Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Braun fails drug test

Re: Ryan Braun fails drug test

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    He's still looking for one. When he and his advisors have one, they'll tell us.
    I seem to remember reading that he does have an explanation, but that he isn't saying just yet b/c he's letting the process play itself out -- and waiting until MLB makes a statement.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    Don't players always deny reports like this? I don't ever remember them admitting that they cheated.
    That's my thought as well.

There's also a ton of people in prison who are adamant about their innocence.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    That's my thought as well.

There's also a ton of people in prison who are adamant about their innocence.
    That seems like a very, very general standard to apply to a very specific situation. Especially so since we are no longer surprised when the Innocence Project exonerates another inmate previously considered one of the "worst of the worst". But really, what does prison have to do with a blood test negotiated by the CBA?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That seems like a very, very general standard to apply to a very specific situation. Especially so since we are no longer surprised when the Innocence Project exonerates another inmate previously considered one of the "worst of the worst". But really, what does prison have to do with a blood test negotiated by the CBA?
    Prison.......not so much. People who have been caught and punished for something against the rules. Yeah, I'd say it's just a bit comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Prison.......not so much. People who have been caught and punished for something against the rules. Yeah, I'd say it's just a bit comparable.
    Do we know enough to assume that hypothetical is even apt?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...-for-peds.html

3:55pm: Yahoo's Jeff Passan reports (in these five Twitter links) that baseball's new CBA contains a provision stating that if a player tests positive for a banned substance, the drug will be publicly announced. The Players' Union could contest the announcement, as Braun's test was conducted under the old CBA, which prevented that information from becoming public. Experts say that false positives are nearly impossible under the carbon-isotope testing performed by WADA. His source also confirmed that MLB has never lost an arbitration case with PEDs. Ultimately, Passan says it's unlikely Braun's appeal will stand, and we'll probably learn which substance Braun tested for.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Why test these guys during the playoffs if the results aren't going to impact the postseason (i.e. a guy could used a banned substance during the playoffs and still be allowed to play, as the suspension isn't immediate)? What would we be saying right now if the Brewers had went on to the World Series and won the whole thing with Braun winning the series' MVP?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

So let's say the first test conclusively shows a banned synthetic substance. Braun continues to plead innocent. All further tests come up negative.

To the "let's wait and see" crowd, what then?

Do we know enough to assume that hypothetical is even apt?
    He tested positive what's hypothetical about that?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So let's say the first test conclusively shows a banned synthetic substance. Braun continues to plead innocent. All further tests come up negative.

To the "let's wait and see" crowd, what then?
    I'm going to wait until we know the facts.

We already know the facts. His sample showed elevated testosterone levels and then was further tested and proven to be synthetic testosterone and on the banned substance list.

That's a fact that neither side disputes. There's nothing left to know... a banned substance was shown to be in his system. As far as MLB is concerned, it's going to be game, set... match.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    He tested positive what's hypothetical about that?
    Your specific analogy was about someone being caught and punished. Based upon what's been leaked right now, all we know for certain is that one test has triggered a process. MLB's official statement on the issue will be a huge help concerning this story.

Your specific analogy was about someone being caught and punished. Based upon what's been leaked right now, all we know for certain is that one test has triggered a process. MLB's official statement on the issue will be a huge help concerning this story.
    He's caught.........and pleading his case to not be punished.

That was a fairly simple hypothetical. Just trying to see where you'd side given that logjam of information. Granted this could turn may ways, but is one positive sample along with a steadfast denial enough for you to suspend a guy? Not a trick question.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    We already know the facts. His sample showed elevated testosterone levels and then was further tested and proven to be synthetic testosterone and on the banned substance list.

That's a fact that neither side disputes. There's nothing left to know... a banned substance was shown to be in his system. As far as MLB is concerned, it's going to be game, set... match.
    Braun is actually contesting the second part. He claims that the second test only showed the presence of a banned substance, not synthetic testosterone, or any other PED. He claims the ESPN story is incorrect.

So until we get an official report from MLB, all we know for sure is that Braun failed a test. The details are still murky.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?