Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Who says Nix doesn't go down when Leake comes up?

Who says Nix doesn't go down when Leake comes up?

I think, in general, it has been continuously easy to underestimate what the Reds see and like about Francisco. Personally, I'd have never had him in a Reds uni before THIS September, so count me among the surprised.

If they want a LH bat off the bench, one that can play some IF and OF, they've got Juan ready and willing. He could get 250-400 ab's depending on circumstance. Dusty's already dispelled, in his mind, the concern that he'd get rusty.

Further, if you look at the fact that Nix started the game today, add that to the fact that they mentioned a lot about their 'strategy' for the first week in roster discussions, it seems more likely that Nix was just a token in this plan.

Who do you think they gave up Balentien for? A full season of Nix (bla) or a full season of Juan (the future)?

I pick Juan. They seem to think he's ready to hit, and we shouldn't be surprised.

Lastly, look at the roster relief Juan provides in AAA, more PT for Frazier and Alonso.

I'd feel less secure if I was Nix.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who says Nix doesn't go down when Leake comes up?

Does Nix have any options left? He was up and down a lot in Texas and Milwaukee. Even if he does, I think he can refuse assignment (I think he has 5 years, but might be short due to some injury issues....not sure).

In order to send down Nix he would probably have to be waived. Although it would take some number crunching to find out, along with figuring out his option years.
    Last edited by scott91575; 04-06-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Resident PED Expert

He could refuse Assignment I believe which means we would lose Balentien and him for nothing. (Assuming Balentien refuses assignment if he isn't claimed.) Francisco is the guy. He needs to be playing everyday IMO. 3B, 1B, LF.

One thing the Louisville team does not lack is players with versatility. Heisey can play all 3 OF spots. Frazier can play all 4 IF and LF. Sutton can play 2B, SS and 3B. Alonso is learning LF along with 1B. Valakia SS and 2B. Dorn LF, RF and 1B. Castillo can play everything but CF or 1B. Nice to have quality options at multiple positions.

Nix is definitely out of options or has his 5 years. He refused assignment last November and became a free agent. Then was resigned to a minor league deal. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he is now on a major league deal (he is certainly on the 40 man). Therefore he can refuse assignment again.
    Last edited by scott91575; 04-06-2010 at 09:23 AM.

We can dream can't we?

For every step this team takes forward - ANY stone left unturned - will be used by tDUHsty.

Lincoln, Cairo, and Nix, on their own, are the 23rd, 24th, and 25th man on this team.
    WHY they were the 1) First pitcher out of the bullpen, 2) the first pinch hitter used, and 3) the Starting LF-er on opening day; really and truly baffles the mind.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    We can dream can't we?

For every step this team takes forward - ANY stone left unturned - will be used by tDUHsty.

Lincoln, Cairo, and Nix, on their own, are the 23rd, 24th, and 25th man on this team.
    WHY they were the 1) First pitcher out of the bullpen, 2) the first pinch hitter used, and 3) the Starting LF-er on opening day; really and truly baffles the mind.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I hope Dusty was trying to prove a point to get Lincoln off his roster. I also didn't have a problem with when Cairo was brought into pinch hit. With the hitter not going back into the field and leading off the inning it made sense. He wanted to save Juan for a bigger situation with runners on later in the game, which happened and Juan came through. Gomes is a similar situation where he wants to have him around if a lefty comes in, or we need a big fly. You could make an argument for Stubbs pinch hitting and coming into the game for Nix right there though.

I really, really was not happy to see Nix starting in LF and Stubbs not playing.

All good points on the option. I guess I think so little of Nix (I mean he is what he is, and that's not likely the future), that I figured the Reds would just be done with him after this week. Although the point about maybe losing both of him and Balentien makes a lot of sense.

Nix was only signed to a minor league deal, so that still tells me the Reds aren't convinced about his usefulness. Perhaps he and/or Wlad would clear waivers, who knows.

The Reds had to clear a spot on the roster for Nix.I doubt they will get rid of him after that.
    Personally ,I like Nix as a bench player,no reason to give him a start on opening day tho.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    The Reds had to clear a spot on the roster for Nix.I doubt they will get rid of him after that.
    Personally ,I like Nix as a bench player,no reason to give him a start on opening day tho.
    Agreed. He's fine as the fifth outfielder. Fransisco has to play everyday to develop. I don't see anything Gomes has done to warrant him not getting most of the starts in left field.

Turn Off Ads?