Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Tebow Conundrum

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

The Tebow Conundrum

It's strange to me why so many people love to see this guy fail. He has shortcomings as a player that are exhaustively documented, but he also has real value.

What's really mind boggling is that he is the antithesis of the brash, cocky, self-centered athlete. He is someone that many have wanted for a long time, yet he has more critics than almost anybody. What gives?
    Witty signature.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Tebow Conundrum

The guy is just not good at what he does and the media still can not stop talking about him. I personally cant stand tebow. He will NEVER say he does anything right..its annoying when people are that self righteous. Now let me take a step back a minute. I said he is not good at what he does. Which is a true statement, but that doesnt mean he cant have a few good plays. And ill admit he has made some nice looking plays. But on those plays, where he scrambles, beats a defender and makes 1 of his very few good throws, he doesnt take credit for it. Im sorry, but thats just annoying. Everything you do isnt because of someone else. You are aloud to take the credit for something when you do something good. But nope. According to him he is never the reason something worked. Its always someone else. Chose the wrong position to never take credit for anything. Who wants a leader who doesnt claim to be a leader

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    It's strange to me why so many people love to see this guy fail. He has shortcomings as a player that are exhaustively documented, but he also has real value.

What's really mind boggling is that he is the antithesis of the brash, cocky, self-centered athlete. He is someone that many have wanted for a long time, yet he has more critics than almost anybody. What gives?
    Blame ESPN, they knowingly caused the backlash and stoked the flames.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    The guy is just not good at what he does and the media still can not stop talking about him.
    I think that's a fair assessment of the situation. The Jets situation was just a mismatch from when he first came over. Rex didn't want him and I don't think Tannenbaum wanted him either. If the goal was to get the Jets more publicity, it worked but it's not like they needed the publicity boost in the first place. They are in New York and their coach is a media darling. It's like saying Andre Smith needs to get bigger.

After he got released, I read somewhere that Denver coaches and players thought he may be dyslexic (not sure that's already public knowledge or not) and he would mix up the numbers in the plays from the huddle to the line of scrimmage.

I really hope that ESPN signs him to be an analyst on their Sunday show. For as much as they hyped him, I would think they owe him something. I think he would balk at first since he still believes he can play but when mini-camps roll out and he's still unemployed, a job on the pre-game show might look pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Tebow wishes he had Bobby Douglas's career... is ESPN still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Blame ESPN, they knowingly caused the backlash and stoked the flames.
    I've always felt a little bit bad for Tebow in this way. I think the sheer ridiculous lengths his media defenders went to would lead to equally ridiculous attacks on whatever qualities he might possess.

I'd say this. Although he's a charismatic leader and possesses many skills which could be effectively used in the right situation, he's a mediocre at best passer and this drawback makes most coaches hesitant to bring in Tebow and the scrutiny that would follow.

Of course if everyone could just agree to that, ESPN would lose half of its programming.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

But if it wasn't for ESPN, Tebow's 15 minutes of fame, would have been 5 minutes of fame. And I'm sure Tebow preferred the former.

One of his problems is that he doesn't want to play anywhere but QB. While I applaud his belief in himself, it doesn't do him any favors professionally. It also could hurt his image with the fans who like his personality. They may start thinking if he's such a team guy, why won't he move to another position to help the team? But of course they may be as blind as he is in judgement of his skills.

He seems to me like an all-or-nothing type of player. By that I mean that he should either be the starting QB or not on the team at all. Look what being the backup QB got him last year. Whenever the starting QB throws a pick, people are going to start to wonder if Tebow couldn't do a better job. You know that old college football saying: The backup QB is the most popular man on campus. But what if the backup QB was already the most popular man on campus? That's Tebow.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-02-2013)

Tebow is a victim of the way news works these days, we get constantly bombarded by the stories new agencies want us to hear whether we want to hear about them or not. It is a non stop cycle which drives ratings but ends up turning the masses against the athlete eventually. I don't think he really goes out there looking to make headlines it's unfortunately something that follows him around due to being so popular with certain segments of society.

Even if Tebow's career is at the end he still had a darn good run. Won a state championship in Fla, won a BCS championship in 2007, won the Heisman Trophy in 2007, won a second National Championship in 2009, first round draft pick in 2010 by the Denver Broncos, won a playoff game against Pitts in OT. That ain't a bad list of accomplishments to put on your resume.\

Personally I like the guy and feel he has done a lot of good out there in the world through his ministry. Not many folks would walk into the prison system at age 20 and speak with inmates on turning their lives around.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-07-2013),cincrazy (05-05-2013),Revering4Blue (05-02-2013),Sea Ray (05-02-2013),texasdave (05-02-2013)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Great college player. Won the Heisman. Terrible NFL player.

He gets a lot of love for his faith- and while I can't fault anyone for that, it doesn't make him a good football player.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I actually think he's pretty much the epitome of the brash, cocky, self-centered athlete. I can't think of many athletes who have sought and received as much media attention as he has--certainly not many backup quarterbacks.

One of the first things he did when he became famous was to do a Super Bowl ad for an organization and a cause that many people disagree with. Gee, I wonder why so many people dislike him? (And the same would be true if he had done an ad for someone on the other side of the debate.)

That said, if you could avoid all the media attention, he probably wouldn't be a terrible backup QB, or third-string/change of pace guy who plays special teams. But I think the media attention might not be worth it to all but a few teams.
    I disagree he has sought out the media attention. He represented something that he cares about deeply. That's a character flaw now? If I had a deep conviction and had an opportunity to share it with a billion people, I grab that opportunity.

Feel free to not like him as a football player, that's fine (Insure as hell wouldn't want him on the Bengals) but from my vantage point, he's a great character guy who's getting unfairly criticized outside of football.
    Witty signature.

I'm neither a Tim Tebow lover, nor a Tim Tebow hater (well other than beating the buckeyes in 2 national championship games, but I'm well past that).

to the comment above about giving up his QB dream, about being overly cocky about his ability to play the position and refusing to accept another position elsewhere, why shouldn't he have faith in his ability to play the position? He's arguably the most accomplished collegiate player of the last 25 years, certainly one of the 10 most accomplished in that time frame. He gets to the pros, and when given a chance, he again finds him self on the winning side of the scoreboard, even accomplishing a pulling out a playoff victory.

I can't blame ESPN for talking Tebow, I think its 2 very differing sides that fuel the flames more than anything and feed off each other. On one hand, you have a group of fans that are sick and tired of athletes that constantly run afoul of the law. They know most of them are good people, but it seems like you can't go a day with out some well known athlete getting into trouble for one thing or another. I'm not sure that I've ever seen an account that said Tim Tebow was anything less than a great person. He's the type of person you want to root for.

On the flip side, you have people who believe he's too good to be true (from a character standpoint) so they take every opportunity to rip the flaws that he has.

So with every step Tebow has taken in his football career, you've got one side crowing and fanning the flames of the other. When something goes right, the "I love Tebow crowd cheers" while the anti-tebow crowd yells that he sucks, he can't play QB, yadda, yadda, yadda. He stumbles or throws an INT, and the anti-tebow crowd comes out in full force "see I told you he sucks" while the I love tebow crowd takes about what a great person he is.

the constant back and forth is what wears people in the middle like myself out.

I like koreymac's post. I have a soon to be 5 year old son. If my son has accomplished half of what Tim Tebow has in the next 25 years of his life, both on and off the football field, I'll be one proud papa. In another 25 years, Tim Tebow's NFL career will likely be nothing more than a footnote to his well accomplished collegiate career. Tim Tebow's ministry work may still be paying dividends. For that I commend the guy.

No, they don't like him because he can't pass.

Here's the thing, ever since the Jets starting playing last year, it doesn't feel like there's been a ton of Tim Tebow talk. Sure you get it on Mike & Mike in the morning, but greeny talks everything jets all the time, so that's to be expected.

However, lets look at the facts (not anyone's opinion), Tim Tebow, coming off winning a playoff game the season prior, gets traded to the media capital of the world for a team with a coach who has been less than shy about sharing his feelings with the press. Throw in that he was a 1st round draft pick (deserved or not) and heisman winning QB in college, and I don't care what your faith is, nor how good of a character you may or may not hold, that is newsworthy.

Its not like Tebow is the first backup QB to get some run. Matt Flynn was talked about a ton over the course of several off seasons, Matt Schaub got his run on the way to getting moved to Houston. Tebow won't be the first, won't be the last.

And can we please stop acting like he's a complete failure as an football player? He may not be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but its not like he's never won a football game. The Dude's had a better career as a QB in the NFL than 99% of the population. I know I've rooted for more than 1 Bengal's QB (hello Akili & David) who would love to have the success in the NFL that Tebow had in Denver.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Here's the thing, ever since the Jets starting playing last year, it doesn't feel like there's been a ton of Tim Tebow talk. Sure you get it on Mike & Mike in the morning, but greeny talks everything jets all the time, so that's to be expected.

However, lets look at the facts (not anyone's opinion), Tim Tebow, coming off winning a playoff game the season prior, gets traded to the media capital of the world for a team with a coach who has been less than shy about sharing his feelings with the press. Throw in that he was a 1st round draft pick (deserved or not) and heisman winning QB in college, and I don't care what your faith is, nor how good of a character you may or may not hold, that is newsworthy.

Its not like Tebow is the first backup QB to get some run. Matt Flynn was talked about a ton over the course of several off seasons, Matt Schaub got his run on the way to getting moved to Houston. Tebow won't be the first, won't be the last.

And can we please stop acting like he's a complete failure as an football player? He may not be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but its not like he's never won a football game. The Dude's had a better career as a QB in the NFL than 99% of the population. I know I've rooted for more than 1 Bengal's QB (hello Akili & David) who would love to have the success in the NFL that Tebow had in Denver.
    I do agree with what you are saying football-wise. It's just crazy that he won all those games and nobody has given him a chance to play since. I'm not saying teams are right or wrong, but could you have possible imagined after that Pittsburgh game that he might not even be able to find a job as a backup just a little more than year later???

Turn Off Ads?