Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Webb working out with Bryan Price

Brandon Webb working out with Bryan Price

The former Cy Young winner has been working out with the Reds pitching coach for about a month now. Price has shortened his delivery, and has him playing tennis (concentrating on his overhand serve) to also help out on his delivery. I've been told the ball has really been moving well, and that it feels great coming out of Brandon's hand. Not sure on the velocity though. If Price likes what he sees, he would be a great Spring Training invite.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Webb working out with Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    The former Cy Young winner has been working out with the Reds pitching coach for about a month now. Price has shortened his delivery, and has him playing tennis (concentrating on his overhand serve) to also help out on his delivery. I've been told the ball has really been moving well, and that it feels great coming out of Brandon's hand. Not sure on the velocity though. If Price likes what he sees, he would be a great Spring Training invite.

And if that doesn't work out, there is always Wimbledon.

Nothing wrong with trying to catch lightning in a bottle. At the very least, Webb could be a nice relief pitcher in the bullpen.

cant hurt to give him an invite to camp..

I've liked Webb since he arrived in MLB. He was pretty close with Price when both were in AZ. If he has anything left, sign him. Let him work on his game at Louisville to see if he can recapture that sinker. Good insurance for starters. Now, the hard part is getting him to agree to a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I've liked Webb since he arrived in MLB. He was pretty close with Price when both were in AZ. If he has anything left, sign him. Let him work on his game at Louisville to see if he can recapture that sinker. Good insurance for starters. Now, the hard part is getting him to agree to a contract.
    I dont think it would be too hard to sign him..Hes been out of the game for awhile and he knows whoever does sign him nothing will be guaranteed because of his non ability to throw a ball the past few years...I also think him being a huge Reds fan growing up has a major role on why he would sign with the Reds over most teams

Talk about a no risk move...

If he's even 80% of his former self, he's at least a useful major league pitcher. If not, cut him loose. He's not going to cost you much of anything

This would be a great signing if they ink him to a minor league deal. Think Navarro, except with more upside.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Webb was on his way to the Hall of Fame. Great story if he could make it back to the bigs after missing, essentially, four seasons due to injury.

Reminds me of the Dontrelle Willis signing a few years ago. Both pitchers were big names with big upside but were no longer close to their prime. Willis ended up being a nice addition in 2011 and pitched 13 games in the ML for us, gaining 9 quality starts. I don't think its fair to say Brandon Webb will have the same turn in fortune, but I have no problem giving him a chance if the price is right. Who knows, he could turn out to be a big asset if a SP goes down and he gets back to 80% of the pitcher he once was.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

Oh man...I loved having D-Train on the team, and he was one of my favorite Reds during his time here. I remember a few games where the offense just wasn't getting it done, but Willis would then go to the plate and get a hit, only to stay on first or second because no one could knock him in and he would end up taking a loss.

You would expect him to be frustrated with so many games that season, but after every single one he would get on twitter, apologize and thank the fans and his team mates and tell everyone he would get a win the next time. I'm surprised no one tried to take him and make him into a position player. I really wish things would have gone differently for him that year and he would have stayed on the staff. Class act and good ballplayer all the way. Doesn't hurt my opinion that he was on a team that helped ruined the Cubs chances at a World Series either, even if he did get a loss in the NLCS.
    Last edited by joshua; 12-18-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nheath22 View Post
    Reminds me of the Dontrelle Willis signing a few years ago. Both pitchers were big names with big upside but were no longer close to their prime. Willis ended up being a nice addition in 2011 and pitched 13 games in the ML for us, gaining 9 quality starts. I don't think its fair to say Brandon Webb will have the same turn in fortune, but I have no problem giving him a chance if the price is right. Who knows, he could turn out to be a big asset if a SP goes down and he gets back to 80% of the pitcher he once was.
    Willis is the perfect comparison. I would definitely like to bring in Webb on a minor league deal and see if he can regain his form.

Great "no -risk" move. Do it!

For arguments sake, let's say Webb is able to recover and be a reasonable resemblance to his old self. What an embarrassment of riches: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman and Webb. It definitely frees up Arroyo (does Arroyo have a no trade clause?) and Leake to be traded.

And going further, what would you do if Cincinnati were in the playoffs and went to a three man rotation? Who are the odd men out?

A revitalized Webb with the Reds defense would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    For arguments sake, let's say Webb is able to recover and be a reasonable resemblance to his old self. What an embarrassment of riches: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman and Webb. It definitely frees up Arroyo (does Arroyo have a no trade clause?) and Leake to be traded.

And going further, what would you do if Cincinnati were in the playoffs and went to a three man rotation? Who are the odd men out?

A revitalized Webb with the Reds defense would be amazing.
    Even at my most optimistic, I don't see Webb being more than 85 to 90% of the guy he once was, and that would be after at least a full year of pitching, so not 2013.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?