Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Re: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

I've always supported Baker, but I don't like bunting with good hitters and I don't like this catching thing.

As I said during spring training, if Mes isn't going to play up here, he should go to AAA and play there. This young man is probably getting blisters you know where. He needs to play in baseball games.

My read on this situation is that it's the Nats. Very good team. So Dusty wants Hanigan twice in the series.

Sorry, Dusty, but if that's true then Devin should have caught the day game on Thursday against the Angels.

I'm hoping that this is only for the Nationals series and Mesoraco will play more going forward but it's kind of intolerable to have such a good young talent sitting on the bench so much.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Maybe he punched out Bailey in the parking lot.
    Mess punched out Bailey in the parking lot?

Whoa, wait til the media picks up on this!!!!!

Dusty did say in the spring that the catching situation would not be a strict split, and not defined by whose pitching for the Reds. He said it would have more to do with matchups. Maybe Hanigan hits Haren well? Like Edabbs44 said, there are a million and one reasons why this happened in the first four game. I'll reserve judgment until later in the season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I've always supported Baker, but I don't like bunting with good hitters and I don't like this catching thing.
    I thought the handling of Mes hit a low point last June 24 against the Twins. http://espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=320624117
    Mes actually played. He was 2 for 3 with a double and a stolen base. Chapman blew the save by giving up a 2 run HR to Willingham. The Reds started to rally in the 9th. Frazier got on start the home 9th. Baker sent Willie Harris up to pinch hit for Mes. I screamed at the tv. (Harris sacrificed Frazier over, Rolen ph and was walked, next two were Hi-C and Willie Valdez. Rally fizzled.

I just knew Baker was going to ph for Mes even though he was coming around with the bat at that time. Harris at the time was hitting .114 with an OPS of .370.

Well, let's at least wait until the allstar break before we freak out over Mes' playing time.

Maybe Dusty is just bringing along Mes slower. Maybe he had a nagging injury at the end of ST.. who knows.. But it's only been 4 games.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

7. Likes:

jimbo (04-06-2013)

Mesoraco should play more cause he's young and was/is a Reds prospect and stuff.

#redsfans
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

9. Likes:

Scrap Irony (04-06-2013)

He obviously doesn't hustle enough. Not enough scrap either. Get him outta here!

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I thought the handling of Mes hit a low point last June 24 against the Twins. http://espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=320624117
    Mes actually played. He was 2 for 3 with a double and a stolen base. Chapman blew the save by giving up a 2 run HR to Willingham. The Reds started to rally in the 9th. Frazier got on start the home 9th. Baker sent Willie Harris up to pinch hit for Mes. I screamed at the tv. (Harris sacrificed Frazier over, Rolen ph and was walked, next two were Hi-C and Willie Valdez. Rally fizzled.

I just knew Baker was going to ph for Mes even though he was coming around with the bat at that time. Harris at the time was hitting .114 with an OPS of .370.
    Harris' OpS meant nothing in that situation, he was sent in to bunt.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Harris' OpS meant nothing in that situation, he was sent in to bunt.
    yeah and it was a bad decision. Mes had hit well that day. By bunting the Reds lost an AB and then wasted Rolen's PH AB. This meant the game was now left up to Hi-C and Valdez. Hi-C was 0 for 5 that day and saw a total of 7 pitches in those 5 ab's and was 5 for his last 28 at the time, Valdez admittedly was 2 for 5.
    Last edited by klw; 04-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Mesoraco should play more cause he's young and was/is a Reds prospect and stuff.

#redsfans
    Wanting to see a little more playing time for a guy who is a year removed from being considered a top-20 prospect in all of baseball is a phenomenon only experienced by Reds fans?

14. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (04-06-2013)

Does anyone else find it ironic that the same people who are preaching patience with Jay Bruce's struggles are jumping all over Baker for his mistreatment of Mesoraco four games into the season?

If you're going to preach patience, shouldn't you be patient with everyone?

Mesoraco is a major leaguer. They don't all start every game. His time on the roster is still better than playing in AAA IMO. He'll get his chances and I still think he's this team's guy for the next several years.

Team seems to be doing well with Hanigan back there, but he won't be any good if he plays much more than 60% of the time. Mes will play and I predict the team will transition to more and more PT as the season wears on. Hanigan is a free agent after 2013. The Reds know it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

jimbo (04-06-2013),remdog (04-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Wanting to see a little more playing time for a guy who is a year removed from being considered a top-20 prospect in all of baseball is a phenomenon only experienced by Reds fans?
    It's been four games, and the Reds have won the last three of them against really tough teams while the pitching has been stellar.

Why fix what isn't broken?

I'm guessing Baker wanted to put Mesoraco in a less pressure-packed game situation so that he could experience some success. There's nothing wrong with that move, if so. Hanigan had an off-day after OD, so it's not like he's worn down.

Jeez, the love for Mesoraco borders on the ridiculous here.

19. Likes:

edabbs44 (04-06-2013),jimbo (04-06-2013)

I'd just like for the kid to get an extended look, and a chance to string some AB's together. Settle in a little. If that's ridiculous, so be it.

21. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (04-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It's been four games, and the Reds have won the last three of them against really tough teams while the pitching has been stellar.

Why fix what isn't broken?

I'm guessing Baker wanted to put Mesoraco in a less pressure-packed game situation so that he could experience some success. There's nothing wrong with that move, if so. Hanigan had an off-day after OD, so it's not like he's worn down.

Jeez, the love for Mesoraco borders on the ridiculous here.
    Yeah, it probably is a bit ridiculous to criticize Dusty for four games. We should wait for a couple of months to see how he splits the catching situation. I would have liked Mes to get more playing time last year but it is hard to argue with the results.

For me personally, Mes and Chapman are the two guys who are the toughest for me to be objective about. You are talking about a potential middle of the order bat at catcher and a potential front-line left-handed starter. Those two types of players are obviously extremely hard to find. And it is not like they are overrated prospects by Reds fans who pay attention to our own farm system as there are multiple national "experts" who have rated them very highly. Because of positional scarcity and close to universal praise, I personally put them into a different category than the other prospects the Reds traded who were either redundant parts or probably not as good as some Reds fans perceived them to be.

Strategically those two are probably the toughest call for both Dusty and the organization. If the Reds were bad, both would be getting the opportunity to prove themselves. With the Reds a legit contender, Dusty's going to do what he feels is best to win now. I really do see where Dusty is coming from. But the "if it ain't broke" posts can be frustrating because while neither the catching situation nor the rotation is "broke", both could be improved upon and you have guys in-house with the potential to be that improvement.

Turn Off Ads?