Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Baseball America Reds Top 10

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: 2013 Baseball America Reds Top 10

...and here is the dreaded FanGraphs Top 15:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...pects-2012-13/
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Can this excerpt put to rest the "Hamilton has a weak arm" and is destined to be Juan Pierre meme?

He has all the skills necessary to develop into a plus fielder — above-average range, good arm and developing reads. The contact I spoke with said the defensive move had nothing to do with the organization’s feeling that Hamilton could not handle shortstop. “It’s more about what he can do, rather than what he can’t, with this move… He’s going to be one of the best [in center field].”
    (I know it won't, but at least it's another bullet in the chamber.)
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 01-30-2013 at 05:41 PM.

4. Likes:

M2 (02-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Can this excerpt put to rest the "Hamilton has a weak arm" and is destined to be Juan Pierre meme?

(I know it won't, but at least it's another bullet in the chamber.
    Hamilton is rumored to have been able to throw 90+ mph from the mound in high school. Not sure I believe it, but I heard it.

I don't think they shifted him to the outfield because they didn't think he could play shortstop, nor do I think Cozart is good enough to block Hamilton from playing shortstop for the Reds. I think they moved him to centerfield purely to get him to the majors quicker. Frustration with Drew Stubbs may also have influenced their decision.

To stay at shortstop he would need a lot of practice and improvement on his footwork to get his feet and body in the proper position to make a good, strong throw to first base. He often made throws from awkward angles, which caused them to be weak and off-target. Too many sidearm and submarine style throws because his body was not in the proper position.

I can see him possibly being moved back to shortstop if they re-sign Choo and/or Cozart fails as a starter. Putting Hamilton back at short would require a lengthy stint in the minors though, so it is not likely to happen.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (01-31-2013)

I think its more a matter of the Reds thinking that Hamilton can be a superb defender in CF. They may still think he can be OK at SS, but I'm guessing that they think he can be top of the line in CF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think its more a matter of the Reds thinking that Hamilton can be a superb defender in CF. They may still think he can be OK at SS, but I'm guessing that they think he can be top of the line in CF.
    I think it is a mix of both. Hamilton has the right tools to be a shortstop, but it would take a while to get to that point.

The most encouraging thing I saw in the fangraphs story . . . concerning Yorman:

Added to the 40-man roster, the talent evaluator I spoke with said he’s excited to see how Rodriguez performs in big league camp this spring, because he feels the veterans will take the young outfielder under their wings and teach him a lot. “He’s a very good person, very smart. Everyone pulls for him.”

We've heard a lot of negative stuff about his attitude and work ethic. This was a different and welcome take.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    The most encouraging thing I saw in the fangraphs story . . . concerning Yorman:

Added to the 40-man roster, the talent evaluator I spoke with said he’s excited to see how Rodriguez performs in big league camp this spring, because he feels the veterans will take the young outfielder under their wings and teach him a lot. “He’s a very good person, very smart. Everyone pulls for him.”

We've heard a lot of negative stuff about his attitude and work ethic. This was a different and welcome take.
    I noticed that too. I was also encouraged by some other tidbits:

1. they believe H-Rod could handle SS occassionally as a bench player. That makes him a lot more attractavie as a role player IMO.

2. Cingrani's secondary pitches were "coming on quite quickly at the end of te year"

3. Gelalich "can be a complete player with very solid tools"

A couple of red flags:

1. Corcino "throws across his body and has some effort to his delivery"

2. Langfield "has to learn how to pitch differently"
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Agreed that this was the most positive take on Yorman's "intangibles" yet. I thought he proved a lot last year once he got back to Dayton. Hopefully it's the foundation he can build on.

Also pleased to read the write up on Lutz, which included speculation he could hit the majors by the end of 2013.

That Gelalich nod for #10 in fangraphs is another source saying wait and see. I didn't know he had injury issues. Perhaps he'll have a great year next year and shoot up our list.

Also, on H Rodriguez, if Hannahan can fill in at SS that will help his case in 2013 and 2014 to take the Donald/Isturis role. Otherwise, he's a late 2014 callup once Frazier either fails at 3b or starts prepping for LF after Ludwick leaves. Either way, it seems Henry is either trade bait (blocked by Phillips) or on the Frazier/Alonso/Francisco plan of several years in AAA barring injuries to the MLB roster.

On Lutz: Lutz is an excellent base runner and has deceptive speed for a 6’3” 235 lb player. “He runs very well despite being a big dude,” a contact said. “When he gets on base, he’s a threat… He’ll go first to third and score on a hit into the gap.”

That gives me hope he can refine his LF game eventually. Sounds like the fact he's actually a good athlete and not just a chubby 1b is why he's got some helium in the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

(I know it won't, but at least it's another bullet in the chamber.)
    As noted by Baseball America when Hamilton was drafted, Hamilton could throw 94 mph. There is some arm strength there that he should be able to draw upon and hone with the different outfield throwing techniques.

I can't find the direct link, see post 4
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ilton+scouting

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    As noted by Baseball America when Hamilton was drafted, Hamilton could throw 94 mph. There is some arm strength there that he should be able to draw upon and hone with the different outfield throwing techniques.

I can't find the direct link, see post 4
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ilton+scouting
    For those who don't now, the claim is that Hamilton could throw 94 mph from the mound. He has an adequate-to-plus arm for any position.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A couple of red flags:

1. Corcino "throws across his body and has some effort to his delivery"
    And the comparison to Ramon Ortiz. I shall never forget what that man did in a Reds uniform, nor forgive it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

Cooper (02-02-2013)

A lot of interesting tidbits in the fan graphs article. I was unaware of the possibility of Lutz maybe being able to handle LF.

It seemed that some of the write ups didn't match up the order they ranked guys in, if that makes sense. A couple guys ranked higher than expected for example had relatively pessimistic write ups and vice versa on a couple of the guys in the teens.

Great read overall.

Another thought about the Hamillton move - lots of young middle infielders get hurt because of the double play and someone else getting them in harms way. I think Larkin said one of the things he was most proud of is not getting a 2nd baseman killed trying to turn the double play. It's a major concern and injury effects the development of many young middle infielders - you put him in CF and he stays out of harms way.

Looking at Corcino's delivery -leads me to believe he would be better placed as a bullpenner than a starter - throwing across the body usually leads to a pretty quick injury.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

Looking at Corcino's delivery -leads me to believe he would be better placed as a bullpenner than a starter - throwing across the body usually leads to a pretty quick injury.
    It hasn't done much to Cueto.

Turn Off Ads?