Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Rojos

Re: Los Rojos

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Geez. This is an English speaking country.

Please learn to read and speak the native language. This isn't Mexico.
    The U.S.A. doesn't have an official language. And learning Spanish doesn't require you to forget English. Getting a little culture is good for everybody.

2. Likes:

Captain13 (05-13-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Rojos

Apparently Los Rojos is the name of drug cartel in Mexico.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Rojos

Apparently Los Rojos is the name of drug cartel in Mexico.
    Looks like their rival down there is the Mets for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    It's an ugly jersey, just like the BP jersey, and unnecessary in my opinion. I certainly won't be spending my money on one.
    It's also not being marketed to you, and likely going to only be used in very rare occurrences. Not like they are lining these bad boys up for the playoffs.

Can't really see how there could be much more pushback on the Reds trying to expand their fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It's also not being marketed to you, and likely going to only be used in very rare occurrences. Not like they are lining these bad boys up for the playoffs.

Can't really see how there could be much more pushback on the Reds trying to expand their fan base.
    I'm a fan, go to games, and entitled to my opinion. It may not agree with yours or the majority, but I'm entitled to it, nonetheless. .

How ridiculous.

The "native language" of Cincinnati and every other inch of land in North America certainly isn't English.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    How ridiculous.

The "native language" of Cincinnati and every other inch of this country certainly isn't English.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ourhisto...nnati-in-1917/

With America’s entry into the Great War 95 years ago this month, a sudden and ferocious hatred of all things German swept the country.

Cincinnati was not immune despite the fact that more than half of its citizens were German immigrants or removed from the Vaterland by no more than one or two generations. Many aspects of anti-German hysteria here have been well-documented:

More than a dozen streets with German names were changed: Bremen in Over-the-Rhine became Republic and Hamburg at the top of OTR was changed to Stonewall; German and Berlin streets in the West End became English and Woodward, respectively.

German language books were removed from local libraries. A months-long controversy erupted as to whether the German language should be dropped from the curriculum of Cincinnati public schools, and in February 1918, the school board voted to remove it from elementary schools. It pretty much died a natural death in area high schools as the war continued and fewer and fewer students elected to take it.

Textbooks presenting positive portrayals of Germany or German life were censored at local universities.

In an attempt to prove their patriotism, a number of German families anglicized their names: Reiss became Rice, Hüll changed to Hill, Schmidt to Smith, etc.

Some recorded actions to eradicate all-things German were laughable: The reported removal of pretzels from bar counters and the renaming of sauerkraut to liberty slaw on local restaurant menus

Not a fan, seems kind of pointless to me, but hey whatever gets another situational lefty in the pen I'm all for.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Die Roten. But English is being integrated into German culture so quickly that they must just go with Die Reds.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I'm a fan, go to games, and entitled to my opinion. It may not agree with yours or the majority, but I'm entitled to it, nonetheless. .
    I'm not saying you aren't entiteled as much as I am suggesting that it might not be so bad to be able to expand horizons to intrigue a larger group of people (and perhaps be more culturally diverse), especially on an issue that so minimally would effect a fan for what, 1 out of 162 games? The larger positive impact on a larger group of fans certainly seems worthwhile compared to a smaller, negative impact on a smaller group of more loyal fans... if that makes sense.

Cool idea, ugly jersey.

The "Native" language of the Cincinnati area is most likely Shawnee. Let me know when you have learned it and I will change my opinion of this comment.
    Let's play two!!!

I have no problem with it... just another jersey. Much better looking than those ugly green jerseys for St. Patrick's Day.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    The "Native" language of the Cincinnati area is most likely Shawnee. Let me know when you have learned it and I will change my opinion of this comment.
    I'd say it's Miami, but you're entitled to your opinion...
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I believe this was round 2 of 3 of anti-German hysteria: After reading "Team of Rivals" the first looks during the 2 decades before the Civil War - there was even a political party "The Know-Nothing Party" (American Party) who were primarily anti-Irish, anti-Catholic, and anti-German. Round 3 was during WWII (and didn't Cincinnati rename OTR and other streets again?).

Turn Off Ads?