Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: C. Trent to the Enquirer

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: C. Trent to the Enquirer

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It was probably both. He was a frustrated fan himself, pissed off at the way the series was trending. Decided to lash out at the fans. His assessment was right (IMO) but I can understand the Reds fans who were put off by the timing. It's clear Trent is a Reds fan who was upset about how the Giants series was going.
    I don't think he lashed out at the fans at all. He called it exactly like it was. As much as it pains me to say it, he was 100% right on target with how I saw things in this city.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think he lashed out at the fans at all. He called it exactly like it was. As much as it pains me to say it, he was 100% right on target with how I saw things in this city.
    As I said, I didn't have any issue with the content, just the timing. If he wanted to do some piece about the mindset of the Reds' fanbase as a whole, or the city of Cincinnati, why wait until then?

You know why? Because he was a pissed off fan writing a story that would have been better served on Bleacher Report. His bosses at CBS obviously didn't find much use for him. Good luck to him at the Enquirer. I'm glad he landed on his feet. I think he's a good writer. I bet he also learned his lesson here.

As I said, I didn't have any issue with the content, just the timing. If he wanted to do some piece about the mindset of the Reds' fanbase as a whole, or the city of Cincinnati, why wait until then?

You know why? Because he was a pissed off fan writing a story that would have been better served on Bleacher Report. His bosses at CBS obviously didn't find much use for him. Good luck to him at the Enquirer. I'm glad he landed on his feet. I think he's a good writer. I bet he also learned his lesson here.
    Why would he wait? That doesn't make any sense to me. You write an article about something going on right now, right now.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Why would he wait? That doesn't make any sense to me. You write an article about something going on right now, right now.
    Riiiight, all of a sudden it just occurred to Trent that the city of Cincinnati had some bad sports luck. Right there between games 4 and 5. Never even crossed his mind before.

Nope. He came across as a ticked off fanboy. Didn't want to lash out at the team, so took the odd approach of lashing out at the fans.

EDIT: Nice job trying to spin it, Doug. I never said he "should have waited." I said "why wait until then?" Huge difference. I was saying that obviously Trent had noticed this "inferiority complex" or whatever previously, but never decided to write about it ... until between games 4 and 5 of the Reds' playoff series with the Giants. You don't have to be a genius to figure this one out. Trent was upset that the Reds were about to lose the series in his estimation and lashed out at the fans.

Yeah, Trent, it was the fans' fault the Reds lost! Haha.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 03-01-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Can you clarify which Trent Rosecrans you're referring to here? Not to be presumptuous, but is it "C" Trent?
    Yes, sorry. Didn't realize that was ambiguous. He was initially just Trent at the Post, I believe, then introduced the C. later.

Riiiight, all of a sudden it just occurred to Trent that the city of Cincinnati had some bad sports luck. Right there between games 4 and 5. Never even crossed his mind before.

Nope. He came across as a ticked off fanboy. Didn't want to lash out at the team, so took the odd approach of lashing out at the fans.

EDIT: Nice job trying to spin it, Doug. I never said he "should have waited." I said "why wait until then?" Huge difference. I was saying that obviously Trent had noticed this "inferiority complex" or whatever previously, but never decided to write about it ... until between games 4 and 5 of the Reds' playoff series with the Giants. You don't have to be a genius to figure this one out. Trent was upset that the Reds were about to lose the series in his estimation and lashed out at the fans.

Yeah, Trent, it was the fans' fault the Reds lost! Haha.
    I wasn't trying to spin something. Why wouldn't he bring it up before? Probably because he wasn't on the job the last time Reds fans actually had a feeling like that (when was that, 99 playoffs?). Bringing it up when it isn't actually happening doesn't make sense or bringing it up with the Bengals in 2005 wouldn't make sense because he doesn't cover the Bengals. He brought it up when it was relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The average Reds fan is a dope.

I like above avereage fans.
    Where would this magic cabal meet?

Your mirror?

Every team has smart fans, dumb fans and cheerleaders.

It's the law.

9. Likes:

Joseph (03-02-2013),Revering4Blue (03-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Heh. I went to that pub last summer when I was visiting Cincy, very randomly ended up there.

Iirc there is a very funny picture in the mens room of Pete Rose and Tony Perez.
    Yup. I'm 90% sure it's still there, too. It's one of my regular hangouts. Some really good friends of mine work there, and I perform there pretty regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Your mirror?

It's the law.
    Yes I know WOY.

Everyone here at RZ is above average.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Your mirror?

It's the law.
    Except for RZ. Here, we are all geniuses.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

Raisor (03-02-2013)

The dumbest redszoner (Chip) is still above average.

Whwhen I think average I think banana phone

It sounded like John Allen when he blamed the Reds fans for the team's losing and conducting a fire sale with an interim GM after firing Bowden. I'm trying to understand what purpose it serves. Should manufacturers blame their customers when they don't purchase their products, or give it the raspberry when it isn't working properly? Do you yell at an entire fan base in general, and drag in another sports franchise to boot, because some idiots booed during a playoff game? Why not point out the UC/Xavier fight as showing that Cincy is just a city full of inner city thugs while you're at it. Sorry, but that is just a poor world view.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It sounded like John Allen when he blamed the Reds fans for the team's losing and conducting a fire sale with an interim GM after firing Bowden. I'm trying to understand what purpose it serves. Should manufacturers blame their customers when they don't purchase their products, or give it the raspberry when it isn't working properly? Do you yell at an entire fan base in general, and drag in another sports franchise to boot, because some idiots booed during a playoff game? Why not point out the UC/Xavier fight as showing that Cincy is just a city full of inner city thugs while you're at it. Sorry, but that is just a poor world view.
    It wasn't just a few fans that boo'd. Callers on talk radio were saying the same things before the article came out. My friends were all saying the same exact things before the article came out. They were hopeful we could still win, but had that feeling of "not again. not this city. what did we do to deserve all of this just flat out bad luck."

It wasn't just a few fans that boo'd. Callers on talk radio were saying the same things before the article came out. My friends were all saying the same exact things before the article came out. They were hopeful we could still win, but had that feeling of "not again. not this city. what did we do to deserve all of this just flat out bad luck."
    Ok, so that justifies blasting fans, the customers? It is true that Cincy fans are a bunch of whiny losers?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Even though he big leagued me at Slugger Museum a couple years ago, I'm happy to have him back on the Reds beat.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?