Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 8th Edition

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball 8th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I'd have to do some number crunching, but I don't think I can put Ohio State in my all-time top ten. Their entire history is basically the Jerry Lucas/John Havlicek era (three seasons) and the Thad Matta era (8 seasons) . Between those two eras they went something like 40-45 years with just a single Final Four appearance and they lost that game. With only one national championship, and that coming 52 years ago, they have to be somewhere outside the top ten.
    I dont know New York. Better look up their history. My numbers show 11 FF appearances spanning the entire time of the NCAA tournament. Arizona, Louisville, and Syracuse cant say that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I dont know New York. Better look up their history. My numbers show 11 FF appearances spanning the entire time of the NCAA tournament. Arizona, Louisville, and Syracuse cant say that.
    UofL has 9. The title combined with being 16th in all-time wins instead of 36th where OSU ranks puts them ahead, IMO. Louisville's winning % is also substantially higher. But OSU does have a surprisingly proud tradition, like you note.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ege_basketball

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    UofL has 9. The title combined with being 16th in all-time wins instead of 36th where OSU ranks puts them ahead, IMO. Louisville's winning % is also substantially higher. But OSU does have a surprisingly proud tradition, like you note.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ege_basketball
    Louisville didnt do alot until Crum became coach. Also take into account the fact that the Bucks have played in the Big Ten. Lex, back in the old days, you had to win your conference in order to go to "The Dance". If you didnt win it, you didnt go. The "at-larges" as we call them today went to Independents.

Ohio State has been to the tournament 28 times, so they've had their chances. Yes, 11 Final Fours, but like I said most of their success has come in two brief periods -- '60, '61 and '62 with Lucas and Havlicek, and the Thad Matta years, starting in '05. In the 43 years between, two Final Fours. They've become really good under Matta, but still their only championship year was 52 years ago. That's a really long drought. OSU's FF total would easily put them in the top ten, but championships carry much more weight, in my opinion.

I can understand that but you have left a couple of "eras" out of your post. The Bucks were dang good under Eldon Miller in the early 80's with Kellogg and Williams. And the early 90's under Randy Ayres with Jimmy Jackson. I do believe they also made a FF under Jim O'Brien in the "modern era". IMO they should be in the Top Ten regardless of the number of championships. Look at UConn, they werent squat until the mid to late 80's and have multiple championships. Championships do carry weight but when you talk the best programs of all-time, I think being competitive over a span of 60-70 years should be weighed into the equation as well as FF appearances and tournament wins. It is a great topic to debate.

part of BBN

Looks like Davis may be a Hornet rather than a Bobcat.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Looks like Davis may be a Hornet rather than a Bobcat.
    Good karma for Davis going to New Orleans since that was the city of his national championship.
    The Hornets also have the 10th pick. You think they might take Terrence Jones with that one? Gilchrist will be gone by then and Jones should be around. I think 10th is about where he is projected in the draft.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Lucky Davis! Charlotte is absolutely the worst franchise in the NBA. The Hornets have a good owner now and a pretty decent young team. Hopefully Davis can help my boy out down there.

Still sort of about UK, so I'm going to ask your guys' thoughts about this. My roommates and I last night debated that Charlotte might be better swapping the #2 pick (MKG? Beal?) for #6 and #11 from Portland, maybe next year's first rounder or another player as well. They need A LOT of help. That one non-Davis player can't provide.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Still sort of about UK, so I'm going to ask your guys' thoughts about this. My roommates and I last night debated that Charlotte might be better swapping the #2 pick (MKG? Beal?) for #6 and #11 from Portland, maybe next year's first rounder or another player as well. They need A LOT of help. That one non-Davis player can't provide.
    Were I Charlotte, that's exactly what I'd do.

But why would Portland do that?

They don't need Thomas Robinson, Kidd-Gilchrist, or Bradley Beal, as they have Aldridge at power forward.

They need a center badly-- perhaps Andre Drummond at #6 or Tyler Zeller at #11?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Were I Charlotte, that's exactly what I'd do.

But why would Portland do that?

They don't need Thomas Robinson, Kidd-Gilchrist, or Bradley Beal, as they have Aldridge at power forward.

They need a center badly-- perhaps Andre Drummond at #6 or Tyler Zeller at #11?
    True. We were just discussing it from Chartlotte's end, Portland doesn't really need anything at 2 they couldn't get at 6.

You fellas talking NBA got me to thinking about a discussion I saw on an IU board. I will put it in the UK context in the form of a question.

Who would you consider as the best NBA player that went to UK?

Who would you consider as the best NBA player that went to UK?
    In the "modern" NBA, Dan Issel. Cliff Hagan, Louie Dampier (ABA), Jamal Mashburn would be my next 3. After that the pickins are a lil slim. Rondo will climb the list if he keeps it up. Too soon to tell on anyone else.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    In the "modern" NBA, Dan Issel. Cliff Hagan, Louie Dampier (ABA), Jamal Mashburn would be my next 3. After that the pickins are a lil slim. Rondo will climb the list if he keeps it up. Too soon to tell on anyone else.
    That's the kicker dabvu......NBA. Dan Issel by far would be my first assumption. But he did alot of his playing in the ABA.

That's the kicker dabvu......NBA. Dan Issel by far would be my first assumption. But he did alot of his playing in the ABA.

True. But he scored over half his points after the merger. Unlike Dampier, who was almost exclusively an ABA guy.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?