Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Jay Bruce

Re: Let's talk about Jay Bruce

When all else fails, blame it on psychology. Not that I think psychology plays no role, but come on, how many times have we heard managers say things like, he's trying to do too much, or, he's pressing, then fall out of the game entirely a couple years later.

I'm not saying Bruce is in a state of collapse as a hitter, just that chalking it up to psychology is the grab bag excuse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I also recall that going opposite field was an early indicator that he was coming out of a slump.
    I used to follow this as well, but it seems like eons ago. Now I just want him to put bat on ball.

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Man I hope Walt makes a move.

#thatlineup
    There's almost certainly no one on the market that the team is willing to expend prospects/money on who will "fix" this offense. Getting Phillips and Votto back should far exceed anything available on the market. But the age old question: when?

5. Likes:

HokieRed (07-22-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (07-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    When all else fails, blame it on psychology. Not that I think psychology plays no role, but come on, how many times have we heard managers say things like, he's trying to do too much, or, he's pressing, then fall out of the game entirely a couple years later.

I'm not saying Bruce is in a state of collapse as a hitter, just that chalking it up to psychology is the grab bag excuse.
    Yep, after reading JB's recent interview about his approach, I can somewhat see where Price is coming from. Still, I really don't care, this is about a veteran in a prolonged slump at a time when his team needs him. And even if the rest of the lineup was healthy and performing at a high level, I'm not convinced he'd be producing.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dunn as a Red

.247/.380/.520/.900
    The number that surprised me.... .247. I really didn't think it was that high.

I'm not sure where people think Bruce can't go opposite field. Much like Votto, you know Bruce is seeing the ball well when he is hitting homers and doubles to left-center field.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    You know Bruce has been down when even JayBruceFan won't kick him.
    Won't kick him? My leg is going to be sore after this season

10. Likes:

CySeymour (07-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dunn as a Red

.247/.380/.520/.900
    Walks don't slump.
    Go Gators!

12. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-21-2014),kbrake (07-21-2014),Raisor (07-21-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (07-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I'm not sure where people think Bruce can't go opposite field. Much like Votto, you know Bruce is seeing the ball well when he is hitting homers and doubles to left-center field.
    I refuse to mention a healthy Votto and Bruce in the same comparison.....it's not even close.

Sometimes players just inexplicably have bad years. Still hoping Jay can salvage what's rest of this one.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Always Red (07-22-2014),Big Klu (07-22-2014),westofyou (07-21-2014)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I refuse to mention a healthy Votto and Bruce in the same comparison.....it's not even close.
    Votto's power numbers have really eroded since 2010 completed. He's been healthy for a good portion of that time. But that's a separate issue.

We have this thread every season... Bruce is going to end up one of the biggest enigma's of the modern Reds. I don't think anyone can explain why he's not that good, but that fact is he isn't. 2 WAR player is nothing really. This was a guy who was supposed to be a 5-9 WAR guy; look at what McCutchen is doing for the Pirates. I will never understand it but Bruce was a better hitter all around when he came out of the minors, more complete.

Just no excuse for him to play the way he has this season, especially offensively. I don't know what to make of it. He's been a tease for so long I don't even really care anymore, I certainly don't expect anything different. He'll do this until they decide he needs a change of scenery and they grant it for him. Thanks for a few good memories and mostly disappointment I suppose.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Bruce is at his best when he's going the opposite way.

Can someone explain to me how this idea got started? Was there a productive incarnation of Bruce that consistently did anything other than yank dingers into the moon deck? I must've been out of town for that I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Votto's power numbers have really eroded since 2010 completed. He's been healthy for a good portion of that time. But that's a separate issue.

We have this thread every season... Bruce is going to end up one of the biggest enigma's of the modern Reds. I don't think anyone can explain why he's not that good, but that fact is he isn't. 2 WAR player is nothing really. This was a guy who was supposed to be a 5-9 WAR guy; look at what McCutchen is doing for the Pirates. I will never understand it but Bruce was a better hitter all around when he came out of the minors, more complete.

Just no excuse for him to play the way he has this season, especially offensively. I don't know what to make of it. He's been a tease for so long I don't even really care anymore, I certainly don't expect anything different. He'll do this until they decide he needs a change of scenery and they grant it for him. Thanks for a few good memories and mostly disappointment I suppose.
    Well, Bruce is having a dreadful 2014. No one would dispute that. I think this season in-and-of-itself is the enigma you are referring to though. Bruce has been pretty consistent the last 4 years. If we're talking WAR, he's been over 4 twice in the last 4 years.

Yeah, he's no McCutchen, but I think any team in baseball would take Bruce's career average in the 5 hole.

I hope he can turn this season around.
    Last edited by villain612; 07-22-2014 at 02:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

19. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (07-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Votto's power numbers have really eroded since 2010 completed. He's been healthy for a good portion of that time.
    Allegedly

There's no denying Bruce's lack of production this year. In looking at his stats, one thing really jumped out at me: his ground ball % is as high as it's ever been - much higher than his career average. Can someone smarter than me explain how this relates to his lack of production (if at all)?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?