Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wanting vs. needing--big screen tv

Re: wanting vs. needing--big screen tv

What Ltlabner said. I think you're crazy to even consider it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll agree with those who want you to save up some cash and buy it during the holidays. Then you can say its a gift to the family instead of just for yourself

can't you just make the wife get a job and pay for it with the extra money she's making

my mom and dad just bought a 40" lcd for their bedroom ... financed it for a year ... at 0% interest. They COULD pay cash, but why? They'll establish automatic payments and forget about it.

edit: and they will too. they've done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Plasmas are ones that I would stay away from.
    Why? Because of the supposed shorter life span? If they last as long as the 60,000 hours they're claiming they will, that will amount to over 27 years at six hours a day of use. Even if they only last half that amount of time, it will exceed the amount of time that most televisions get used anyway.

We've got some 13 year old TVs that still work, but they're obsolete. The same will go for the stuff that's new today. By the time it wears out, something better will be available anyway.

For my two cents, a television picture gets no better than plasma.

Looks like some really good prices... Wow, if the quality is good, I might look into this site more. Thanks.
    Monoprice sells top quality stuff at those amazing prices. I don't know how they do it. And, they don't lowball on the price and then gouge on the shipping. The shipping rates are low, too!

Looks like some really good prices... Wow, if the quality is good, I might look into this site more. Thanks.
    I'm a big monoprice guy as well. The quality is great. In fact, the only cable (optical) that I've had problems with is the one that didn't come from monoprice. Don't get taken to the cleaners on cables.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    my mom and dad just bought a 40" lcd for their bedroom ... financed it for a year ... at 0% interest. They COULD pay cash, but why?
    The better question is why not pay cash if you have it? I'm sure your parents will be fine and can handle this but this is the attitude that has created the latest credit "crisis". People have built up massive credit card debt based on the attitude of "why pay now?" You're going to have to pay for it sometime. Why not pay now and then eliminate the risk of something happening and the interest kicking in.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    The better question is why not pay cash if you have it?
    Because if you put credit to work for you instead of letting in take advantage of you, it can be a great tool. Take this example. A $2K TV I can pay off today, or pay in 12 months. Interest free loan? Sign me up! Take that $2K and put it in a 12 month CD a 4%. That nets you $80 (less taxes).

I'm sure your parents will be fine and can handle this but this is the attitude that has created the latest credit "crisis". People have built up massive credit card debt based on the attitude of "why pay now?" You're going to have to pay for it sometime. Why not pay now and then eliminate the risk of something happening and the interest kicking in.
    Lots of people get in trouble with credit, but I know more than a handful that use it very smartly and benefit greatly.

GL

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

What would you rather have if the worst happens and you lose your job? A little money in the bank, or a nice TV to watch American Idol?
    If the economy tanks, he loses his job, and he's out on the street, the $1200 he would have saved by listening to you would have lasted him a month if that. It's not like all of these things are going to happen and the television is going to be the single reason he's in trouble.

Breathe easy. If you want the television, go for it.

There's nothing wrong with the all the advice- it's all very sound, but seriously, if buying a TV is what sends you into financial misery, you weren't in good standing to begin with.

Nothing wrong with buying things on credit if you can stop with the television. Just don't run up a bunch of debt by not being careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Just don't run up a bunch of debt by not being careful.
    Hey Mr. Rockefella, for many of us $1200 is approaching "a bunch". I'm not sure I get the pour-gas-on-the-fire strategy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I"m with you, Rojo, I just think we're going down a little dramatic path over a couple thousand dollars.

No matter what, who you are you can climb out of that kind of hole in little time if everything else in his life goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Lots of people get in trouble with credit, but I know more than a handful that use it very smartly and benefit greatly.

GL
    True but that doesn't make it sound advice. Its playing with fire and you never know when unforeseen circumstances might change your financial situation.

Get the TV.

Your wife can always get a second job.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol
    And I was just a soldier on my way to Montreal
    Well she pressed her chest against me
    About the time the juke box broke
    Yeah, she gave me a peck on the back of the neck
    And these are the words she spoke

Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
    Go to the country, build you a home
    Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
    Try an find Jesus on your own

Well, I sat there at the table and I acted real naive
    For I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve
    Well, she danced around the bar room and she did the hoochy-coo
    Yeah she sang her song all night long, tellin' me what to do

Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
    Go to the country, build you a home
    Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
    Try an find Jesus on your own

Well, I was young and hungry and about to leave that place
    When just as I was leavin', well she looked me in the face
    I said "You must know the answer."
    "She said, "No but I'll give it a try."
    And to this very day we've been livin' our way
    And here is the reason why

We blew up our TV threw away our paper
    Went to the country, built us a home
    Had a lot of children, fed 'em on peaches
    They all found Jesus on their own
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    True but that doesn't make it sound advice. Its playing with fire and you never know when unforeseen circumstances might change your financial situation.
    If handled correctly, you can pay $2K today or pay $1920 later (effectively, since you can make $80 in interest). How is it sound advice to pay up front?

Quite frankly, if unforseen circumstances come up and I needed the money I'd rather have the $2K in hand and let them repo the TV.

Caveat: (Other than the obvious that the person can't control themselves and will spend the money on something else.)

GL

Turn Off Ads?