Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't think that price is too crazy. It's certainly not going to lose any value, it's only going to go up. And you have a large enough collection that you could always sell other items and quickly/easily make that up if you wanted to.
    If I lose, it won't be too bad. I've seen three others go on ebay for more, so hopefully at worse it is a step sideways. I honestly don't care. You live once, I want a Dylan more than anything, it's cheaper to get one that you love and then you won't keep buying lesser pieces to make up for it.

And yes, I'm selling other stuff. I have a whole slew of stuff I could probably get $100 or so for people I don't give a hoot about.

I'm thinking about letting my Michael Jackson go. I feel sort of icky hanging onto it, to be honest.

I also just purchased an original Springsteen paste up poster advertising for his famous run at The Bottom Line. It;s signed by him and three E Streeters.

I'll never get it completed, but it's pretty cool. I just cared abour Bruce's signature, the rest is a bonus. Danny Federici, Bittan, Tallent.

It's poster size and the signatures were gotten back in 1975. It's super cool. If I could post pics I would.

I also got a Foreigner 4 and an Agent Provaceteur record signed by Lou Gramm- they didn't cost me anything, a friend in Rochester got it for me.

As well picked up a Joan Jett/Shepherd Fairley signed print that is really cool. Love that woman.

I'm trying to really reduce the size of my collection (sounds like it I know lol) so I only have stuff I care about. Lots to unload and I need to get on that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    If I lose, it won't be too bad. I've seen three others go on ebay for more, so hopefully at worse it is a step sideways. I honestly don't care. You live once, I want a Dylan more than anything, it's cheaper to get one that you love and then you won't keep buying lesser pieces to make up for it.

And yes, I'm selling other stuff. I have a whole slew of stuff I could probably get $100 or so for people I don't give a hoot about.

I'm thinking about letting my Michael Jackson go. I feel sort of icky hanging onto it, to be honest.

I also just purchased an original Springsteen paste up poster advertising for his famous run at The Bottom Line. It;s signed by him and three E Streeters.

I'll never get it completed, but it's pretty cool. I just cared abour Bruce's signature, the rest is a bonus. Danny Federici, Bittan, Tallent.

It's poster size and the signatures were gotten back in 1975. It's super cool. If I could post pics I would.

I also got a Foreigner 4 and an Agent Provaceteur record signed by Lou Gramm- they didn't cost me anything, a friend in Rochester got it for me.

As well picked up a Joan Jett/Shepherd Fairley signed print that is really cool. Love that woman.

I'm trying to really reduce the size of my collection (sounds like it I know lol) so I only have stuff I care about. Lots to unload and I need to get on that.
    I'd be surprised if you "lose" on the Dylan.

I also think that Michael Jackson is going to only increase too. I feel like the more time that passes, the more forgiving people are being towards him. If you look at sales alone at least it would indicate that.

The cool thing about that Springsteeen is that his signature I believe was different then. His signatures now are in cursive whereas back then I don't think many (if any) were. Probably more rare.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I've never really been a collector but I do have a very few.
    I still have a 1969 Reds scorecard that was signed before a game by Pete Rose, Johnny Bench and Tony Perez.
    I have a letter or two from the late Jack Kemp.
    I have two Chuck Yeager autographs, including an autographed copy of one of his biographies that I know is genuine because he signed it while I was talking to him at a Yeager Scholars event at Marshall University.
    I also have several Martina McBride autographs, including an autographed photo of Martina, my wife and me. Again I know that these autographs are genuine because I was talking with her when she signed each time.
    My "collection" also includes a cast photo from the 1960s TV western "Laredo" signed by William Smith. Last September I attended Comic Con in Columbus and had my photo taken with, and got autographs from, two members of "Firefly," Ron Glass and Summer Glau.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Got Anna Wintour and George Clooney yesterday. Both were surprisingly easy. I wish they all were that easy! I've been feeling spoiled as of late not having to wait long or do much. Not usually how it works.

Justin Verlander and Dave Dombrowski - went to spring training years ago, it was the season before Verlander broke out. I believe Edwin Encarnacion hit a home run off of him off the team bus.

David Eckstein

My favorite autograph is Tim Salmon. For my senior project of high school we had to shadow a professional for 2 weeks. My cousin was/is an executive for UPS in Detroit. I stayed with him and his family for 2 weeks and one day we took the day off and went to a businessman special at Comerica Park. He got really good tickets from his boss so we were sitting 2nd row behind 1st base dugout. We got there early for batting practice and some of the Angels were signing balls. I was lucky enough to get a ball that was thrown to me. I went over to Eckstein first, got his autograph, seems like a really nice guy. Tim Salmon was a few feet away, so I walked over to him, I noticed he was really quiet. At the time the Angels were hovering around .500 and nobody was really thinking much of them. For some reason I thought the Angels were a sleeper and what transpired is a memory I will always remember. Since Tim wasn't saying anything I said "I picked you guys to go all the way this year, I think you are going to win it all" and he rolled his eyes, turned to me and said "yeah right, kid" then walked away.

I sure showed him!

7. Likes:

RichRed (02-07-2014)

And got Sarah Jessica Parker this evening. It's been a good week.

Dom, any insight on how valuable Pele's autograph is? I saw that he signed sort of a lot of autographs, but some have claimed they are still valuable.

Is it worth going to a book signing of his? He has one coming up in about a month.

Dom, any insight on how valuable Pele's autograph is? I saw that he signed sort of a lot of autographs, but some have claimed they are still valuable.

Is it worth going to a book signing of his? He has one coming up in about a month.
    Pele is a highly sought after signature. A few years ago he was ranked #9 of the most valuable living signatures by Paul Fraser, who ranks these from time to time.

http://m.ranker.com/list/the-world_s...ercollectibles

Not sure how it holds up now on places like ebay, but look at the company he's in on the list.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-25-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Going through ebay completed auctions, it looks as though his stuff is pretty valuable. Looks like it will be worth it.

On a side note, just obtained a signed inner sleeve of Led Zeppelin IV- it's basically the lyrics to "Stairway to Heaven" signed by Page and Plant. It's already one of my favorite pieces.

Also scored a signed lithograph of the debut album cover of Black Sabbath- all four original members...it's a pretty big poster and the sigs are huge.

Pele is a highly sought after signature. A few years ago he was ranked #9 of the most valuable living signatures by Paul Fraser, who ranks these from time to time.

http://m.ranker.com/list/the-world_s...ercollectibles

Not sure how it holds up now on places like evay, but look at the conpany he's in on the list.
    I had a feeling that was the case. As I said, doing a book signing here in a month, so I guess it's a must go. I would think if he is doing some signings the value might go down some? And a book is probably worth less than a soccer ball/jersey, but still has some value I'm sure. Surely more value than the cost of the book.

I had a feeling that was the case. As I said, doing a book signing here in a month, so I guess it's a must go. I would think if he is doing some signings the value might go down some? And a book is probably worth less than a soccer ball/jersey, but still has some value I'm sure. Surely more value than the cost of the book.
    Yes, the book will be less valuable, unless it's some sort of limited edition book. Christ, Jimmy Page's photo autobiography signed goes for 2 grand plus....more than a signed album.

My guess with Pele is it will be a few hundred dollar venture- well worth it.

If he'll sign a jersey or ball or photo you'll do better, my guess is his people know the value and they aren't going to allow other things. All they can do is say no.

Cher had that policy and my friend bought ten CDs and said will you sign this one poster since i bought ten and he got it.

Yes, the book will be less valuable, unless it's some sort of limited edition book. Christ, Jimmy Page's photo autobiography signed goes for 2 grand plus....more than a signed album.

My guess with Pele is it will be a few hundred dollar venture- well worth it.

If he'll sign a jersey or ball or photo you'll do better, my guess is his people know the value and they aren't going to allow other things. All they can do is say no.

Cher had that policy and my friend bought ten CDs and said will you sign this one poster since i bought ten and he got it.
    That's a great idea. Maybe I'll grab 5 books and a soccer ball and see what happens. Although I'm prepared to lose that battle. The bookstores are hardcore about the authors signing only the books. But I could also try waiting outside afterwards and seeing if I can catch him that way.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dom, do you display your pieces? If so, do you have pictures of them we can all drool over online somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dom, do you display your pieces? If so, do you have pictures of them we can all drool over online somewhere?
    Doug, how kind.

I have photos of most of them. Is there a way to just post a JPG file or BMP to this site?

Anyone you particularly wish to see?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Doug, how kind.

I have photos of most of them. Is there a way to just post a JPG file or BMP to this site?

Anyone you particularly wish to see?
    I don't know if a BMP would display or not, or that people even used them anymore, but you can upload JPG's to the site. When you reply, you can go to the go advanced option and then you can manage attachments, which will allow you to upload images.

I am not sure there are any in particular that I am dying to see, but reading through the thread over the past few weeks/months it just seems that your collection is awfully impressive and has some really nice pieces in it.

Turn Off Ads?