Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: The Trade Idea That Just Won't Die

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: The Trade Idea That Just Won't Die

I really like the idea of acquiring Stanton. The package Hoff speculates it would take to acquire Stanton is way less than I figured it would cost the Reds to acquire Stanton. If the Marlins are taking offers, I hope Walt is calling.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any trade for Giancarlo would have to top Profar + a few other high-end prospects. Something like Stephenson/Chapman/Ludwick would get the discussion moving. Not sure Walt would pull that trigger.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-06-2013)

There's absolutely no reason for Miami to trade Stanton this year, and likely next year. They would have to be wildly overwhelmed. That package isn't close to enough.

6. Likes:

mth123 (05-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Any trade for Giancarlo would have to top Profar + a few other high-end prospects. Something like Stephenson/Chapman/Ludwick would get the discussion moving. Not sure Walt would pull that trigger.
    Ludwick costs money, which is what the Marlins don't want. Chapman/Cingrani/Hamilton gets it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Ludwick costs money, which is what the Marlins don't want. Chapman/Cingrani/Hamilton gets it started.
    I think that would do more than "get it started." Cingrani's value is MUCH higher than it was even a month ago.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think that would do more than "get it started." Cingrani's value is MUCH higher than it was even a month ago.
    You don't really believe that do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think that'd be more than enough. Keep in mind Stanton's stock has dipped just a touch since the start of the season. Numbers are down (SSS, yeah) and another injury to log in the books. He'll still require a mega-deal, sure, but the league's best closer, a ML-ready top-30 prospect lefty starter and Hamilton would most definitely be an overpay.

I think he'll get dealt at this year's deadline, unless he totally flops between now and then. Also, don't think that Miami doesn't have money to take on someone like Ludwick, or at least a portion of his contract. There's money there, and at some point Miami will have to start bringing in a few vets who can actually produce. Ludwick plus some cash woudn't be the worst throw-in guy to bring back in a trade.

Lutz would be a big part of the package that the Reds would send to Miami.
    Stopped reading there. Lutz is only big in size, not value.

12. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-07-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    If we can resign Choo, I'd definitely be all about trading Hamilton to get Stanton. Probably the only player I wouldn't include for him would be Stephenson (or MLB players, which would defeat the purpose of us trading for more players).

I'd offer Hamilton and Corcino plus whatever to start and see what happened from there.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Stopped reading there. Lutz is only big in size, not value.
    Not sure why he phrased it like that because he then suggests Miami would have their pick of basically any of our minor league pitchers, who all undoubtedly have more value than Lutz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    You don't really believe that do you?
    Yes, I do.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    For those who didn't read the article, here is the proposed trade by the writer for Stanton:

Reds give up.....

Lutz (future ML OFer)
    Choice: Amir Garrett or Ismael Guillon (LH Starter)
    Choice: Corcino, Stephenson or Travieso (RH Starter)
    Henry Rodriguez (major league ready IFer)
    Choice: Freeman, Lotzkar, or Carlos Contreras (future Closer)

Reds get.......

STANTON
    Heck, I would let Miami chose any 5 guys off that list and do the trade in a heartbeat.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I put Hamilton in that hypothetical deal whether Choo stays or not.

Stanton is overrated. I see him as "BJ Upton" v2.0

I'd prefer a more all-around LF. Bruce already has the power with strikeout role filled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Stanton is overrated. I see him as "BJ Upton" v2.0

I'd prefer a more all-around LF. Bruce already has the power with strikeout role filled up.
    Career OPS just a few points under 900. Average to above average fielder for his career. Almost 100 HR at age 23.

He is about as objectively not overrated as you can get, and is not even close to being similar as a player to BJ Upton.

Turn Off Ads?