Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Transactions

Re: Transactions

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Very good move!

I still believe Lohman has a shot at being a replacement level shortstop, .
    Isn't it kind of premature to limit a guy like Lohman to replacement level?

I recall the bashing of Zack Cozart as a draftee and beginning player, now everyone is on the bandwagon.

Lohman probably was rushed to Dayton but at Billings is likely at the appropriate level. Glad the Reds are putting him there, hopefully he'll do well.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I recall the bashing of Zack Cozart as a draftee and beginning player, now everyone is on the bandwagon.

Lohman probably was rushed to Dayton but at Billings is likely at the appropriate level. Glad the Reds are putting him there, hopefully he'll do well.
    I will admit, I wasn't a fan of the Cozart pick when we made it. His scouting reports said he couldn't hit (and to be truthful, at the time, he couldn't hit.... he was all arms in his swing and it was quite apparent). But they also said that he could play a good shortstop.

Lohman on the flip side had scouting reports that said he couldn't hit (the part that worried me at the time was that the reports noted he would sell out everything he had for power, but in college he showed next to no power) and that he wasn't a good shortstop (range wasn't good, arm was).

From the DDN:

Said a Baseball America scouting report: “Torreyes is a wizard with the glove, capable of making the highlight play ranging into the outfield or behind the bag. At the plate, he has surprising pop for his size and he profiles as a top of the order hitter.”

In Venezuela with the Reds affiliate in the summer league there last year, Torreyes won the batting title with a .390 average and also led in doubles, triples, slugging percentage and runs.

“He’s an ideal No. 2 hitter,” Pelaez said. “He can hit, but he doesn’t have that little man’s syndrome where he tries to generate power.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...t-1188390.html

So, he's a young, mini-Brandon Phillips? Sign me up.

No and no. Doug addressed the Cozart issue.

Lohman's ceiling is likely somewhere between Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier, therefore a replacement level is pretty accurate. His floor is that he never gets by AA. I wouldn't be surprised by either outcome, especially the latter.

As a 22 year old former Top 100 pick from a big time college program, putting him in Dayton in his second year of pro ball is hardly rushing him. If anything, given that pedigree he could have started in Dayton last season. The fact that he couldn't hit a lick or play plus defense while there (or in Billings, where everybody hits) only confirms my original statement about his projection.

I hope the kid turns it around, but I'm certainly not expecting much out of him, now or in the future.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    No and no. Doug addressed the Cozart issue.

Lohman's ceiling is likely somewhere between Chris Valaika and Todd Frazier, therefore a replacement level is pretty accurate. His floor is that he never gets by AA. I wouldn't be surprised by either outcome, especially the latter.
    I think you are drastically overrating his ceiling there. Perhaps defensively he falls in with those two guys, but both of those guys have shown power at points in their careers already that Lohman isn't likely to ever touch.

I don't see Lohman as a prospect. Stick appears woefully short, and he doesn't have much speed, which limits his appeal as a utility guy. Brodie Greene is the far better middle INF/utility prospect, IMO.

Lohman did ok last night.

Lohman did ok last night.
    A 22 year old had a couple hits in Billings? REJOICE!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you are drastically overrating his ceiling there. Perhaps defensively he falls in with those two guys, but both of those guys have shown power at points in their careers already that Lohman isn't likely to ever touch.
    My point was that his ceiling is two players who are (or will be) 26 and have played less than 30 major league games between them. I was agreeing with the previous poster who said his absolute best-case scenario is as a replacement level player.
    Go BLUE!!!

-The Insider-

Moves are being made.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Moves are being made.
    Concerning which team(s) and when will the moves be known.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

-The Insider-

The worse team in the minors and the team below. It'll be on the transactions page tomorrow I would think. Look to see who isn't in the lineup tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    The worse team in the minors and the team below. It'll be on the transactions page tomorrow I would think. Look to see who isn't in the lineup tonight.
    Any AAA moves?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Any AAA moves?
    Chapman to Louisville.

Turn Off Ads?