Turn Off Ads?

Thread: VSL Reds

VSL Reds

I'm almost reluctant to point this out, seeing as how the other teams in the Reds' system started out so well the first few days and then summarily plunged. But after three games, pitchers for the VSL Reds (2-1) have posted their lines:

Pitcher (Age) IP H ER BB K
    Junior Morillo (18) 3.1 0 0 2 4
    Orlando Chiquin (20) 3.2 1 0 2 1
    Oswaldo Mieres (18) 6 1 0 0 7
    Joyce Hernandez (17) 2 2 0 0 0
    Josue Castellano (18) 4 2 0 2 2
    Jean Lopez (22) 3 0 0 1 3

It appears to me that the VSL is at about the level of an all-star high school game in the US. Does that sound about right?

(Edit: If anybody knows how to clean up those columns, please have at it.)
    Last edited by mace; 05-20-2010 at 12:13 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: VSL Reds

Code:
    Pitcher	  Age	IP	H	ER	BB	K
    Morillo	  18	3.1	0	0	2	4
    Chiquin	  20	3.2	1	0	2	1
    Mieres	  18	6.0	1	0	0	7
    Hernandz  17	2.0	2	0	0	0
    Castlano  18	4.0	2	0	2	2
    Lopez	  22	3.0	0	0	1	3

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    It appears to me that the VSL is at about the level of an all-star high school game in the US. Does that sound about right?
    No. It's fairly higher than that. Close to an all Freshman, Sophomore, college team with wooden bats. The problem is you have a lot of soft tossers or flame throwers with Ricky Vaughn type control... OBP should be taken with a grain of salt down there...

Thanks, t-dave.

Good to know, nemesis. I was going by ages. Most of the kids seem to be 17 or 18. But with the 20-year-olds mixed in, and the talent involved, you're probably right.

In the Reds' games so far, the scores have been low and the hits hard to come by. I suppose that could be a function of the best pitchers working the initial games. The scoring will probably rise when they get deeper into the rotations and bullpens.

You gotta like the fact that the Reds have a 17-year-old catcher (Jhimmy Lopez) hitting cleanup. (MiLB.com has it as Yimmy, but the Reds' media guide goes with Jhimmy.)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

mace's question brings up another question that I have always wondered about.

Does anyone know what different levels of college equates to at the minor league level?

For instance:

1. The top levels of DI (PAC 10, SEC, ACC, etc.) = HI A to AA
    2. Middle levels of DI (Big Ten, Big East, USA, etc.) = Low A to Hi A
    3. Lower levels of DI (MAC, Sun Belt, etc.) = Low A

4. Juco, smaller colleges = rookie

Is this even close?????

Thanks in advance.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

Does anyone know what different levels of college equates to at the minor league level?

For instance:

Is this even close?????

Thanks in advance.
    It is so solely based on the individual there is no clear cut way to grade it unfortunately.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

For instance:

Is this even close?????

Thanks in advance.
    Its not even close. The top levels of D1 don't compare to Low A. At all. Most guys on those teams will never be pro's.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Its not even close. The top levels of D1 don't compare to Low A. At all. Most guys on those teams will never be pro's.
    Great. I was just throwing that out there as an example.

Forget it. I was just wondering how the different levels of college ball equated to the minors. I've seen it discussed on this board before, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea.

Back to the in-game minor league boxscores and discussing who the Reds will draft.

Turn Off Ads?