Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Ban: First Weekend Reactions

Re: Smoking Ban: First Weekend Reactions

Smoking ban's been in effect in DC for 5 months now, and we couldn't be happier about it.

And by all accounts, the D.C. restaurant/bar scene isn't suffering a bit--so I guess it's true: ambiance, quality, and location matter a heckuva lot more than being able to blow your toxic fumes all over the place.

Whoda thunk it?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well then I guess you've got the answer, everyone needs more coats.
    Yea, that's what I said.

Was just making the point that I don't count having to wash the clothes as a downside to going out because (1) I have to wash them anyway (2) I usually plan ahead and wear clothes that I don't really care if they get smoky.

As far as Cincy goes - everyone seems to start their partying before games over on Newport. You adapt.

I've always stated that a common sense law could have been enacted that protected the rights of both sides. Ban smoking, but allow those establishments that chose to do so - and many had them already constructed - to maintain enclosed smoking rooms/lounges. Problem solved, right?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC;1334379allow those establishments that chose to do so - and many had them already constructed - to maintain [b
    enclosed[/b] smoking rooms/lounges. Problem solved, right?
    You mean, like those little glass zoo cages they have at airports, where everyone can walk by and point at the smokers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I usually plan ahead and wear clothes that I don't really care if they get smoky.
    Some of us like to look nice when we go out, you know. :

Colorado's smoking ban has been in effect since last summer. Some bar owners have started to openly defy it now. This article is from March.

Four Colorado Springs bar owners who recently announced plans to defy the state's smoking ban were cited Friday for suspected violations of the law.

Customers openly smoked at the bar of Murray Street Darts early Friday afternoon, about an hour after a visit from police officers and state liquor inspectors ended with owner Bruce Hicks holding a stack of tickets listing 22 suspected violations of the law, each carrying a $200 fine.

"They are trying to shut us up," said Hicks, who has tried to organize bar owners to join him in a rebellion against the ban that calls for each to collect $1 from customers who choose to smoke for a "get-out-of-jail" fund. He said he does not plan to change course now.

"Do you think it will make a difference if they give me four or five more?" Hicks asked.

While Hicks said he will fight the tickets -- which add up to $4,400 -- he wasn't the only one to get them Friday. Joe's Bar on Flintridge Drive received 15 tickets, The Hilltop Lounge on Barnes Road got eight, and D.J.'s Bar and Grill on East Fillmore Street got four, adding to two issued at that business a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Some of us like to look nice when we go out, you know. :
    Glad to see a law was passed so you wouldn't get your favorite clothes dirty.

Will we be passing a law now that prevents people from spilling their drinks on your new shoes?

Four Colorado Springs bar owners who recently announced plans to defy the state's smoking ban were cited Friday for suspected violations of the law.

Customers openly smoked at the bar of Murray Street Darts early Friday afternoon, about an hour after a visit from police officers and state liquor inspectors ended with owner Bruce Hicks holding a stack of tickets listing 22 suspected violations of the law, each carrying a $200 fine.

"They are trying to shut us up," said Hicks, who has tried to organize bar owners to join him in a rebellion against the ban that calls for each to collect $1 from customers who choose to smoke for a "get-out-of-jail" fund. He said he does not plan to change course now.

"Do you think it will make a difference if they give me four or five more?" Hicks asked.

While Hicks said he will fight the tickets -- which add up to $4,400 -- he wasn't the only one to get them Friday. Joe's Bar on Flintridge Drive received 15 tickets, The Hilltop Lounge on Barnes Road got eight, and D.J.'s Bar and Grill on East Fillmore Street got four, adding to two issued at that business a week ago.
    This is the part I don't understand. I was told in the other thread that most business owners wanted this ban, but were afraid to do it on there own. Ok fine, but obviously there are business owners and patrons that don't like the ban. Why can't they have their own little bar where they can smoke where ever and whenever they want. They can call it the "Smoke House" or something that way people who don't smoke don't go in there and get their clothes stinky.

If it's owned by a smoker and smokers go there, why would anyone else care what they do there?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    This is the part I don't understand. I was told in the other thread that most business owners wanted this ban, but were afraid to do it on there own. Ok fine, but obviously there are business owners and patrons that don't like the ban. Why can't they have their own little bar where they can smoke where ever and whenever they want. They can call it the "Smoke House" or something that way people who don't smoke don't go in there and get their clothes stinky.

If it's owned by a smoker and smokers go there, why would anyone else care what they do there?
    I guess some restaurant owners were fine with it but most bar owners fought the ban last summer and are still fighting it now. At least they are here in Colorado. Some bars in Colorado Springs have a "donation" jar where smokers put a buck or two in the jar to help the owner pay the fines for defying the ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Same reason some of the Big Oil companies are lobbying for more stringent pollution/emmisions standards - they would like to do it, but if their competitors aren't forced to do it along with them, it'll cause them to lose profit as their customer base shrinks.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

We've had the ban up here for some time now. I have always been of the mindset that "if I know there is smoking there and I choose to still go, it is my choice", but I must admit to liking the ban. We are non-smokers (my wife is an ex-smoker 14 yrs removed). Since we have a 5 yr old daughter, it is very nice to have a few more options of "fun places" open to us.

I did have one funny thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I was jogging on a path in a town park, struggling mightily as 41 years can do to one, when I passed 2 middle-aged women walking on the path and both smoking. I was dying out there and then, due to my excruciatingly slow pace, I inhaled (quite deeply due to the gasping) enough smoke to almost knock me over. I don't promote a smoking ban for all public places, but that had me looking at my stance again for sure. I just laughed it off of course, along with the somewhat contradictory activites they were engaging in (on par with my diet Coke and a chocolate covered Payday bar?!?). I am sure some people just don't realize how nasty/gagging that smell is for some others.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I didn't think the smoking ban was put in place to improve the wait time at restaurants or to allow anyone to wear their clothes for more than a day.

Anyway, the smoking ban in Bloomington has been reported to have caused an uptick in the local restaurant revenue because it is believed more families are eating out now.

On a personal level, I am glad to not hack up a throat full of pflegm the morning after going out to listen to some music. And I'm happy for my kids who will probably be exposed to far less second hand smoke than I was as a result of the ban.
    Anybody remember smoking in grocery stores? How gross is that now in retrospect?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    Same reason some of the Big Oil companies are lobbying for more stringent pollution/emmisions standards - they would like to do it, but if their competitors aren't forced to do it along with them, it'll cause them to lose profit as their customer base shrinks.
    Okay so the restaurant owners that want the ban don't want the smokers smoking in there building but they do want their business. It's not fair if that smoker can go to a restaurant that allows smoking and spend his money. But when it comes down to it that restaurant owner is going to choose the money over clean air. So they get the government to force the other restaurants to do what they wouldn't even do themselves on their own.

So now you've got restaurants collecting money to pay the smoking fines. Why couldn't the restaurant owners who wanted the ban collect money to pay for the loss of business from smokers going to other restaurants? Wouldn't clean air be worth it to the non-smoking patrons?

Oh well I don't smoke anyway, so it doesn't really effect me one way or another. I just don't like the idea of the government forcing business owners to do something because the business owners that wanted it were afraid to do it on their own. And I probably shouldn't take this any further on this website for I don't want to risk breaking the rules.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I neither smoke nor hang around in bars.

I do not skip and jump, press wildflowers or dress up in womens clothing.

I am not a lumberjack.

Alcohol is next.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?