Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: 6/28/2007 Reds vs Phils - Game 3

Re: 6/28/2007 Reds vs Phils - Game 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's not just that. We're frustrated because this team has come so close to winning the last few series yet they lost them all. A bunch of close rubber games have gone the other way recently. This team is bad but it's not as bad as its record. Due to its bullpen, game management and general imbalance it is playing "below its head". The good news is all is not lost. Given the right decisions this team could/should be worth watching as soon as next year.
    I sincerely hope you're right, but I don't see what you see. What if votto is not the answer at first base? What if Dunn and Griffey go away and the outfield looks like Hopper, Hamilton and Freel? And all we get back are relief pitchers (which I really believe is the plan). What if we continue to hitch our wagon to three cathers, none of which can hit their way out of a paper bag? What about the mental errors that cost us game after game? What about the abusing of our valuable arms by a manager and pitching coach that seemingly do not have a clue?

It all adds up to disaster to me, but I've been saying this for how long? All the big talk from the owner and GM about this team being really good just make sme sick. And playing "below its head" means the same thing every time--losing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I sincerely hope you're right, but I don't see what you see. What if votto is not the answer at first base? What if Dunn and Griffey go away and the outfield looks like Hopper, Hamilton and Freel? And all we get back are relief pitchers (which I really believe is the plan). What if we continue to hitch our wagon to three cathers, none of which can hit their way out of a paper bag? What about the mental errors that cost us game after game? What about the abusing of our valuable arms by a manager and pitching coach that seemingly do not have a clue?

It all adds up to disaster to me, but I've been saying this for how long? All the big talk from the owner and GM about this team being really good just make sme sick. And playing "below its head" means the same thing every time--losing.
    How is it that so many on Redszone are so omniscient with the inner workings of the Reds front office. I really want to know how I can get my own personal pipeline of information so I can speak with such certainty around here. I understand you state this is your opinion, but how on earth would you have any way of knowing that?

Yes, this club could prove to be a disaster. Yes, it's possible Votto might not work out; it's happened time and again in baseball. Yes, bad trades are made, but that doesn't mean bad trades will always be made. There's just too little information available to correctly predict the future.

This club is so maddening because aside from the schizophrenic pitching, the team should be performing much better than they are. They aren't, but that doesn't mean better days can't come.

Today is my first day going to a game this year.

Next week I'm going to another.

I don't think I've been to a game this late in the season that Reds were this far back so early in the year.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

My friend summed it up nicely.
    It's a mediocre team on paper.
    That's performing poorly.
    And the record is 7 games below where their performance would indicate they should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

It all adds up to disaster to me, but I've been saying this for how long?
    Sure, say it long enough and eventually you will be right.

All of those bad things you mentioned could happen. Of course, an astroid could hit the stadium and cause it to implode.

I'm not wailing and ganshing my teath over the astriod.

Black hellicopters that follow me everywhere...that's a different story.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 06-29-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Let's see what would have to happen for such doom to take over GABP. First of all we'd have to lose Griffey, Dunn, Hatteberg, Weathers, Conine, and Lohse for nothing in return. Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Carlos Fisher, Calvin Medlock and others would all have to bust and all four rookie relievers would have to fail to become competent major leaguers. Management would also have to decide that this coaching staff has done a good job and deserve to be retained next year. Yeah, maybe all those things will happen but I doubt it.

Wow.

Krivsky and Narron must go, Bob Castellini. You know it or you're senile, dumb or both.
    Personally I think firing the GM 18 months into his tenure is the surest way to assure that the Reds never get the chance to hire any quality candidates for the front office. Am I dumb too?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Personally I think firing the GM 18 months into his tenure is the surest way to assure that the Reds never get the chance to hire any quality candidates for the front office. Am I dumb too?
    What if he does a lot of damange while you wait for him to "Come around?"

Pedro, i don't know the answer, but what we're doing is not working. Sometimes you have to make a fresh cut and try to do better regardless of the outcome.

And the dumb part was pointed at Sir Robert C. And probably wasn't fair. He's probably just as upset as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let's see what would have to happen for such doom to take over GABP. First of all we'd have to lose Griffey, Dunn, Hatteberg, Weathers, Conine, and Lohse for nothing in return. Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Carlos Fisher, Calvin Medlock and others would all have to bust and all four rookie relievers would have to fail to become competent major leaguers. Management would also have to decide that this coaching staff has done a good job and deserve to be retained next year. Yeah, maybe all those things will happen but I doubt it.
    Listening to Paul Daugherty last night (I know, I should have better things to do), he seemed to indicate that some of those probably will not be around come august. Same goes for the manager and coaching staff, so maybe all those things will happen.

My point was that the kids will not take us to glory immediately, but it may be a good start. it will take guts.

What if he does a lot of damange while you wait for him to "Come around?"

Pedro, i don't know the answer, but what we're doing is not working. Sometimes you have to make a fresh cut and try to do better regardless of the outcome.

And the dumb part was pointed at Sir Robert C. And probably wasn't fair. He's probably just as upset as we are.
    And sometimes you've got to be patient and realize that an ownerships reputation in the league is an important asset in attracting talent both on an off the field and that canning a GM so soon in his tenure is probably not a good way to build up that reputation. I think Krivsky has done enough good things to warrant giving him the reigns at least through the end of the year. Firing him now just makes the ownership look like they don't know what they're doing and can't commit to a plan.
    School's out. What did you expect?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    And sometimes you've got to be patient and realize that an ownerships reputation in the league is an important asset in attracting talent both on an off the field and that canning a GM so soon in his tenure is probably not a good way to build up that reputation. I think Krivsky has done enough good things to warrant giving him the reigns at least through the end of the year. Firing him now just makes the ownership look like they don't know what their doing and can't commit to a plan.
    That's an excellent point, Pedro.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?