Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "MEL GIBSON'S" Apocalypto

"MEL GIBSON'S" Apocalypto

Surprising how proud they are of telling us roughly 10 times per commercial that this is MEL GIBSON'S Apocalypto... can that possibly help sell tickets?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: "MEL GIBSON'S" Apocalypto

He's the only recognizable name attached to the project. I think he may have also written & directed it.

I'm going to watch it because it's Mel Gibson. I really like his work and it entertains me.

I've heard all about his idiotic statements also. It surprises me but most people in Hollywood have bothered me with ignorant statements. I don't let their personal life get in the way of my enjoyment or entertainment. I have to seperate some things.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I'm going to watch it because it's Mel Gibson. I really like his work and it entertains me.

I've heard all about his idiotic statements also. It surprises me but most people in Hollywood have bothered me with ignorant statements. I don't let their personal life get in the way of my enjoyment or entertainment. I have to seperate some things.
    That's exactly how I feel. No matter what he does Braveheart and We Were Soldiers are still great movies. And I will probably go to see Apocalypto. As to the original question of why they are putting his name on it, I will say that if I didn't know he was attatched to it I probably wouldn't be considering seeing it, whatever I or anyone thinks of him he makes a good movie.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Wow guess I'm the only one not willing to give money to a guy who is publicly anti-semitic. His drunken tirade was not his first instance of these 'types' of ideas... his father is a virulent holocaust denier... providing any sort of validation that behavior such as his should not be met with whatever repercussions available to the public is unacceptable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Wow guess I'm the only one not willing to give money to a guy who is publicly anti-semitic. His drunken tirade was not his first instance of these 'types' of ideas... his father is a virulent holocaust denier... providing any sort of validation that behavior such as his should not be met with whatever repercussions available to the public is unacceptable, IMO.
    If you knew half of what Hollywood entities actually believed you would probably only read cookbooks, and watch sports.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Maybe so, but until they come out and say it publicly, and with the type of uninhindered hate that Gibson displayed, I'll hafta go with what I know for sure.

And there's a big difference, IMO, between going to see a Russell Crowe movie, a guy generally regarded as being an ass to just about everybody versus the anti-semitic crap spewed forth from Gibson.

Would you go see Michael Richard's Apocalypto?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Personally, I don't care about who made what movie.

If it's good, I'll watch it. If it's not, I won't.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

And there's a big difference, IMO, between going to see a Russell Crowe movie, a guy generally regarded as being an ass to just about everybody versus the anti-semitic crap spewed forth from Gibson.
    Film is art and often the politics of the artist are a problem, but none the less it is art. I went to Film School, we watched everything, including Riefenstahl and numerous Russian propaganda films. Light and shadow is a great way to tell a story.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Would you go see Michael Richard's Apocalypto?
    Sure. That might be hilarious. In an unintentional sort of way.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

There's been a bunch of discussion already on the topic, but I don't find the Richards and Gibson situations analogous in the slightest.

I've watched Roman Polanski films, and plenty of other films by artists who have done "bad things," but, maybe because this recent event is so fresh in my mind, and the hate towards Judaism by so much of the world is an integral part of their countries and their foreign policy... I'm just not willing to give my money to a guy who hates Jews and was raised by a Jew-hater and holocaust denier.

I'm just not willing to give my money to a guy who hates Jews and was raised by a Jew-hater and holocaust denier.
    Not that this in any way excuses Gibson's behavior, but how much should we reasonably expect Gibson to deviate from a doctrine that has been bred into him since he was a young boy? Our upbringings play a substantial role in the way we view the world and those in it. Those raised in racist and/or prejudicial households are likely to carry at least some degree of those feelings into adulthood.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

They call me "chef"

Obviously you feel very passionate about Mel Gibson and know enough about him based on newspaper clippings and Entertainment Tonight segments to make a clear judgement of his character. However, some of us aren't as passionate about guessing celebrity's true feelings and would just like to watch a decent flick.

Turn Off Ads?