Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Thread: 5/16/09 Reds vs Padres

Re: 5/16/09 Reds vs Padres

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    NO question, IMO this L gets hung on the offense.
    Not excusing this offense, but as far as I'm concerned this umpire, in the 8th inning, squeezed the crap out of Weathers. He had PHer Macias K'd who drew the walk that forced in the tying run. They should have been out of the 8th with a 5-4 lead as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely a tough loss; but not the end of the world.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Not excusing this offense, but as far as I'm concerned this umpire, in the 8th inning, squeezed the crap out of Weathers. He had PHer Macias K'd who drew the walk that forced in the tying run. They should have been out of the 8th with a 5-4 lead as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely a tough loss; but not the end of the world.
    What is it with the umpires this year? It seems like every other game we're complaining about tight strike zones or inconsistent zones, etc. Is the being freed fromt he Questec (or whatever the name is)? It's just been horrific, don't you think?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    What is it with the umpires this year? It seems like every other game we're complaining about tight strike zones or inconsistent zones, etc. Is the being freed fromt he Questec (or whatever the name is)? It's just been horrific, don't you think?
    I'm not one who normally complains about the umpiring. But last night I was hotter then Weathers when he came off the mound when Dusty pulled him. If that had been me I'd have gotten tossed out of the game as I walked off that mound.

That guy's strike zone was tighter then tight IMO.

Umpires like that really raise pitch counts.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Looks like another bad strikezone tonight. Votto took a 3-0 pitch just above the ankles for a called strike one. He flied out on the next pitch.
    Boy, wasn't that a sign of things to come. James Joyce just converted me to bringing in Robo Ump to call balls and strikes. Of course, I imagine if we did, we would think something must be wrong with the system on close pitches

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    NO question, IMO this L gets hung on the offense. The guy isn't calling strikes so they collectively run up there trying to hack at everything. Nix did ok, Hairston ok, BP so-so and Hernandez did ok. McDonald swung at a pitch way outside and the funny thing was he swung as if it was in the middle of the plate. Certainly there is such thing as break but that pitch didn't ever come close to the plate.
    ? 5 runs in Petco should be plenty. It is a crazy game, the Pads bullpen can't get anyone out, we come in hitting good, and suddenly their bullpen is holding and ours is blowing leads. Stupid, stupid game. Hope I can stay awake during the sermon

When did Cordero go on the DL?

Everyone want's to argue about Joyce but Cordero should've been on the mound before it got to that point with Weathers.

Cordero has got to be hurt. If not, then don't blame Joyce for last night because someone else was making worse calls in the 8th....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd like to see the press lambaste Dusty for leaving in Owings that long.
    I don't see why. Owings pitch count was fine. He threw maybe one day earlier than normal and he'll have plenty of time until his next start.

I'm sure Dusty would've liked to have used Cordero but the order he used guys in kind of limited that. If he was going to use him it needed to be before Micah. Once you pull Micah, Cordero would've had to go the rest of the way...and we had no clue how long that would've been.

Sad thing is, I'm not even all that upset. The Reds have drained me. It's already hit me that this team stinks just like the 2001-2008 teams.
    2 games out of first, 4 games OVER .500, solid starting pitching, solid bullpen, solid defense, offense coming around....yep, they stink. You know OBM, your pessimism can infect the fan-base almost as much as Rosales' enthusiasm can infect the clubhouse. Cheer up.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    I'd just like to know how you go 16 innings of offensive suck and 2 guys hitting over .300 for the year never see the field. But McDonald does. They pitched well enough to win but they're a team of hacks, especially without Votto.

Hanigan & Janish? I can't think of anybody else who didn't play. I've got NO PROBLEM with Dusty not playing those two guys. If there was an injury in extra innings...Hanigan's the back up catcher and Janish can backup everybody else (OF too if need be).

The only real mistake that I saw from Dusty was in the 8th inning. Once Weathers came in and gave up the double, 2 outs & the walk, I'd have him on a VERY short leash. Once he gave up the 2nd walk...you've got to yank him there in favor of Cordero. Especially when it was clear that David was pissed. Cordero for the final 8th out and for the 9th and we've still got Herrera & Owings for extra innings. Considering the consistant performances out of Weathers lately though...kind of hard to fault Dusty too much on that one. Mistake in hindsight, but it's nitpicking a little bit IMO.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-17-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    2 games out of first, 4 games OVER .500, solid starting pitching, solid bullpen, solid defense, offense coming around....yep, they stink. You know OBM, your pessimism can infect the fan-base almost as much as Rosales' enthusiasm can infect the clubhouse. Cheer up.
    I hate to say it but if I had to take the over or under on the Reds winning 82 games this season; I'd still take the under, even as well as they've played. I'm still not convinced they are a good baseball team.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree with every single word except maybe the line-up. Don't like Phillips that high up in the order.

Hairston
    Hanigan
    Bruce
    Nix
    Phillips
    Rosales
    Dickerson
    Janish
    See, I don't like Bruce that high. But the key thing is that we agree on the personnel. The order is a relatively minor detail, though I am intrigued by your insertion of Hanigan in the #2 slot. If I recall correctly, he hit there once or twice last year, with favorable results. He handles the bat well, and would be a good hit-and-run guy behind Jerry Jr. How about:

Hairston 3B
    Hanigan C
    Nix LF
    Phillips 2B
    Bruce RF
    Rosales 1B
    Dickerson CF
    Janish SS
    Arroyo P
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Sad thing is, I'm not even all that upset. The Reds have drained me. It's already hit me that this team stinks just like the 2001-2008 teams.
    This is a much better team than any of those 2001-08 teams. The pitching makes them that way. Every team,even the best one's,go through tough times during a season. It's how well they handle a tough time period that will show how well they will do this season. You have to pace yourself,OBM. Take a couple of days off and you will feel better than ever.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I've just watched Weathers' 8th inning again several times. I don't think he has any legit gripe about the Macias PA.

First pitch: no doubt a ball.

Second pitch: Joyce gives DW the pitch on the outside corner

Third pitch: again, another close pitch on the outside corner that Joyce gives the DW

Fourth pitch: ball, looked high and inside to me.

Fifth pitch: close but looked inside to me. I don't see how DW could argue he was hosed.

Sixth pitch: close but again it looked low and inside to me.

I just don't see how it could be argued that the called balls to Macias were obvious mistaken calls that by rights should've went to DW. Also, Joyce wasn't squeezing Weathers either because DW got both the 2nd and third pitches which were borderline on the outside IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I know - 4 games over .500 in May has to be really draining for you!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've just watched Weathers' 8th inning again several times. I don't think he has any legit gripe about the Macias PA.

First pitch: no doubt a ball.

Second pitch: Joyce gives DW the pitch on the outside corner

Third pitch: again, another close pitch on the outside corner that Joyce gives the DW

Fourth pitch: ball, looked high and inside to me.

Fifth pitch: close but looked inside to me. I don't see how DW could argue he was hosed.

Sixth pitch: close but again it looked low and inside to me.

I just don't see how it could be argued that the called balls to Macias were obvious mistaken calls that by rights should've went to DW. Also, Joyce wasn't squeezing Weathers either because DW got both the 2nd and third pitches which were borderline on the outside IMHO.
    I think it is disingenuous to say that you had a better perspective with a distorted view on a TV camera, esp. with the closeness of those pitches. Joyce had a tight strike zone, and front door fastballs aren't going to called much with that mindset. Plus, he appeared to be very inconsistent, which is all anyone asks of a plate ump, even if his zone is bad. But then, I'm making the same conclusions from the same angles that you are watching from, so I'll take the reactions of both teams and the announcers behind the plate as having better perspectives than TV viewers.

Turn Off Ads?