Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common sense prevails (finally) in Ohio

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Common sense prevails (finally) in Ohio

http://www.trucknews.com/issues/ISAr...issue=04032009

Ohio to increase truck speed limit

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- It appears as though trucks will soon be able to travel at the same speed as cars through Ohio, after the Senate approved legislation that would create a single speed limit for all vehicles.

Currently, trucks are limited to 55 mph while cars can travel at 65 mph on Ohio interstates, with the exception of the Ohio Turnpike. Ohio is one of 11 states that currently has split speed limits.

The Ohio Trucking Association began lobbying for uniform speed limits for trucks and cars earlier this year.

Local media reports the increased speed limit for trucks will take effect in 90 days.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Common sense prevails (finally) in Ohio

It should be 70mph outside of city limits.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It should be 70mph outside of city limits.
    I was just going to post the exact same thing.

On the interstate that I take everyday, the speed limit is 65 and many trucks go much faster than that. And while I've seen plenty of cars pulled over in speed traps, I've never seen a semi get stopped.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Talk about a thread title I thought I'd never see . . .

Why is this common sense? I genuinely don't know. I know that in Atlanta I felt like I was taking my life in my own hands with semis down there, they drove like psychopaths, something I had never thought in Ohio. But I couldn't even tell you if the speed limits for trucks were any different in Georgia, I didn't really pay attention.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Why is this common sense? I genuinely don't know. I know that in Atlanta I felt like I was taking my life in my own hands with semis down there, they drove like psychopaths, something I had never thought in Ohio. But I couldn't even tell you if the speed limits for trucks were any different in Georgia, I didn't really pay attention.
    May be a different driving culture down there.

I'd say it makes sense in that there tend to be fewer accidents when there is a consistent flow of traffic. Hopefully with the change, you'll have fewer drivers trying to fly past a trucker putting his signal on to avoid getting stuck behind the passing truck. Also, it won't be so annoying to be stuck behind a line of passing trucks. Truckers will still be subject to reckless driving rules (just like everyone else) if they go too fast, and for them it could mean a loss of license.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I agree with your sentiment about driving in Atlanta. In fact, pretty much everybody drives insane down there.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I agree with your sentiment about driving in Atlanta. In fact, pretty much everybody drives insane down there.
    Several million aspiring NASCAR drivers.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I am not a truck driver but am in favor of this. I always hated driving through Ohio as it seemed like there was never any flow on the interstates. Perhaps this split speed limit had much to do with it.

As for Atlanta...different world of driving, one that I am not eager to revisit again anytime soon.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Atlanta is absolutely nuts, but that's a whole different story. The truth is that split speed limits create more interaction between slower and faster vehicles, which creates more opportunity for accidents to happen. The states with uniform speed limits have a much better flow of traffic and lower accident rates involving trucks.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I'm very glad to see this. Split speed is an incredibly dangerous system, one that as previous posters have mentioned causes accidents and flow problems. Thumbs up to Ohio on this one.

That makes sense ORH, thanks for explaining.

And yeah Atlanta is really insane. I'd heard stories, but it was still shocking to see people driving so aggressively. I'm the guy that never goes more than 5 over though, so it was probably especially weird for me.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

What was the reason for it being lower in the first place? Were there any safety concerns involved? (though ORH's safety argument makes perfect sense). In 1999 I was hit by a semi; it totaled my car. The back of the semi veered into my lane, arguably because it was swaying from going too fast, so I've always been a little leery of fast-traveling semis unfortunately.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Atlanta is absolutely nuts, but that's a whole different story. The truth is that split speed limits create more interaction between slower and faster vehicles, which creates more opportunity for accidents to happen. The states with uniform speed limits have a much better flow of traffic and lower accident rates involving trucks.
    Hopefully this will cut down on the insanity that is one truck passing another truck, taking up both lanes of travel in one direction on a four lane interestate, with one doing 55 MPH and the truck in the "high speed" lane passing at 55.5 MPH.

I once sat behind two trucks passing one another for almost 7 minutes (I timed) on I-75. When the pass finally finished, traffic was backed up at least 25 cars deep in both lanes.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?