Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Agreed Sun. Is Sampson guilty? Sure, he is. Is this something most other programs do? Yep. Do ALL Division I programs of some quality cheat? Absolutely. It only makes sense.

Follow this logic. In the 1980's (and before), UK was found to have paid their players (or at least their recruit's families). $5000 in an Emory Freight package to play ball at UK, not to mention the $100 handshakes after each game, the girls, and the Lodge. In the early 90's, UNLV was supposedly paying recruits in excess of $50,000 a year to play ball. If I'm a high-end recruit who doesn't happen to bleed a particular color of fanatacism, where is this 18-year-old going to go? To the place which offers the best deal, of course. But, Scrap, though UK was fairly consistently in the Top Ten of recruiting, they weren't always tops. And, also, UNLV was a good recruiter, but not a great one.

There are two possibilities here:

1) Recruits and their families are, for the most part, altruistic and only concerned with their son's education. The money offered by some schools simply wasn't an option. Too, although they were honest about their choice of school, they chose (these hundreds and hundreds of possible recruits) NOT to turn in the dirty program.

Know anyone like that?

or

2) All elite (or those looking to break into the elite) Division I programs are dirty. All of them cheat and pay players. The NCAA looks the other way, for fear of public backlash and occasionally busts a program to look like they're doing their job.

I know which one I'd believe.

The only way I believe differently is if the NCAA busts both North Carolina and Duke for basketball violations. It'll never happen because these are THE two cash cows and flagship programs for NCAA baketball. "They do things right," according to the NCAA. Sure, they do. Uh-huh. Just like F$U and Florida in football (or Michigan, tOSU, LSU, and a host of others).
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 02-17-2008 at 10:30 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The only way I believe differently is if the NCAA busts both North Carolina and Duke for basketball violations. It'll never happen because these are THE two cash cows and flagship programs for NCAA baketball. "They do things right," according to the NCAA. Sure, they do. Uh-huh. Just like F$U and Florida in football (or Michigan, tOSU, LSU, and a host of others).

Then why did Kentucky ever go on probation then? It certainly meets the definition of a flagship program and a cash cow. One of the problems the NCAA has in trying to find schools that cheat is that they have no subpoena power. They can't get a kid or a parent or a coach or a booster to talk to them if they don't want to and they certainly can't get them to tell them the truth if they do talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    You been keeping a low profile these past few days, BRM... how's everything
    Got a house full of sick people, including me. Been that way for nearly a week. Thanks for the concern though.

During the MSU game on Saturday, Dick Vitale seemed certain that Sampson would get fired by the end of the week and said he thought it would be the right move. He said Greenspan should go as well. It's rare but I agree with Dickie V on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Got a house full of sick people, including me. Been that way for nearly a week. Thanks for the concern though.

During the MSU game on Saturday, Dick Vitale seemed certain that Sampson would get fired by the end of the week and said he thought it would be the right move. He said Greenspan should go as well. It's rare but I agree with Dickie V on both counts.
    Don't worry, Dabvu has picked up the slack in the "Give Wily Mo Hell" campaign.

My dad's had the flu the past week or so... feeling any better yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Come on, people. Does making too many phone calls to recruits really make someone a "scumbag"? Seriously?

Personally, I think the police officer in Cincy who killed his pregnant girlfriend is a scumbag. A college basketball coach who violated rules on the number of calls allowed to recruits hardly qualifies as a scumbag. A little perspective is sorely needed in this thread.
    Completely agree with this. I view the word scumbag exactly how you do.

Kelvin Sampson is not a bad person. He has shown by his actions that he cares about his kids, cares about his community, cares about his country, and has done more for all of those than most of the folks calling him names. I just think Sampson divides all the rules and policies to which he's subject into those with moral content and those without, and when rules in the latter group get in the way of achieving his professional goals, he violates them without guilt. It's unfortunate that he feels this way, too. It's going to cost him his job.

My friend had an excellent analogy to this situation.

This is the equivalent of running a stop sign, being pulled over and paying a ticket.
    Then going around the block, running the same stop sign with your middle finger extended at the cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Completely agree with this. I view the word scumbag exactly how you do.

Kelvin Sampson is not a bad person. He has shown by his actions that he cares about his kids, cares about his community, cares about his country, and has done more for all of those than most of the folks calling him names. I just think Sampson divides all the rules and policies to which he's subject into those with moral content and those without, and when rules in the latter group get in the way of achieving his professional goals, he violates them without guilt. It's unfortunate that he feels this way, too. It's going to cost him his job.
    I don't care if Sampson is a good person or a bad person he has a problem with following the rules he is supposed to follow. He is also a pretty poor role model for a group of 18-22 year olds when he disregards the rules he wants to and follows others. Sampson did nothing illegal, however he violated rules that he was suposed to abide by. Its similar to your boss telling you that long distance phone calls are prohibited at work. You dont' like the rule so you don't follow it. You then are fired because you broke the rules that the company set forth.

It doesn't matter whether you like the rules or not you still have to follow them. I want to walk down the street drinking a beer but the rules dictate that I am not allowed. If I do so I am taking an risk knowing that if I am caught doing so I will be ticketed. If I am walking from my house to a neighbor's house then I am pretty much in the clear. However if I am bar hopping then I am taking an even bigger risk. Sampson knew the risk he was taking and knew it had to be elevated because of his past transgressions yet he still violated those rules. He deserves to be fired and fired yesterday. Good guy or not he just can't follow the rules.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    My friend had an excellent analogy to this situation.

This is the equivalent of running a stop sign, being pulled over and paying a ticket.
    Then going around the block, running the same stop sign with your middle finger extended at the cop.
    And then claiming you did not know you ran the stop sign and you didn't realize you were extending your middle finger to the cop.

IU is going thru their version of "due process" to try an ensure they don't have to pay any money to Sampson. They are not re-investigating but instead using the NCAA report.

I believe it was Bilas that said they have already decided what they are going to do and they are going through this process so they can justify it.

Don't worry, Dabvu has picked up the slack in the "Give Wily Mo Hell" campaign.
    I knew I could count on him.

My dad's had the flu the past week or so... feeling any better yet?
    I'm not feeling too bad but my wife and oldest daughter still feel terrible.

Pat Forde on tonight's matchup with Purdue.

Looks like the last game for Kelvin Sampson, the coach with the blue shirt and the blackened reputation. He could well be fired at the end of the week after being charged by the NCAA with major rules violations. The surreal atmosphere of the Hoosiers' past two home games, since the NCAA allegations surfaced publicly, should only intensify for this one.

It also happens to be the only regular-season meeting between two of the game's fiercest rivals. And first place is on the line in the Big Ten. And one of Purdue's stars, Robbie Hummel, had his name surface in the NCAA Enforcement letter of inquiry as an alleged target for some of the Hoosiers' impermissible phone calls.

Gosh I'd like to have Robbie Hummel on the Hoosiers. As great as Gordon is I'd trade his one year for Hummel's four in a second.

Really solid win for the Hoosiers though. The offense was a little sketchy at times, but it has certainly looked better in the last two games. DJ White is pretty good. I'm glad that they played mostly man to man tonight instead of the zone. They've got the horses for man defense, I'm glad to see that Sampson is using them.

Mustberger and Lavin were giving a lot of love to Sampson tonight. The crowd seemed to be mostly in his favor also. I don't care how much the fans like him now or how well the team is playing now, I'm still in favor of Dakich taking over for the rest of the season.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Gosh I'd like to have Robbie Hummel on the Hoosiers. As great as Gordon is I'd trade his one year for Hummel's four in a second.
    Gordon forces way to much stuff for my taste, I am honestly not that big of a fan of his. I will not miss watching him jack up 25 foot jumpers and then see the pouty expression on his face when he misses them.

Looks like Sampson is done and none too soon for my taste, but the problem is do you really trust Greenspan to help select his successor?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    So would I. I really like Robbie Hummel's game.

The crowd and the announcing crew were definitely in Sampson's corner last night. Much different from Saturday's game.

Turn Off Ads?