Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I missing about Matt Maloney?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

What am I missing about Matt Maloney?

I have to think this guy is going to be a part of the Reds' rotation next year and for the foreseeable future.

* He's a lefty.

* He's got a good K rate (has always averaged more than a K per inning in the minors) and doesn't give up a lot of walks.

* He's had a good season each year in the minors. In 2006 at the A+ level, he led the Phillies minor leagues with 16 wins. He followed it up with a strong 2007 and was a AA All-Star. We traded Kyle Lohse for him soon after. He finished the season strong at Chattanooga/Louisville combined. This season, he started out slow, very slow, but has been excellent ever since.

I'm glad the Reds haven't rushed him. I'm just saying I will be shocked if he's not a mainstay in our rotation for the next 5-10 years. The guy is just a consistently good pitcher. And my god we need a lefty in the rotation.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=476011

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: What am I missing about Matt Maloney?

I don't think he projects to be anything more than a #4/5 type of guy who may be able to give you some innings. There is nothing wrong with that though, he just isn't going to be a world beater.

The Maloney debate has been played out many times. He's got excellent minor league peripherals. Some people think his stuff doesn't translate to major league success. I think he can be successful in the majors, but we won't know who's right until he gets a chance to show what he can do in the bigs.

On the topic of Maloney, does anyone know what the injury was that landed him on the DL? And what his status is, or how long he's supposed to be out?

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    The Maloney debate has been played out many times. He's got excellent minor league peripherals. Some people think his stuff doesn't translate to major league success. I think he can be successful in the majors, but we won't know who's right until he gets a chance to show what he can do in the bigs.

On the topic of Maloney, does anyone know what the injury was that landed him on the DL? And what his status is, or how long he's supposed to be out?
    He has a strained oblique. Not sure how long he is out though.

Dickerson didn't play tonight. Was it just a day off?

You're missing this: He has no control. Major League hitters will destroy him.

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    You're missing this: He has no control. Major League hitters will destroy him.
    Can we quote this post and save it for a 'How Not to Post on RedsZone' thread?

If Maloney doesn't project as a solid major league starter, leave him triple AAA, and hope he continues to put up decent stats, that make him attractive in a trade.

If Matt hadn't had such a miserable start this season he'd probably have had a shot already. I'll bet we see him in September if he's still around next week.

The short answer is stuff. While Maloney makes great use of the stuff he's got, it's pretty mediocre. So while he could very well be a successful major leaguer, he'll never be dominant. I imagine he'll either get a cup of coffee this year or will be trade bait in the offseason.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm just annoyed that he hasn't been given a shot (with all the pitching injurries and uncertainties this year). I think he's at least deserved to get a start in the big leagues. In a lost season, it would be foolish not to give him a start, though I know he is on the DL right now.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm just annoyed that he hasn't been given a shot (with all the pitching injurries and uncertainties this year). I think he's at least deserved to get a start in the big leagues. In a lost season, it would be foolish not to give him a start, though I know he is on the DL right now.
    I don't think he's on the 40-man roster. Plus, if he really is just a AAAA all-star, and you expose him as such in a pointless big-league stint, then you've lost any trade value he might have.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 07-25-2008 at 02:06 PM.

My understanding is that he is a fly ball pitcher that tops out at a speed of 90. That is what translates poorly to the ML and Great American. Successful soft tossing lefties often have a pitch with good downward break. Having said that, his stats are impressive enough to merit a test of that proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    My understanding is that he is a fly ball pitcher that tops out at a speed of 90. That is what translates poorly to the ML and Great American. Successful soft tossing lefties often have a pitch with good downward break. Having said that, his stats are impressive enough to merit a test of that proposition.
    Maloney has a strong curve and change up. His fastball tops out around 91 though. The flyball issue is a big concern for our ballpark though, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I don't think he's on the 40-man roster. Plus, if he really is just a AAAA all-star, and you expose him as such in a pointless big-league stint, then you've lost any trade value he might have.
    He's not on the 40-man, but there are other players who could easily be taken off to make room. The latter part of your argument is valid, but I don't think many other teams are high on him anyway. The reverse also could be true. He could come up and have a great game and really increase his value.

Turn Off Ads?