Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does a prank cross the line?

When does a prank cross the line?

My wife called me from work today and told me that a pizza party an employee had won for their company through a radio station (more specifically his department which she works in) was actually an April Fools prank. As she put it, "there are a lot of angry accountants."

However this prankster sent out an e-mail through corporate e-mail announcing the party days earlier. Subsequently people made this their lunch plans for Friday only to surprised when they reached the cafeteria to find no lunch.

Did this prankster cross the line of good taste? Also do you think he should get reprimanded since he used corporate email to carry out his prank which violates most companies email policies?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When does a prank cross the line?

Sounds harmless to me, if perhaps a bit juvenile.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Yes, this prank crossed the line. Leaving an entire department hanging with no lunch is a pretty lousy thing to do.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Nina: Now Milton, don't be greedy, let's pass it along and make sure everyone gets a piece.
    Milton Waddams: Yeah, but last time I didn't receive a piece. And I was told...
    Nina: Just pass.
    [while the cake passes Milton mutters - eventually everybody but Milton gets a piece]
    Milton Waddams: [muttering] I could set the building on fire.

And that wasn't even over pizza

I'd say the prankster will get his just desserts. Sounds fairly harmless, but he definitely lost a lot of credibility and pissing off an entire department is never good. If he has the reputation of a jokester his career will come to a screeching halt and the joke will be on him.

When does a prank cross the line?
    When it's not funny. And messin' with a man's lunch, that ain't funny.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Official reprimand, no.

But I would think the person's manager will have a talk with them. A "don't do that again" with furrowed eyebrow might be in order.

If that happened around here, peer pressure would result in the jokester ordering out pizza for everyone and footing the bill. Ha-ha.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    My wife called me from work today and told me that a pizza party an employee had won for their company through a radio station (more specifically his department which she works in) was actually an April Fools prank. As she put it, "there are a lot of angry accountants."

However this prankster sent out an e-mail through corporate e-mail announcing the party days earlier. Subsequently people made this their lunch plans for Friday only to surprised when they reached the cafeteria to find no lunch.

Did this prankster cross the line of good taste? Also do you think he should get reprimanded since he used corporate email to carry out his prank which violates most companies email policies?
    It's March 30th?

(I know Sunday's April 1st, but come on, dude)
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Always dangerous to try department wide pranks. Chances are good there will be a few folks peppered in there who woln't get it, or get torked off, etc. Even more dangerous to mess with people's food. Always a touchy subject.

That said, pretty juvanile prank to pull. Also dangerous from a carear standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Sounds like someone's been researching the rules. I'd bet this guy will more than get repaid in the coming weeks. Did he cross the line? That depends on your line. I read on a T-shirt somewhere "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye," but that's just one definition of the line. I just finished lunch, though. I imagine I'd be more angry if I was hungry.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If that happened around here, peer pressure would result in the jokester ordering out pizza for everyone and footing the bill. Ha-ha.
    That's what would happen where I work too.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

sounds like he needs a pizza dumped all over the inside of his car.

So people had to walk all the way to the lunchroom before heading to the elevators for lunch? That's inhuman!
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    sounds like he needs a pizza dumped all over the inside of his car.
    thats how i think too
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I think suitable revenge would be for the co-workers to arrange for a delivery driver from every pizza delivery place in town to show up at the wiseguy's desk with a pizza and a bill for the pizza at about 11:30AM on Monday.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?