Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Football 2009 Season

Re: UC Football

UC's ranked 23rd in both the USA Today Coaches' poll and the AP poll. I don't care much about the AP poll since it isn't factored into the BCS, but it's nice to crack the top 25 early in the Coaches' poll.

If UC can win at Oregon State and run the table on the early non-conference schedule, they'd have a solid ranking heading into the remainder of Big East play.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

UC is now #23 in the AP & USA Today Polls.
    #21 in ESPN Power Rankings.

Edit: Looks like Cyclone beat me to it.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Kelly's pre-game whining about opening at Rutgers seems a little silly now. But I understand he's looking for every angle and advantage he can possibly get. The guy doesn't miss a trick.
    I'm very interested to see what kind of a coach Kelly is when his team has the "X" on their back vs. being the underdog and upstart. I think that will show what kind of long-term future he has as a coach -- hopefully at UC but also at any larger program.

I sense the buzz is back about UC football. It's all anyone wanted to talk about at work today around the courthouse.

Hopefully the city and alums respond and get the games sold out.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm very interested to see what kind of a coach Kelly is when his team has the "X" on their back vs. being the underdog and upstart. I think that will show what kind of long-term future he has as a coach -- hopefully at UC but also at any larger program.

I sense the buzz is back about UC football. It's all anyone wanted to talk about at work today around the courthouse.

Hopefully the city and alums respond and get the games sold out.
    Did you ever buy the season tickets you thought about getting? As a UC fan we want you to join in on the fun. Let's fill up Nippert for these guys, they deserve it!

Retired

Glad I dumped my Bengals season tickets and used the cash for UC tickets this year.

Spoken like a man who has never been to a big-time college football game.

I mean, by that logic, why drive to Columbus this weekend to watch OSU v. USC? You're only going to see a few NFL-caliber players on the field. Much better off staying in town to watch the Bengals and the Broncos where EVERYONE is an NFL talent. Right?

Sorry, but Paint's right. Brian Kelly's UC program is a far superior value (when you consider atmosphere at the games, competitiveness of the team, and cost involved) to a Bengals season ticket, IMO.
    I guess the Ohio State Michigan game in 2006 I went to wasn't high profile, or the USC game that i'm going to this weekend. UC football is not Ohio State football, in my opinion. I love college football, but only when it's the elite teams. When you go see UC, you see them play a weak big east conference, with no huge schools on the schedule to face them head to head. It's nothing personal against UC, but i'd rather spend my $ on Bengals tickets any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I guess the Ohio State Michigan game in 2006 I went to wasn't high profile, or the USC game that i'm going to this weekend. UC football is not Ohio State football, in my opinion. I love college football, but only when it's the elite teams. When you go see UC, you see them play a weak big east conference, with no huge schools on the schedule to face them head to head. It's nothing personal against UC, but i'd rather spend my $ on Bengals tickets any day of the week.
    We play Oklahoma, Oregon State, Fresno State the past few years. 2012 we play Ohio State, Miami Fl and Virginia Tech in the same year. 2010 we play Tennessee and Oklahoma. Ohio State plays the Big ten and USC the past 2 years. Other than that it's Youngstown state and the little sister of the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    We play Oklahoma, Oregon State, Fresno State the past few years. 2012 we play Ohio State, Miami Fl and Virginia Tech in the same year. 2010 we play Tennessee and Oklahoma. Ohio State plays the Big ten and USC the past 2 years. Other than that it's Youngstown state and the little sister of the poor.
    We are talking about buying UC Season tickets, so you can't really count Oklahoma since they played them on the road.

When did you guys play Fresno State?

Most of these marquee matchups are once again on the road. No one is questioning UC's scheduling strength, but the fact of the matter is that due to their current facilities they will be playing most of the big dogs on the road.

Lastly, would you like to reclarify your point about Ohio State's schedule? Because from my viewpoint you don't have a point...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    You said you'd rather watch NFL players than schools like West Virginia, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh. I suppose USC and Ohio State are different because a few more of their guys go pro every year?

The schools you rattled off (WVU, Rutgers, Pitt) have produced some amazing players (Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Larry Fitzgerald just in the past few years) and played some amazing games. Schools even smaller have given us current NFL superstars like Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Forte, and Michael Turner.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. You're free to have your own preferences, but I think if you limit yourself to watching just a few 15-20 schools, you miss out on not only a ton of great games but a ton of great players as well.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

You said you'd rather watch NFL players than schools like West Virginia, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh. I suppose USC and Ohio State are different because a few more of their guys go pro every year?

The schools you rattled off (WVU, Rutgers, Pitt) have produced some amazing players (Ray Rice, Steve Slaton, Larry Fitzgerald just in the past few years) and played some amazing games. Schools even smaller have given us current NFL superstars like Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Forte, and Michael Turner.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. You're free to have your own preferences, but I think if you limit yourself to watching just a few 15-20 schools, you miss out on not only a ton of great games but a ton of great players as well.
    Case in point is my alma mater, Marshall. Not exactly a powerhouse despite our nice run in the 90s. If you had limited yourself to a handful of schools back then, you would have missed out on a breathtaking Chad Pennington to Randy Moss combo. Over the years you would have overlooked players like Troy Brown, Byron Leftwich and Ahmad Bradhsaw. Or lesser known NFLers such as Mike Bartrum, Chris Hanson, Chris Crocker, Steve Scuillo, Doug Legursky and many others. We saw in-conference opposition such as Big Ben, Michael Turner, Deangelo Williams and Antonio Gates. Great players are not just limited to the bigger BCS schools.

Are we not allowed to support both the Bengals and the Bearcats? Why does it have to be one or the other? That's all Lance talked about yesterday was Bengals vs. Bearcats. Last I checked, they play in different leagues. I, for one, am going to root for and enjoy the success of both teams...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Are we not allowed to support both the Bengals and the Bearcats? Why does it have to be one or the other? That's all Lance talked about yesterday was Bengals vs. Bearcats. Last I checked, they play in different leagues. I, for one, am going to root for and enjoy the success of both teams...
    I've been a Bengals fan all my life. I just prefer to support one over the other with my money.

It's not that it has to be one vs. the other. It's that now there is a viable alternative for a city that has come to know nothing other than losing football. It's frustrating for UC fans to see the Bengals sell out every game while UC struggles to find 35,000 to fill Nippert.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I've been a Bengals fan all my life. I just prefer to support one over the other with my money.

It's not that it has to be one vs. the other. It's that now there is a viable alternative for a city that has come to know nothing other than losing football. It's frustrating for UC fans to see the Bengals sell out every game while UC struggles to find 35,000 to fill Nippert.
    The issue is pretty simple. Every college grad/student/fan in this area only has 1 pro team to choose from. They have 10-15 viable options to choose from in college football. I have always been a UC fan. If Miami of Ohio started some great run, I still wouldn't be a fan of them. Same goes for every other school that is not UC or Ohio State. Its much easier to sell 65,000 seats to 800,000 people than 35,000 seats to 800,000 people divided by 15.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    We are talking about buying UC Season tickets, so you can't really count Oklahoma since they played them on the road.

When did you guys play Fresno State?

Most of these marquee matchups are once again on the road. No one is questioning UC's scheduling strength, but the fact of the matter is that due to their current facilities they will be playing most of the big dogs on the road.

Lastly, would you like to reclarify your point about Ohio State's schedule? Because from my viewpoint you don't have a point...
    UC plays Fresno State in Nippert later this month, and Illinois also comes to Nippert on Black Friday this season. Oklahoma comes into town in 2010 (game is at PBS). North Carolina State will be the BCS team UC hosts in 2011, though it remains to be seen how solid the Wolfpack may be that season. Virginia Tech rolls this way in 2012.

For the most part, UC's been scheduling home-and-homes with the BCS schools and solid non-BCS schools (ala Fresno State). Oregon State was a home-and-home, and we hosted them in 2007. Oklahoma, Fresno State, Illinois, NC State and Virginia Tech are all home-and-homes, though with the exception of Fresno State and NC State, the home-and-homes have been stretched over a few seasons. Ohio State and Tennessee are the only big dogs on UC's schedule that will be on the road without a return home game here in Cincinnati.

The Hawaii game last season was an exception, but that game happened because of the payout incentive and 13th game offered to teams willing to travel there.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post

Not that it has to be one or the other but they are competing for the entertainment dollar of the football loving public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?