Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LF - at what point do you do something?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

LF - at what point do you do something?

Assuming the position continues to be a hole in the lineup, forcing poor hitters into the 2nd spot of the lineup, when do you make a big move? A trade or something?

I don't know if the market is going to develop fast enough for the Reds to trade for an OF. If it continues say until June, you have to seriously look into bringing up Hamilton and playing Choo in LF.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LF - at what point do you do something?

We don't just have a poor hitter I'd say we have our worst or 2nd worst hitter in the 2 hole. Makes 0 sense.

At this point I'm wondering where Ludwick bats when he come's back because I could see him batting 5th because Dusty will be in love with Phillips.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

What about RF, SS, and 3B? And Catcher for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Those positions will pretty likely improve to what they were expected to be

The problem with a trade is you need to have another team willing to send you something that would be an upgrade at a cost which is acceptable. This early there are not many teams willing to fly a flag of surrender and dump salary so the price would be something which would help the other team this year. The Reds depth is getting thin so what do you deal and really who is a LF who may even be available?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    The problem with a trade is you need to have another team willing to send you something that would be an upgrade at a cost which is acceptable. This early there are not many teams willing to fly a flag of surrender and dump salary so the price would be something which would help the other team this year. The Reds depth is getting thin so what do you deal and really who is a LF who may even be available?
    Agreed. This is an example of how fantasy baseball has tainted the way we talk about real baseball. You can't just randomly trade at any point. And you can't have the mentality of "I have this 20 dollar bill. I would like to trade my 20 dollar bill for your 100 dollar bill. Deal?"

I think it's pretty obvious what the Reds need to do--trade for Choo again so he can play in both center and left.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Agreed. This is an example of how fantasy baseball has tainted the way we talk about real baseball. You can't just randomly trade at any point. And you can't have the mentality of "I have this 20 dollar bill. I would like to trade my 20 dollar bill for your 100 dollar bill. Deal?"
    Right, hence the end of the OP:
    I don't know if the market is going to develop fast enough for the Reds to trade for an OF.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    We differ.

Trades take place all the time to fill holes, including injury holes, and this began decades before "fantasy baseball" ever existed.

There is no time of year exclusive to trades. A good GM, including Jocketty, will trade at any time. And I don't understand anyone to expect a heist in the Reds' favor. But the Reds could definitely improve by acquiring a corner outfielder.

The Reds have an organization full of players and prospects and I think it is very feasible they can make a deal. I'm not defeatist about the possibility. Nobody says they need to acquire an all-star player, just somebody who can hold down the position for a couple of months.

The Reds should look for a trade because the only left fielder in-house they seem to want to play regularly is Heisey who hasn't hit since 2011 and is now hurt. So I agree with the concept of this fine thread.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-01-2013 at 09:59 PM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

And Catcher for that matter.
    Yeah, Mesoraco hasn't taken advantage of the PT.

If Hamilton can't outperform any of the current LF options offensively, I don't think he's an upgrade in CF. You'd be moving Choo again, they don't want to do that either.

If you consider all aspects of the game, I don't consider those positions nearly as glaring a weakness for us as LF is.

I would love to see them work something out in left field, but what happens when Ludwick comes back?

I'm not overly confident that we will see him at all this season, but what if the unlikely happens? I'm sure the brass is thinking the same thing.

My guess is that they stay the course, and if the guys that they counted on to start the season kick it into gear, they should be fine.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be pleased as punch if they made a move that would upgrade the lineup. It's just that I can understand the logic behind not doing so.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Where have you gone, Jon Nunnally? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Not-so-joltin' Jon has left and gone away....hey hey hey.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

17. Likes:

bigfunguy (05-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Where have you gone, Jon Nunnally? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Not-so-joltin' Jon has left and gone away....hey hey hey.
    A Stynes, Nunnally outburst would be awesome right about now.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?