Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Re: Q&A with Marty - comments on Dunn, pitching, and playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Listen to one hour of a Cincy based sports talk show
    Why oh why would anyone do that?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Below is a list of the stats run beneath a players name when he comes to bat on the local TV broadcast. [/code]
    You probably get some local Oakland games ... do they drop OBP, etc. at all during their broadcasts (either radio or TV)?

The impression I have recieved is that they do, though this was garnered from an internet message board a few years back so I took it with a grain of salt.

GL

You probably get some local Oakland games ... do they drop OBP, etc. at all during their broadcasts (either radio or TV)?

The impression I have recieved is that they do, though this was garnered from an internet message board a few years back so I took it with a grain of salt.

GL
    Yes they do, they also talk about pitch counts without the sound of their eyes rolling back in their sockets.

Yes they do, they also talk about pitch counts without the sound of their eyes rolling back in their sockets.
    What's wrong with pitch counts?

Nice, ha ha. It would appear that our good broadcasters have been given some instruction as to the content of their broadcast.

I have vowed this season to try listen to a few radio games from different markets such that I could compare them to Reds broadcasts. I know a few of them are downright awful and would have me begging for Marty.

GL

OK, I just hit total consciousness.

Some of us are POd because we don't think Marty is living up to his potential. Sure what he gives us is pretty darn good, but we see more there.

Some of us are POd because we don't think Dunn is living up to his potential. Sure what he gives us is pretty darn good, but we see more there.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    What's wrong with pitch counts?
    I don't know, ask the numerous announcers who refer back their youth (often in the hitting starved 60's) as the time when guys threw 10,000 pitches a game, as they deride the pitchers today.

I don't know, ask the numerous announcers who refer back their youth (often in the hitting starved 60's) as the time when guys threw 10,000 pitches a game, as they deride the pitchers today.
    There is a happy medium there, somewhere, and I think it depends on the individual. You have to know your pitchers.

Interesting to note that Little League Baseball has initiated mandatory pitch counts, effective this season. That's a huge step in the right direction. Now if we can just get a "Ban" on the curveball for the 9-12's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    So the nature of the pitches Dunn sees when he does these things is not shaped by the lineup surrounding him? Wow, that shows real insight into the game.
    Of course it does. But he can't drive in three runners with nobody on base. With bases empty, it's really his skill vs the pitcher's, and the pitches called. You're right. It's not a vacuum.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-31-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

There is a happy medium there, somewhere, and I think it depends on the individual. You have to know your pitchers.

Interesting to note that Little League Baseball has initiated mandatory pitch counts, effective this season. That's a huge step in the right direction. Now if we can just get a "Ban" on the curveball for the 9-12's.
    Thats good to hear, it should prevent coaches from riding those young guys too hard.

Hopefully the curveball will follow.

GL

Brenneman and Dunn are easily the two biggest lightning rods on this site and we've got the pleasure of linking the two together in this thread. Yee-haw!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Brenneman and Dunn are easily the two biggest lightning rods on this site and we've got the pleasure of linking the two together in this thread. Yee-haw!
    I think this thread is the RedsZone equivalent of the nexus of the universe.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Thats good to hear, it should prevent coaches from riding those young guys too hard.

Hopefully the curveball will follow.

GL
    It is amazing how much abuse some of the young arms have taken. It is amazing to me that the curve ball has not already been banned.

My son, who is a lefthander, has really good pitching mechanics as a 9 year old, and I want him to learn the right way. We've worked on it ever since he could pick up a ball. With that said, I really don't want him to pitch much right now. A lot of the guys in our organization tell me that he needs to get as much work against live hitting as possible, but I really don't agree. I'm looking much further down the road. The arm simply isn't ready to throw a lot of pitches at this juncture. Everything is not connected and strong.

I've been studying bio-mechanics and it really has opened up my eyes from both a hitting and throwing perspective. Real interesting stuff that I wish more people at the little league level would study.

It is amazing how much abuse some of the young arms have taken. It is amazing to me that the curve ball has not already been banned.

My son, who is a lefthander, has really good pitching mechanics as a 9 year old, and I want him to learn the right way. We've worked on it ever since he could pick up a ball. With that said, I really don't want him to pitch much right now. A lot of the guys in our organization tell me that he needs to get as much work against live hitting as possible, but I really don't agree. I'm looking much further down the road. The arm simply isn't ready to throw a lot of pitches at this juncture. Everything is not connected and strong.

I've been studying bio-mechanics and it really has opened up my eyes from both a hitting and throwing perspective. Real interesting stuff that I wish more people at the little league level would study.
    Unfortunately for the children, the emphasis is often on winning and not player development. I think you are taking the right route with your son.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Unfortunately for the children, the emphasis is often on winning and not player development. I think you are taking the right route with your son.
    Nothing wrong with developing the winning aspect, if you don't abuse the kids. Winning is the object of the game, but teaching kids to do it the right way is the best thing that coaches in youth league's can accomplish.

Turn Off Ads?