Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Called Up

Re: Hamilton Called Up

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I wonder if Dusty is going to let Hamilton steal 3rd. I know that's way out of Dusty's normal comfort zone, but maybe next year.
    From what the TV guys said last night, in the 9th when Billy was on 2nd and Choo on 1st after the ill-fated sac bunt by BP, he was basically on 3rd by the time the ball crossed the plate. He had to go back to 2nd and tag but he was stealing then.

Good article from Baseball Prospectus about Billy's night.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=21845
    Last edited by Chip R; 09-19-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    From what the TV guys said last night, in the 9th when Billy was on 2nd and Choo on 1st after the ill-fated sac bunt by BP, he was basically on 3rd by the time the ball crossed the plate. He had to go back to 2nd and tag but he was stealing then.

Good point, I remember that play now. I guess my point is that we haven't seen Billy try to steal 3rd yet, and I honestly can only think of maybe 1 or 2 times in Dusty's tenure that a steal of 3rd was attempted. I think I remember 2 double steal attempts.. That is foggy memory, but it's a rare occurance.
    I'd like to see Billy steal 3b more. Thanks for the link, will check it out.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I wonder if Dusty is going to let Hamilton steal 3rd. I know that's way out of Dusty's normal comfort zone, but maybe next year.
    In the 9th inning, I believe, it looked like he had 3rd stolen had it not been for Votto swinging at the first pitch.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

No offense, but that article reminded me why I never read articles from BP anymore. Full of snark, arrogance, and misunderstanding of the game.

Still the videos of Hamilton's steals were fun.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

8. Likes:

mth123 (09-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    No offense, but that article reminded me why I never read articles from BP anymore. Full of snark, arrogance, and misunderstanding of the game.

Yea, I just finished reading the article too.
    I appreciate Chip posting it, but the BP people just had to feel obligated to throw a wet blanket on the fun last night.
    We can't have people on Twitter getting excited about Billy's potential.
    Baseball Prospectus has to be sure to go on record now as saying that Billy's OBP might not be high enough in the majors to be a superstar (Which everyone who has followed Billy at AAA this year already knows).
    I guess BP is going to be able to pat themselves on the back if Billy's doesn't become a perennial allstar

Nothing is a sure thing in life, but I think by 2015, Billy will be a nice ML player.
    Maybe not the star we are hoping for, but a useful player.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

None taken.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

8 games, 9 steals, 4 of which came in his only start....

I just simply love the fact that everybody in the entire park knows what he's going to do, and there isn't anything they can do about it

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id...753&topic_id=0
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-19-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think he would have beaten the throw anyway, but that catcher's throw wasn't very good. Several feet high and outside of the target tag zone (a couple of inches off the ground, at the bag, on the 1B side).

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    I think he would have beaten the throw anyway, but that catcher's throw wasn't very good. Several feet high and outside of the target tag zone (a couple of inches off the ground, at the bag, on the 1B side).
    A big part of stealing bases is running on catchers who make bad throws.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Hamilton's speed and the fear of Hamilton's speed should force a number of these off line throws because the catcher will know they have do be perfect and fast to get him. Sometimes they will pull it off and get him, sometimes the CF picks up the ball.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103344
    Last edited by klw; 09-19-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103344

The giant elephant in the room:

Would the Reds be better off playing Hamilton in CF and Choo in LF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Not right now I think. I have no confidence that he is really ready for pitching like the Pirates possess. Of course, I have no confidence that Ludwick, Heisey or Robinson are either, so touche there.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-19-2013)

Not if Ludwick starts hitting. The Ludwick of today? Not sure. Might go with Heisey.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Not today.
    I think right now, Ludwick and Heisey are better options than Hamilton.
    I am a huge Hamilton fan though, I just don't think he's fully cooked yet.

Turn Off Ads?