1 to 2 spots and TCU most likely not moving at all. This would give UC a massive boost in the computer rankings over TCU, easily enough to push them over TCU in the BCS.

Essentially, UC now has three bowl scenarios:

UC win + Texas loss = Pasadena
    UC win + Texas win = New Orleans most likely
    UC loss = A screw job most likely

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Essentially, UC now has three bowl scenarios:

UC win + Texas loss = Pasadena
    UC win + Texas win = New Orleans most likely
    UC loss = A screw job most likely
    I'll take door #1 please. If #3 happens, I may quit following college football after my first season of really following it.

How pathetic would it be for the entire bowl system if UC ends up 11-1 and ranked in the top 10 but still plays in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    How pathetic would it be for the entire bowl system if UC ends up 11-1 and ranked in the top 10 but still plays in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.
    There's some serious potential for insult to injury here - the above scenario happens as Kelly leaves for ND.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Interesting column but if you push that signing date back, then you have all this speculation up through the bowl game. So take the last couple of weeks, double it and take away stories about preparation for the upcoming opponent. The current situation isn't ideal but maybe the quicker the cut the better. That way you get all the speculation over sooner.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

“It’s not comfortable for me,’’ Kelly said Tuesday. “It’s not comfortable for those involved. (But) it’s the reality of it. The only thing I can control is the message every day to our football players, how we can become champions. I can’t handle all these other things out there.’’

Well, he could, actually. Kelly could do what Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops and Jon Gruden have done and say publicly thanks, but no thanks. That’d make everyone comfortable. It’s his business how he handles it. Though it seems apparent that if an invitation arrives, BK’d be happy to leave for the Irish pub.
    Come on, Doc, it's not hard to figure this one out. That quote is meaningless- it's boiler plate.

Let's say he really wants to stay; it is in his interest to get UC to make firm promises to inject the resources that will make it the "destination" program he has described. If they do that, he's firmly in position to take the program to the heights that will culminate with renaming Short Vine "Brian Kelly Way".

Let's say he really wants the ND job; it is in his interest to make UC put together an attractive counter offer that will maximize his gains.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I'll take door #1 please. If #3 happens, I may quit following college football after my first season of really following it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post

I think the most likely scenario is door #2 as I believe UC will win tomorrow, but I also believe Texas is going to beat Nebraska. Of course, that's why they play the games so it will hopefully be exciting to celebrate a UC win while cheering loudly for Nebraska.

If UC would lose, I'd still hope for a BCS at-large, but I wouldn't expect it. I'd probably relucantly be ok with a Gator Bowl invite should that happen, but I wouldn't be thrilled. At least the Gator Bowl is one of the better non-BCS bowl options, and at least it is on New Year's Day.

The Car Care Bowl would just be a slap in the face. For one thing, this is the same bowl that screwed over UC two years ago when they selected Connecticut and forced UC to go to Birmingham for the Papajohns.com Bowl. And secondly, it's a bowl game that's acceptable for a team that is 8-4, perhaps 9-3. As Redlegs23 stated, sending an 11-1 potentially top 10 team there would be a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Come on, Doc, it's not hard to figure this one out. That quote is meaningless- it's boiler plate.

Let's say he really wants to stay; it is in his interest to get UC to make firm promises to inject the resources that will make it the "destination" program he has described. If they do that, he's firmly in position to take the program to the heights that will culminate with renaming Short Vine "Brian Kelly Way".

Let's say he really wants the ND job; it is in his interest to make UC put together an attractive counter offer that will maximize his gains.
    So why did Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, and whoever else come out saying they are staying at their schools? Are they stupid or are they lying? Or is it they don't play big league hardball with their adminstrations (for whatever reason)?

Kelly says these foggy things and I have a hard time reading his tea leaves. I think the bald truth is that no matter what UC does, Kelly will go to ND if its offered.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So why did Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, and whoever else come out saying they are staying at their schools? Are they stupid or are they lying? Or is it they don't play big league hardball with their adminstrations (for whatever reason)?

Kelly says these foggy things and I have a hard time reading his tea leaves. I think the bald truth is that no matter what UC does, Kelly will go to ND if its offered.
    Brian Kelly is at a school with no separate practice fields, a stadium that holds only 35,000 fans, and a school whose fan base is a major question. I can see where the hardball argument has some major tread. Stoops, Meyer and the like aren't fighting to get better facilities or more money, so it stands to reason that they can make the "I'm staying" statements much more easily than Brian can in his situation. I'd love to see him stay, but I can't say I'd blame him for leaving. I just hope UC does everything it can to get the job done, with or without BK.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Imagine if UC loses, they are sent to the Car Care Bowl and BK leaves....how far does that set back the program? What would the crowds look like next year? What does that do to recruiting?

I don't think you can overstate how big the game tomorrow is.

Turn Off Ads?