Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Get Bruce some extra help?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Get Bruce some extra help?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Jay is also 2-2 w 1BB w/ runner on 3rd and < 2 outs.
    Jay is also 2-5 with 3 K's on weekdays after 4 pm against opponents with a winning record on weekends.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I would guess that none of these players have the potential to be one of the best players in the game, as was once thought with Bruce. I think that's where some of the frustration is derived.
    I think the same went on with Eric Davis. Fans thought he was going to be the next Willie Mays but due in large part to injury it didn't happen.

I'm still darn glad he was a Red.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Here's a stat that will blow your mind.

April 15, 2013

Reds are second in MLB in walks (hitting, not pitching) with 51, behind Oakland's hitters at 52.
    Take out Joey Votto, and every other teams' leading walker and I bet that stat is very different.

For reference Votto was walked more times than the CWS's entire team.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I think the same went on with Eric Davis. Fans thought he was going to be the next Willie Mays but due in large part to injury it didn't happen.

I'm still darn glad he was a Red.
    Look at ED's 1986 and 1987 seasons. Pretty remarkable combination of power and speed. And he accomplished that on some bad teams. Loved that guy. Definitely underappreciated at the time. Compare those numbers to players today.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...aviser01.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Take out Joey Votto, and every other teams' leading walker and I bet that stat is very different.

For reference Votto was walked more times than the CWS's entire team.
    Well, after I posted it, it's probably pretty much Votto and Choo.

Here's the breakdown on walks by hitter:

Votto 20
    Choo 5
    Frazier 5
    Hanigan 5
    Mez 4
    Bruce, Heisey, BP, Ludwick - 2 each
    Cozart, Hannahan, Izturis, Latos - 1 each

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Look at ED's 1986 and 1987 seasons. Pretty remarkable combination of power and speed. And he accomplished that on some bad teams. Loved that guy. Definitely underappreciated at the time. Compare those numbers to players today.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...aviser01.shtml
    The Reds finished second both years.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The Reds finished second both years.
    They crucified him early too

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7445/index.htm

June 20, 1988

Davis, who was hitting a disappointing .247 at week's end, found himself in trouble last week when The Cincinnati Enquirer printed a story in which an unnamed source claimed the centerfielder might be involved in drugs. The next day Davis vehemently denied the report and lashed out at the press. "When other players get off to bad starts, no one says anything," he told the Cincinnati Post . "But when something happens to a black player, it's because of drugs. Last year, I had 19 homers in May and I was the greatest thing since Swiss cheese. No one started any of this stuff then."

The 1986-88 teams were underachieving teams....Saddled with a GM who refused to part with crown jewels for the 1987 run, and then when he did in 1988....no one could pick up the slack that a departed Dave Parker left in the 4th spot.

Turn Off Ads?