Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7/8/07 Minors

Re: 7/8/07 Minors

Travis Wood was pulled.............didn't seem to be of ineffectiveness, hopefully something minor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Devin Mesoraco went 2-for-3 with two singles and a HBP today as the GCL Reds lost 6-2. Mesoraco is hitting .333/.412/.367 through 34 plate appearances with three walks and only two strikeouts.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...dsrok_pirrok_1

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Devin Mesoraco went 2-for-3 with two singles and a HBP today as the GCL Reds lost 6-2. Mesoraco is hitting .333/.412/.367 through 34 plate appearances with three walks and only two strikeouts.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...dsrok_pirrok_1
    Mesoraco is better than Jay Bruce

Pedro Viola: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K as he continues his dominance of the FSL. He's now thrown 10.2 innings of scoreless baseball with 15 strikeouts since his promotion to the Sarasota Reds.

Travis Wood: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K

Recap

Louisville Won 4-3

• Machado: 2-2, RBI, 2 BB, 2 R
    • Janish: 0-4
    • Dickerson: 1-3, R, 2 K
    • Hanigan: 0-3, K
    • Ramirez: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
    • Medlock: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
    • Santos: 1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
    • Majewski: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Sarasota Lost 1-0

• Griffin: 0-4
    • Valaika: 0-4, K (.050 A+ BA)
    • Symanski: 0-4, 3 K
    • Wood: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K
    • Pauly: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
    • Viola: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Dayton Lost 7-5

• Heisey: 1-5
    • Turner: 4-5, HR, 2B, RBI, R
    • Kainer: 2-4, HR, RBI, 2 R, K
    • Cozart: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, K
    • Webb: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
    • Tabor: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K

Billings Lost 13-1

• K. Jones: 1-4, 2B
    • Menchaca: 0-3, 2 K
    • Waring: 0-3, 2 K
    • McKennon: 1-3, 2B, R
    • Bowman; .1 IP, 3 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K

GCL Reds Lost 6-2

• Reed: 1-5, K
    • Moreta: 0-2, BB, K
    • Soto: 0-4, K, R
    • Mesoraco: 2-3, R
    • Otterness: 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
    • Fiebeg: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB
    • Made 6 more errors: (E: Otterness (2, pickoff), Moreta 2 (5, fielding, throw), Mesoraco (2, throw), Sanchez (3, pickoff), Pullen (1, throw).]

-Lookouts DNP
    -VSL Reds/Rays DNP
    -Votto had a HR in the futures game
    -Bruce tripled in the futures game
    -Janish was called up to Louisville (for the time being) to replace Pedro Lopez

Wow, Valaika is really struggling. Maybe that's why they aren't promoting Turner? That's about the only reason I can think of...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Wow, Valaika is really struggling. Maybe that's why they aren't promoting Turner? That's about the only reason I can think of...
    He was in a funk in Dayton before even being promoted to Sarasota. I think it's just a combination of a slump, plus a new level. He'll adjust and snap out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't find it very surprising. Form what I can tell, he doesn't have a very good plate approach. Something that more advanced pitchers will take advantage of.

Turner's numbers suggest he would be more successfull than the overvalued Valaika.

Problem with Valaika is he's not overly fast, not really a power hitter, doesn't walk alot, and probably doesn't have the range to play SS at a high level.

He's just kind of a tweener who doesn't have a talent that sticks out at you. I don't know how much different Turner is either.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Problem with Valaika is he's not overly fast, not really a power hitter, doesn't walk alot, and probably doesn't have the range to play SS at a high level.

He's just kind of a tweener who doesn't have a talent that sticks out at you. I don't know how much different Turner is either.
    He sounds like Freddy Sanchez.

Kind of like Dustin Pedroia, he just gets hits.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

sounds a tad like brendan harris, no? give it time, we will see

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Kind of like Dustin Pedroia, he just gets hits.
    Pedroia is hitting .310/.400/.450 at the major league level, with a 22/30 K/BB ratio at age 23. He was in AA in his first full professional year (age 22) and hit .324/.409/.508 with a 26/34 K/BB ratio. He destroyed A Ball.

Valaika is just a year younger and hit .324/.387/.520 with a 61/24 K/BB ratio in rookie ball. This year in A+, he hit .307/.353/.493 with 17 BB to 72 K in 300 AB. That low IsoOBP is sort of scary unless he's got Howie Kendrick type contact ability. Striking out that much in rookie ball after a 3 year college career is sort of unnerving as well. Based on the walk totals, it's not like he's simply working deep counts. I wonder what his BABIP looks like. The IsoSLG is quite nice from a middle infielder.

He is most definitely NOT like Dustin Pedroia though. Looks like more like a Brandon Phillips without the speed. Not a guy who profiles well at a corner position unless that power continues to grow.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I just meant that he doesnt really have many, if any "tools", but he just continues to get hits.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?