Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Under 10K car recommendations.

Under 10K car recommendations.

Any experts out there? I'm looking for a used car under $10,000.

I am taking a new job and while the commute isn't awful, I need something that gets better gas mileage than my 4RUNNER.

I don't care what body style it is. I would like an automatic (but this wouldn't be a deal breaker) and I don't want anything below 20mpg.

Any ideas?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Under 10K car recommendations.

Are you keeping the 4 runner? If so, then anything that gets you from A to B for good mileage would be great, then the 4 runner when snow starts falling in the winter and 4 wheel drive is handy.

According to this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...ble-used-cars/

toyota's remain pretty highly regarded amongst owners based upon reliability. I have a camry myself (as well as a Highlander that my wife drives) that I bought used, and haven't had any problems with it. If I wasn't worried about winters, I'd look into a corolla.

I have a 2005 Hyundai that is paid off and still chugging along. Great gas milage and good pickup. How is this possible? It weighs about 45 pounds.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I was enjoying my Corolla until someone stole it out of my driveway last night.

What I'm saying is that I'm also interested in this question.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I have a used/savaged 2006 Pontiac G6 that I purchased in 2007. Had 29K miles and it's now past 162K. That's 60 miles around trip for work, numerous Reds and Dragons games, and 4 trips to ST in FL. No major problems. Always get timely oil changes, and new tires and brakes when applicable. Needs some cosmetic work and I planning to upgrade the stereo. Get around 28-30 mpg highway, 21-23 mpg city.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

You can't go wrong with a Mazda3 if you are looking for a commuter car with good gas mileage. I had a 2006 with 2.0l four cylinder and I got about 31-32 mpg and it was quite fun to drive actually.

Quote Originally Posted by danken12 View Post
    You can't go wrong with a Mazda3 if you are looking for a commuter car with good gas mileage. I had a 2006 with 2.0l four cylinder and I got about 31-32 mpg and it was quite fun to drive actually.
    As a 2010 Mazda3 owner, I'll second this.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I have my eyes set on a 2007 Corolla that has 61,000 miles. Got the price down to 11K out the door and I think I might take it. A little bit more than I wanted to spend, but that's okay.

Bought my daughter a used 2009 Hyundai Accent. Nice little car.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys.

I have my eyes set on a 2007 Corolla that has 61,000 miles. Got the price down to 11K out the door and I think I might take it. A little bit more than I wanted to spend, but that's okay.
    We have a 1997 corolla that had about 47,000 when we got it in about 2000-01. Havent done anything to it other than oil changes and new plugs in it a couple of times. Nearly 255,000 miles on it now and it still runs great. Gets about 30 mpg. AC and heat are terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    As a 2010 Mazda3 owner, I'll second this.
    I drove once via carshare. Did not like it. But mostly because I was too tall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    We have a 1997 corolla that had about 47,000 when we got it in about 2000-01. Havent done anything to it other than oil changes and new plugs in it a couple of times. Nearly 255,000 miles on it now and it still runs great. Gets about 30 mpg. AC and heat are terrific.
    I have a 93 Corolla that I got in 2004 with 80,000 miles on it. I now have 190,000 and have also done little to it beyond oil changes and a couple of exhaust issues (i blame these cobblestone streets and potholes in dayton).

Every mechanic that's looked at it has said that the engine in that thing will outlast the body. Seems like they're right.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I was enjoying my Corolla until someone stole it out of my driveway last night.

What I'm saying is that I'm also interested in this question.
    Nothing to add to the conversation other than that stinks! I hope they find your car.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

infiniti q45 20mpg highway
    nissan maxima/infiniti i35
    nissan sentra (b15) chassis 2002-2006 i believe
    honda civic...classically cheap and reliable

stay japanese and and your service bills stay cheap also
    "Why you going to the Airport; flying somewhere?"

Turn Off Ads?