Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds focused on acquiring bullpen help

Re: Reds focused on acquiring bullpen help

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Isn't the Tampa Bay model to come in last place for 10 years in a row, amass the top draft pick in every round for 10 years in a row, and hoard a huge glut of top prospects?

I don't really think the Rays did anything smart to build a great team. They were just so awful for so long they couldn't help but stumble upon some good young players with all the top picks they were given.

I agree it is not wise to overpay for free agents unless absolutely required in order to fill a gaping hole in the team.

The reason the Reds have a tight budget is because the owner wants it that way. They have made about $40 million in profit over the last 3 or 4 years (not counting this season). They have the money -- they just won't spend it. Maybe they will some day.

This guy's talking all kinds of sense. Thank you for saying this in the teeth of great opposition.

One key injury to the Rays and they're shot in AL East. Cf. 1999 Reds.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Isn't the Tampa Bay model to come in last place for 10 years in a row, amass the top draft pick in every round for 10 years in a row, and hoard a huge glut of top prospects?

I don't really think the Rays did anything smart to build a great team. They were just so awful for so long they couldn't help but stumble upon some good young players with all the top picks they were given.
    Ya that's the Tampa Bay model. Sure.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Ya that's the Tampa Bay model. Sure.
    Until they can sustain this success, then I think it's fair to say that what they have isn't a model, but a trial run.

Seriously, any team can get good for a season.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I agree it is not wise to overpay for free agents unless absolutely required in order to fill a gaping hole in the team.

The reason the Reds have a tight budget is because the owner wants it that way. They have made about $40 million in profit over the last 3 or 4 years (not counting this season). They have the money -- they just won't spend it. Maybe they will some day.
    You may well be right that the club has some cash, but I think this off season is going to be very interesting. Given the recent economic calamaties, I think clubs are being hesitant trying to watch their cash, particular with credit markets still seeming to be seized. Clubs are in uncharted territory and proceeding cautiously may well be the rule of the day. I can't say that I'd argue with that. Clearly, I have no inside knowledge of what lines of credit the Reds may have or what their cash reserves are, but prudence (unfortunately for us as fans) may well be the proper movement at this moment.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The Rays are going to be good for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Until they can sustain this success, then I think it's fair to say that what they have isn't a model, but a trial run.

What the Rays have is a process that begin with conscious decisions made by a FO assembled with purpose.

Haggle about what to label it till the sun burns out..... but distilling the Rays down to "just suck long enough and anyone can win" is a shallow view that frankly is silly on the face of it.

As a logical extension, I guess the Reds problem has been that they have sucked at sucking.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd question the emphasis of the MLB.com's headline indicating that the Reds are "focusing on acquiring bullpen help." The article quotes Walt saying, "Ideally, we'd like to acquire another left-hander." Clearly the Reds will have to fill out their bullpen, particularly if all three of the group of Affeldt (gone), Weathers (probably gone) and Lincoln do not resign. Clubs are always looking to fill out their bullpens. This is up there with "dog bites man", IMO, or as is often said, "Move along, nothing see here".
    Thank you. I'd be disappointed if they weren't looking for bullpen help. You've lost Affeldt and may lose Weathers and Lincoln. Those are three of your top six relievers. You'd better be looking for bullpen help.

Believe it or not, Walt Jocketty is capable of thinking about more than one thing at a time. So while he is rightly thinking about the bullpen, I think it's clear he's also thinking about CF, LF and other holes on this team.

Must we overreact to everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

You are seriously overlooking the term "player development," something the Reds have failed at miserably for as long as I can remember (especially regarding pitchers).

Sure, TB having great positions in the draft doesn't hurt, but just because you draft a player that projects well doesn't mean squat. Homer Bailey anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The Rays are going to be good for a while.
    Maybe, but they were 52-26 in close games last year. Who's to say they can keep that up?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Bullpen help?

Really?

IMO, seems like putting a simple knuckle band aid on a patient who just lost a limb and is now an amputee....

I mean I guess on the surface it makes sense to replace Affeldt with another lefty (although IMO Bray will fill in nicely...), but we're more than replacing Affeldt from being a playoff team, and we're definitely more than strengthening the bullpen from being a playoff team....

Get us a legitimate leadoff hitter, get us an actual SS, and maybe a CF or a C and then we might talk....

Until then, I guess we wait in anticipation...

Or at least I do...

Based on your theory, unless we can land a legitimate lead off hitter, and actual SS, a CF and a catcher (presumably at the same time), you don't make those moves.

You improve the team one move at a time.

Just beciase SS is probably our greatest need, doesn't mean you do nothing until that problem is solved. There may not be a reasonable solution to that problem this year. So you improve the team any way you can.

Otherwise, you will never be close enough to being a contender to make that final move.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Must we overreact to everything?
    In a word: without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I think I like Will Ohman the most of the available lefties, but Rhodes, Reyes, and Beimel are also solid options.

I think Will Ohman is liked, but not well liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I don't know why some get up in arms when the Rays "plan" gets knocked. Having the lowest payroll in the game for years to ensure you finish dead last, having year after year of top 1-2 or 3 picks in the draft and finally stumbling on a winning team doesn't seem all that great. Yeah, they'll be pretty good for awhile - until these kids hit arb and they start trading them off. I'm not convinced this past season was the result of a long thought out plan as much as just doing a good job scouting for the draft. To me, that's the diff between the Rays and teams like the Reds or Royals or Pirates. The Rays did a really good job drafting guys while the Reds were picking Howington & Gruler, picking Kearns who busted, punting Sowers and picking Stubbs over Lincecum. The plan I do see happening is the Rays attempt to lock in some of these kids now to save money in the long haul so maybe there is a plan to try and keep their core together for a while. I'll give them credit for that - but not so much for any grand master plan that brought them to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    In a word: without a doubt.
    That's three words.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That's three words.
    No kidding.

I'll be dammed.

Last edited by Ltlabner; 11-21-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Turn Off Ads?