Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How do you think the Bearcats will do this year?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • .500 or Over

24 47.06%
  • Under .500

23 45.10%
  • Not Sure

4 7.84%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Basketball right around the corner!

UC Basketball right around the corner!

Just curious to what the expectations are. I even added a "not sure" option for those of you who feel strongly enought in neither direction but find it prudent to take the extra time to cast your vote so others know where you stand. You will prove your point I'm sure. That should be one of those "Real Men of Genius" commercials. Heres to you, Master of the middle. Like many politicians you aren't sure where you stand and you want to make damn sure everyone knows. So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, Titan of the Timid, because in the end you stand firmly, right on fence... Thats the short version of course. I'm limited in time.

I don't think this season looks great, but I do expect some improvement. I have liked the Mick Cronin hire from the beginning. I know some UC alums who really think he will get the team back to where it was with Huggins if not further. I think it will take some really lucky breaks because I believe they took a huge hit recruitment with the Huggins firing. I don't know how you pick that back up without a coach with a big name unless you get some luck and win. They have an uphill battle ahead of them. I don't see them a a team that will come in any better than .500 at best. Could be wrong, but the Big East is tough and the injury of Mike Williams was huge. Pretty easy non-conference, but the Big East is just a monster.

For those interested, here is a schedule:

Code:
    Fri. Nov. 9 Belmont (23-10, 14-4 Atlantic Sun) FOX19 8p.m.

Sat. Nov. 10 Western Carolina (11-20, 7-11 SoCon) FOX19 7 p.m.

Sun. Nov. 11 Bowling Green (13-18, 3-13 MAC) FOX19 8 p.m.

Fri. Nov. 16 Coastal Carolina (15-15, 7-7 Big South) FOX19 7 p.m.

Sat. Nov. 24 Fairfield (13-19, 10-8 MAAC) FOX19 1 p.m.

Mon. Nov. 26 South Carolina Upstate (17-11, 9-7 Peach Belt) FOX19 8 p.m.

Sat. Dec. 1 at UAB (15-16, 7-9 C-USA) CSTV TBD

Sat. Dec. 8 at Illinois State (15-16, 6-12 MVC) FOX19 8 p.m.

Wed. Dec. 12 at Xavier (25-9, 13-3 A-10) ESPN2 7 p.m.

Wed. Dec. 19 Mempmphis (33-4, 16-0 C-USA) SPN2 7 p.m.

Sun. Dec. 23 at NC State (20-16, 5-11 ACC) FSN 7:30 p.m.

Sat. Dec. 29 vs. Miami (OH) (18-15, 10-6 MAC) - U.S. Bank 
    Arena FOX19 8 p.m.

Tue. Jan. 1 at Louisville * (24-10, 12-4 BIG EAST) ESPN 2:30 p.m.

Sat. Jan. 5 at St. John’s * (16-15, 7-9 BIG EAST) ESPN Classic 6 p.m.

Wed. Jan. 9 SYRACUSE * (24-11, 10-6 BIG EAST) FOX19 8 p.m.

Sat. Jan. 12 VILLANOVA* (22-11, 9-7 BIG EAST) ESPNU 7 p.m.

Tue. Jan. 15 at Notre Dame * (24-8, 11-5 BIG EAST) ESPNU 7 p.m.

Sat. Jan. 19 PITTSBURGH * (29-8, 12-4 BIG EAST) FOX19 4 p.m.

Wed. Jan. 23 CONNECTICUT * (17-14, 6-10 BIG EAST) CinCW 7:30 p.m.

Sun. Jan. 27 at Seton Hall * (13-16, 4-12 BIG EAST) FOX19 Noon

Wed. Jan. 30 at West Virginia * (27-9, 9-7 BIG EAST) ESPN2 7 p.m.

Sat. Feb. 2 MARQUETTE * (24-10, 10-6 BIG EAST) CinCW Noon

Sat. Feb. 9 at Rutgers * (10-19, 3-13 BIG EAST) ESPN Classic 6 p.m.

Wed. Feb. 13 ST. JOHN’S * ESPN2 7 p.m.

Wed. Feb. 20 USF * (12-18, 3-13 BIG EAST) ES ESPNU 7 p.m.

Sat. Feb. 23 at Georgetown * (30-7, 13-3 BIG EAST) CinCW Noon

Wed. Feb. 27 at Pittsburgh * CinCW 7:30p.m.

Sun. March 2 PROVIDENCE * (18-13, 8-8 BIG EAST) ESPNU N Noon

Thu. March 6 DEPAUL * (20-14, 9-7 BIG EAST) ESPN360 7:30 p.m.

Sat. March 8 at Connecticut * FOX19 4 p.m.

Wed.-Sat. March 12-15 BIG EAST Conference Tournament (Madison Square Garden)

* BIG EAST Conference Game.
    All times are Eastern.
    Game times and dates are tentative and subject to change.
    Go Bearcats!
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 11-06-2007 at 04:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC Basketball right around the corner!

The team would have done better if Henry would have been eligible, but they will still be much better than last year. I think that Wilks will be a star at the university, as will Alvin Mitchell. Mitchell is James White, but a much better outside shooter. He can jump out of the building. I really like those two player's ceilings. Next year's class should be even better. I hope they can build on the comittment of Gates. He's a beast, and he is one of their top comittments in a long time. Let's hope more of his type of player follow suit.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

It's going to be mighty difficult for UC to be where they were with Huggins because they play in the Big East. Can they dominate the conference for a year or 2? Absolutely. But it's tougher in the Big East and UC fans better realize that it's going to be a stretch to go 28-3 every year. And, to be honest, except for that Final Four appearance, those Huggins teams were disappointing in the NCAAs. Perhaps Cronin can improve on that. Moving to the Big East was a good move. I truly believe that you get better by playing tough teams and I think it shows in the NCAAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Big East schedule is self-explanatory; no college hoops conference can compete with the amount of talented depth the Big East has.

Interesting non-conference games include vs. Memphis, @ Xavier (a given), @ NC State (ACC squad), @ UAB (normally one of the better CUSA teams), and @ Illinois State (MVC has been improving dramatically).

As far as how I think the 'cats will do, yes they will finish over .500, but many of their wins will be against their weaker non-conference opponents. A good season in my eyes is making the NCAA tourney, and a disappointing season will be finishing near the bottom of the Big East.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's going to be mighty difficult for UC to be where they were with Huggins because they play in the Big East. Can they dominate the conference for a year or 2? Absolutely. But it's tougher in the Big East and UC fans better realize that it's going to be a stretch to go 28-3 every year. And, to be honest, except for that Final Four appearance, those Huggins teams were disappointing in the NCAAs. Perhaps Cronin can improve on that. Moving to the Big East was a good move. I truly believe that you get better by playing tough teams and I think it shows in the NCAAs.
    I think a record of 20-11 in the Big East is an equal to or greater than a 28-3 record in C-USA. But thats a mighty high goal. Being in the top 5 in the Big East consistently will be a great accomplishment that would probably be equal to what Huggs did IMO. CUSA wasn't tought untill the last few years UC was in it. The teams did a lot of great things, but I don't think they would have looked nearly as good in a conference of the caliber of the Big East.

Although Williams was sort of an unknown for this team - his injury really kills them this year, they needed him inside badly. Adam H will help, but he's another unknown of sorts, and he'll only be here for one year.

This is another rebuilding year IMO. Next season is when I really start to judge Cronin as a coach, and not just a recruiter I guess.

.500 and above, but not by more than a game or two.

First of all, they will be much improved over last year by default. I think there was only one returning letterman last year and a bunch of jucos and freshman. Cronin had to recruit to fill his roster because he entered so late in the game. But he had a full year to recruit for 2007 and the top-15 class speaks for itself.

Talent, size and depth are up across the board for this year, but the Cats are still very raw and unexperienced and will (in the view of some) disappoint due to their inexperience. I think they will finish with around 16-17 wins and could sneak into the NIT if things go well. If Williams didn't get hurt for the season, I would have predicted 19-21 wins. However, it is what it is and the Bearcats are weaker because of it.

The talent level will again rise for next year and I expect the Bearcats to return to a level close to the prime-Huggins years and will compete for the Big East championship.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-06-2007 at 07:35 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Although Williams was sort of an unknown for this team - his injury really kills them this year, they needed him inside badly. Adam H will help, but he's another unknown of sorts, and he'll only be here for one year.

This is another rebuilding year IMO. Next season is when I really start to judge Cronin as a coach, and not just a recruiter I guess.

As a recruiter, I think Cronin has done a better job than I could have expected. There was a lot of turmoil at UC. Not only on the court, but with alumni. To come in and get this team to respectability was a huge task, assuming they are at a respectable level this year. There is no reason to think they won't be. I don't know much about Cronin's coaching ability, but he has worked under Huggs and Pitino. There could be worse mentors, thats for sure. The only thing that scares me is the shadow that Huggs left. Sometimes guys try to fill those big shoes instead of trying to do their own thing. Mick isn't Bob Huggins. He won't be the hot tempered coach who constantly yells at his players to keep them in line. He won't be recruiting the same type of players. He won't be running the same smothering defense and fast paced offense that Huggs installed, at least IMO. Not saying he won't have a fast team, or a good defense, but it won't be the same as what we were used to with Huggs. I hope to see a more organized offense. More of a team oriented style of play. I think that was the downfall of Huggs teams.

Per Josh's Blog:
    Wilks has been cleared

First reported by T-bone, I've confirmed Darnell Wilks has been cleared to begin playing in time for UC's season opener Friday. Which, I'm sure, is a sigh of relief to many people who believe the NCAA has it in for the Bearcats (Adam H., Hernol Hall, etc.).

I'll talk to Mick and Wilks before practice today.

Also, thought this was interesting. The Big East announced today that all 16 teams will begin participating in the men's and women's basketball conference tournaments, beginning in 2009. The school presidents decided this at the their annual meeting on Nov. 6 in Philadelphia.

From the Big East:

Currently, the top 12 teams in the final regular-season standings advance to participate in the men's and women's championships.

The new format will have the teams seeded 9 through 16 meet on the first day of competition. The matchups will be No. 9 vs. No. 16, No. 10 vs. No. 15, No. 11 vs. No. 14 and No. 12 vs. No. 13.

The winners of those four games will meet seeds 5 through 8 on the second day of play. The 9/16 winner will advance to play the No. 8 seed. The 10/15 winner will play the No. 7 seed. The 11/14 winner will meet the No. 6 seed. The 12/13 winner will play the No. 5 seed.

Those four winners will advance to play the top four seeds in the quarterfinal round. Thus, the top four seeded teams still will not play until the quarterfinals, which occurs in the current 12-team format.

Should help the team out a little.

On the Big East Tourney, I think it was the right thing to do. I like the fact that everyone has a shot at the automatic bid.

Im not sold on Cronin just yet. I don't think last season was a real opportunity to judge the type of coach Cronin is. To be honest he has 1 guy who belonged playing big 10 basketball and that was Vaughn. This year will be important to see how the freshmen develop. This year and the next will show what type of coach Cronin really is.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Im not sold on Cronin just yet. I don't think last season was a real opportunity to judge the type of coach Cronin is. To be honest he has 1 guy who belonged playing big 10 basketball and that was Vaughn. This year will be important to see how the freshmen develop. This year and the next will show what type of coach Cronin really is.
    You're serious? He was coaching a bunch of JUCOs that never touched the floor of a D1 basketball game, let alone Big East.

This recruiting class and next years should give you a good reason to love Mick. As for coaching, I can't judge him yet until I see how well these kids develop.

Let me know the next time a team goes 10-17 (somewhere around there) and ends up with the 13th best recruiting class in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In last year's opener when they were playing NKU, the Norse had more division 1 experience than the Bearcats. That should tell you all you need to know. They had to get fillins. Mick simply got the best JUCO players he could get. Part of that plan was to get JUCO players, because they would graduate quickly, and he could then start bringing in really good players. It will all come in time.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    In last year's opener when they were playing NKU, the Norse had more division 1 experience than the Bearcats. That should tell you all you need to know. They had to get fillins. Mick simply got the best JUCO players he could get. Part of that plan was to get JUCO players, because they would graduate quickly, and he could then start bringing in really good players. It will all come in time.
    Yep, last year's team had two, count 'em, two returning players and only one retuning letterman. The other was Ron Allen, a former NAIA player and Katrina refugee, and he saw serious playing time by default last season.

It was a mini-miracle that UC had enough players to even field a team last year. There aren't many Big East basketball schools that have to raid the football roster to find an undersized power forward (Conner Barwin).
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

How easy is the schedule? There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that UC goes .500 in the Big East. They are a very weak team again this year.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    You're serious? He was coaching a bunch of JUCOs that never touched the floor of a D1 basketball game, let alone Big East.

This recruiting class and next years should give you a good reason to love Mick. As for coaching, I can't judge him yet until I see how well these kids develop.

Let me know the next time a team goes 10-17 (somewhere around there) and ends up with the 13th best recruiting class in the nation.
    Obviously players aren't dumb. They see a Big East team with openings ALL OVER the court. Mick Cronin did a terrible job coaching during games last year, I was there and many would agree. Hopefully he learns and does a better job this year. I'm not sold either.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?