Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Postseason Scoreboard watching....

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Postseason Scoreboard watching....

That, by rule, is a correct interpretation. It's only subjective as to whether it was ordinary effort. But the rule was correct. Your photos actually help my case. The ball can't even be seen in the first image where Kozma starts forward. He had plenty of time to stay under it (or take a step to the left) in those two seconds.
    Except for the immediately part.

If you remove that part of the rule, you're right.

Unfortunately, you can't remove that part of the rule.

Immediately. Because -duh- the runners need to know if they can risk advancing or not.

If you don't tell them immediately, they don't know.

First you said the rule did not say immediately.

Then you said it wasn't simply for the runners but it was so fielders didn't miscommunicate.

The rule is for the benefit of the runners, the rule says immediately.

The discussion is over.

The whole freaking rule is so a fielder can't drop an easy pop up and double up the runners.

Nothing else. And if the umps don't call it immediately it defeats the point of the rule. That's why the rule says it twice, to make it clear. To most people who can read and understand the English language.

If you wish to remove the word immediately, then yes, you're spot on!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I've watched this replay 10 times dude. Go to MLB.com and watch the highlight (the 4:59 version). He literally takes his final step back at the 6-second mark. The ball lands exactly at the 8-second mark.

I don't know what else to tell you except my very elementary math education tells me that's 2 seconds.
    And my very elementary match education tells me that 1:04 - 1:04 can be no longer than 1 second. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Players, umpires, analysts and people who are paid to watch this game, all have pointed out that it was BS call.

If these were angry fans I'd get it. But these are people who are paid to understand the game.
    You really put your faith in former players and announcers to understand the rules very well these days? You have a lot more faith than I do.

You're being a little gratuitous though with all these umpires you are saying came out of the woodwork.

But I'm definitely not the only person on the internet. Here's a USA Today column by Paul White asserting the same thing I am:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/usatoday/a...CFRONTPAGE%7Cs
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'd like to see your elementary math define immediately.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

You really put your faith in former players and announcers to understand the rules very well these days? You have a lot more faith than I do.

You're being a little gratuitous though with all these umpires you are saying came out of the woodwork.

But I'm definitely not the only person on the internet. Here's a USA Today column by Paul White asserting the same thing I am:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/usatoday/a...CFRONTPAGE%7Cs
    Current players.

So basically if you wave your arms, you can get the umpire to declare it an infield fly on that basis?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'd like to see your elementary math define immediately.
    Why do you continue purposely conflating the definition of immediate?

"must be called immediately when it becomes apparent"

is not =

"must be immediately apparent and called."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

is not =

I do agree with Brutus with his take on the verbage of the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Current players.
    In my experience, most players don't actually know the rulebook very well.

Just another point to make...

Does anyone really think I'd really be arguing for this if I didn't believe it. It IS the Cardinals, after all. I don't want to defend anything for them.

Anybody want to talk about Devin Mesoraco?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

is not =

If we all have to wait and see if it is routine for five seconds, then it defeats the purpose of the rule.

You can't decide, fifteen feet away from being caught that it is now routine.

The fact that he waited tells you it wasn't. Apparent=obvious. If you have to wait until you're sure, it isn't obvious and therefore cannot be called immediately.

The rule is not made in a vacuum. It has an intent. That SS could not double the runner by dropping the ball on purpose.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Sure, I'm game...
    sorry we're boring

He hasn't been playing because he accidentally went forward in time back in late August. And when he returned he told Dusty about the Cardinals game and it infuriated Dusty, so he benched Mesoraco for the reminder of the season so as to teach him a lesson about messing with quantum mechanics.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I hear he is being officially detained in a cage in Bud Selig's office by law of the infield fly rule.

Turn Off Ads?