Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong

Re: What's Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Trading the overrated Phillips could open a spot for Keppinger as well if Valaika doesn't pan out. Now might be a great time to move him for pieces that could help fill the team's holes (CF, C, SS, arms)...
    Phillips is a top-10 bat at 2B (going by RARP), he might very well be the best defender in the game at 2B, he's great on the bases and he's got the sort of high motor this often listless squad needs more of.

Frankly, I don't think you could get back a better player for Brandon Phillips than Brandon Phillips. If you got equal value, then you're no better off and if you miss on that deal then you're digging this franchise into a deeper hole.

Plus, Phillips is pretty much the only reason I watch Reds games these days. Without him this would be a soul-crushingly boring team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Phillips is a top-10 bat at 2B (going by RARP), he might very well be the best defender in the game at 2B, he's great on the bases and he's got the sort of high motor this often listless squad needs more of.

Frankly, I don't think you could get back a better player for Brandon Phillips than Brandon Phillips. If you got equal value, then you're no better off and if you miss on that deal then you're digging this franchise into a deeper hole.

Plus, Phillips is pretty much the only reason I watch Reds games these days. Without him this would be a soul-crushingly boring team.
    Agree on Phillips. At his price tag and with his defense, he'd be one of the only guys I'd pretty much not trade unless bowled over. But I would take him out of the 4th spot in the lineup.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I just caught a glimpse of tonight's lineup on Fay's blog. Let's just say it's Dustastic.
    It shouldn't surprise anyone, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    If Valaika can hit and play 2b, I'd strongly consider trading Phillips. I'd also have no hesitation in trading Arroyo, EE, Keppinger, and, in the right deals, Harang, Votto, and Bailey. Only Volquez, Cueto, and Bruce would be on an untouchable list.
    Isn’t true that any member or members of a team can be traded if the GM were to get more in the return to solve his teams problems.

I wonder also because,
    I don’t think that it is that easy to trade off good fielding second basemen, shortstops, centerfielders or catchers, that can also hit, and to be able to get equal or greater value in return at that position and to at the same time fill other positions from the residuals of those trades. How would you replace the bat and glove of Phillips, when the Reds are short at SS, CF, and C defensively, not to mention some other positions defensively already? Especially knowing that the defense has contributed to a part of the pitching problems?

As far as just trades, I don't care if Jocketty were to eventually move every player that the Reds have now, "If" he could get greater in return, to me and probably to Jocketty, they are all a resource pool to attempt to derive from a greater return to help his team.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I just caught a glimpse of tonight's lineup on Fay's blog. Let's just say it's Dustastic.
    If he hits Bingo with that lineup we are in trouble, we will never see the end of it.

Corey Patterson cf
    Paul Janish ss

Corey has been swinging the bat better lately, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I could almost be banned just for what I'm thinking about our illustrious manager right now.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Corey has been swinging the bat better lately, dude.
    He certainly couldn't have swung it any worse.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Bingo. More Arroyo then Harang, although we seem to lose everytime Harang starts. If we were getting 2006-2007 numbers from our two veteran anchors, the team is almost certainly .500 or better. Add in KGJ's anemic power production and lack of range in RF and we find its the well paid veterans that are more inconsistent and underperforiming vs. the young kids.
    Anyone wanna convince me that Harang and Arroyo aren't feeling the lingering abuse from Jerry Narron?

I know it's easy to just blame Narron, but there's plenty of factual support for that claim.

I did not post this lineup moderators to discuss lineups, I posted it as an illustration to the question or topic of the thread, “What’s Wrong”

When the thread asks “what’s wrong”, the lineups that produce fewer hits, fewer at bats or PA for the teams better hitters, fewer men on base, and fewer runs, runs are a part of what is wrong, leaving men on base, lack of run support for the pitching, adding additional pressures to the Reds pitchers to be too perfect and even pressure on the defense, while making it easier for the oppositions pitchers and defense, I don’t see how it cannot combine to contribute to “what’s wrong”.

Corey Patterson cf .238 .361 .599

Paul Janish ss .304 .262 .566

Ken Griffey Jr. rf .363 .413 .777

Brandon Phillips 2b .291 .397 .688 against right handed pitchers.

Adam Dunn lf .403 .518 .921

Edwin Encarnacion 3b .325 .436 .761

Joey Votto 1b .348 .490 .838

David Ross c .352 .317 .669

Bronson Arroyo p .222 .125 .347

How many one or two runs games have the Reds lost because something like above, I don't know.

Baseball Musings Lineup Analysis
    Based on work by Cyril Morong, Ken Arneson and Ryan Armbrust
    Fill in nine players, OBA and Slugging Percentage

http://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-b...eupAnalysis.py

Runs per game for above lineup: 3.930. X 162 = 636.66 Runs Scored Projection

The comparison belows is 4.244 runs per game 4.244 x 162 687.528 Run differentiation +51

Here I am not interested in the lineup that it created, but for illustration it shows a lineup can make a difference in RS runs scored.

Runs per Game 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    4.244 Ross Dunn Encarncion Griffey Votto Phillips Janish Patterson Arroyo
    4.243 Ross Dunn Encarncion Griffey Votto Patterson Janish Phillips Arroyo
    4.241 Ross Dunn Encarncion Votto Griffey Phillips Janish Patterson Arroyo
    4.241 Ross Dunn Votto Griffey Encarncion Phillips Janish Patterson Arroyo
    4.240 Ross Dunn Encarncion Votto Griffey Patterson Janish Phillips Arroyo
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 06-12-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Code:
    RK	TEAM	RunsScored	 BA	 OBP	 SLG	 OPS 
    1 Chicago Cubs	369  		.284 	.362 	.447	.809 
    2 Philadelphia	350  		.261 	.339 	.451 	.790 
    3 Florida 	324  		.259 	.325 	.459 	.783 
    4 St. Louis 	320  		.274 	.357 	.419 	.776 
    5 Pittsburgh 	318 		.259 	.327 	.405 	.732 
    6 Arizona 	318 		.251 	.330 	.429 	.759 
    7 Atlanta 	305 		.273 	.350 	.425 	.774 
    8 Cincinnati 	301 		.251 	.329 	.410 	.739 
    9 Houston 	300 		.265 	.322 	.421 	.743 
    10 NY Mets 	300  		.253 	.330 	.390 	.719 
    11 Milwaukee 	289  		.252 	.323 	.418 	.741 
    12 LA Dodgers 	281 		.264 	.332 	.382 	.714 
    13 Colorado 	273 		.256 	.327 	.394 	.722 
    14 San Francisco267 		.262 	.325 	.402 	.727 
    15 San Diego 	244  		.243 	.316 	.370 	.686 
    16 Washington 	243 		.234 	.310 	.356 	.666

Ya, while he has flaws, the Reds probably don't want to trade Phillips.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

For instance, the team is still way too thin on players who can hit and defend.
    Yep. The Reds have had a bunch of "or" players in recent years, but "and" players have been few and far between. Phillips is one. Now that Bruce is here, we have two. Not enough.

Actually, I'd settle for more players who, if not above-average in both respects, at least weren't a glaring minus in one or the other.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 06-12-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I know it's easy to just blame Narron, but there's plenty of factual support for that claim.
    I'm a very open-minded person. Please show that factual support other then subjectiveness based solely on pitch count. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I agree that Brandon Phillips is a very good 2B. However, I feel that some GM's might overrate his abilities, willing to give up more talent than he is worth in return. I also think that trading Phillips could potentially fill several holes at once while replacing Phillips with Kepp.

For example, would you prefer Lineup A or Lineup B for 2009?

A
    C-??
    1B-Votto
    2B-Phillips
    SS-Keppinger
    3B-EE
    LF-Dunn
    CF-??
    RF-Bruce

B
    C-Filled w/Phillips trade
    1B-Votto
    2B-Keppinger
    SS-AGon/Janish
    3B-EE
    LF-Dunn
    CF-Filled w/Phillips trade
    RF-Bruce

I strive for a winning team, not an exciting one...

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I wonder also because,
    I don’t think that it is that easy to trade off good fielding second basemen, shortstops, centerfielders or catchers, that can also hit, and to be able to get equal or greater value in return at that position and to at the same time fill other positions from the residuals of those trades. How would you replace the bat and glove of Phillips, when the Reds are short at SS, CF, and C defensively, not to mention some other positions defensively already? Especially knowing that the defense has contributed to a part of the pitching problems?
    That is why it depends greatly on the return for Phillips. I believe that other GM's would value him highly and that the Reds could get a hefty return for him, potentially filling multiple holes (CF, C, SS, arms) while replacing Phillips with Keppinger, who offers similar production...

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Yep. The Reds have had a bunch of "or" players in recent years, but "and" players have been few and far between. Phillips is one. Now that Bruce is here, we have two. Not enough.

Actually, I'd settle for more players who, if not above-average in both respects, at least weren't a glaring minus in one or the other.
    Like Jeff Keppinger? He is just as productive a hitter as Brandon Phillips, and would not be very far behind in overall production since he is a better defender at 2B than he is at SS...

Turn Off Ads?