Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heisman Trophy

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Heisman Trophy

Sam Bradford won the Heisman Trophy tonight. All three of the guys were very classy tonight but I'm thrilled Tebow didn't win again since I think the other two had better years. I'm watching Sam give his speech on ESPN and I think he's about to break down and cry, LOL

Congrats Sam!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heisman Trophy

Whew, the Scarlet and Gray faithful can breathe a sigh of relief. BOOMER SOONER!

I think they got it right. When you step back and look at how good he's been this year, it's quite staggering. I think it will be between Tebow and Bradford next year as well. Heck, even McCoy might be int he mix, too.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Whew, the Scarlet and Gray faithful can breathe a sigh of relief. BOOMER SOONER!

Just curious, why is this good for tOSU? I must be missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Just curious, why is this good for tOSU? I must be missing something.
    Archie!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Archie!

Oh, O.K.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I would have voted for Tebow. Imagine the stats he would have put up playing against those Big 12 Defenses that McCoy faced. Missouri was 118th against the pass, Kansas 112th, OkSt 107th, Texas, 106th, KState 102nd, Baylor 101st, etc...). Constrast that with Tebow who faced SCarolina 4th, Tennessee 5th, FSU 9th, etc...) For a "Running" QB to have a 14-1 TD to Int ratio is beyond insane. Bradford was great, but he was only sacked 9 times this year (McCoy was sacked 20 times and Tebow 15). He gets to sit back and throw to two NFL receiver and a top 15 pick at TE. I think any above average QB could have steered that offense. Nobody can do what Tebow does and the only guy who can come close was McCoy.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I would have voted for Tebow. Imagine the stats he would have put up playing against those Big 12 Defenses that McCoy faced. Missouri was 118th against the pass, Kansas 112th, OkSt 107th, Texas, 106th, KState 102nd, Baylor 101st, etc...).
    Catch 22? Maybe those pass defenses are ranked so low because they had to face Big 12 offenses?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Catch 22? Maybe those pass defenses are ranked so low because they had to face Big 12 offenses?
    Somewhat, but if Texas could have tackled they would be undefeated and in the BCS title game. Also, if you noticed, Oklahoma started to play some defense down the stretch and they were able to shut down Missouri and a few other teams.
    Put it this way, if you switch Bradford with Matthew Stafford at Georgia, does their season look any different?

Sorry, but the only real good defense in the SEC is Florida, and Alabama? I don't think the defenses Florida faced were any better than Oklahoma.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Put it this way, if you switch Bradford with Matthew Stafford at Georgia, does their season look any different?
    For one, Stafford is a really good QB. Secondly, Georgia's problems were defense, not offense, so I don't see how Stafford is somehow to blame for the team's struggles. Finally, I do believe Bradford is better than Stafford. Stafford is really good, but he makes some bonehead plays sometimes. Bradford is the smarter player.

Put it this way, I don't Florida would have been any worse with Stafford or Bradford. That team is loaded from top to bottom. No one plays with more weapns than Tebow. Everyone wants to apply all kinds of filters to the performance of other players, but I rarely, if ever, see the same filters applied to Tebow. Heck, look at what Alex Smith did in that system. Tebow is very good, but he benefits from a superior system as much as any QB. He's perfect for that system, but I think there are plenty of QBs out there who'd thrive in that system as well.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Archie's reign may be over next year when the 2009 Heisman is awarded once again. Each of the top 3 were very deserving, but personally, I'm glad Sam Bradford won. Oklahoma with Bradford, et al, is a monster!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    For one, Stafford is a really good QB. Secondly, Georgia's problems were defense, not offense, so I don't see how Stafford is somehow to blame for the team's struggles. Finally, I do believe Bradford is better than Stafford. Stafford is really good, but he makes some bonehead plays sometimes. Bradford is the smarter player.

Put it this way, I don't Florida would have been any worse with Stafford or Bradford. That team is loaded from top to bottom. No one plays with more weapns than Tebow. Everyone wants to apply all kinds of filters to the performance of other players, but I rarely, if ever, see the same filters applied to Tebow. Heck, look at what Alex Smith did in that system. Tebow is very good, but he benefits from a superior system as much as any QB. He's perfect for that system, but I think there are plenty of QBs out there who'd thrive in that system as well.
    And Oklahoma doesn't? They have four other offensive players expected to go in the top 100 in the draft (TE, WR, OT, OG). Florida has two WR's (if you would call Harvin a WR) ranked in the top 100 and that is all, and Texas has 1 (OG). Two other things. How many Heisman Trophy winners actually LOST to one of the other candidate during the season? Oklahoma's offense is only marginally better than the other Big 12 offenses while Florida is light years ahead of the other SEC offenses. Finally, the most valuable player on Oklahoma isn't even Bradford, it's DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown. Oklahoma lost to UT because they only ran for 40 yards.

How many Heisman Trophy winners actually LOST to one of the other candidate during the season?
    Dont' know. But I don't see how that's relevant considering QBs don't play 1-on-1. Somewhere along the line, wins and losses became a major component of the Heisman trophy, which is completely unfortunate in my mind. It's one of the few major sports awards that was always just about the individual player and their greatness on the field. I don't know when it started, but it has now become a trophy mostly for QBs, and the occassional RB, on top 5 teams. I think the Heisman trophy as a whole has become a lot less interesting and is quickly going the way of the gold glove - a popularity contest. You have to be a "candidate" from the beginning of the season to have any chance. You have to play for a very prominent program, and you have to score TDs. I'd love to see it become about just being an outstanding player like it used to be.

Oklahoma's offense is only marginally better than the other Big 12 offenses while Florida is light years ahead of the other SEC offenses.
    Again, I must just be missing something, but I don't see how this has anything at all to do with the Heisma trophy. It's an argument that's as much about other teams in a conference, than the individual player. All you're saying here is that the offenses in the Big 12 were better than that of the SEC. I don't see how that makes Tebow any better. This is an individual award about how great an individual player is. Once again, conferences are figuring way too prominently in college football discussions. I'm not sure if it's always been this way, but I think the impact of conferences in general are WAY overblown in a lot of college football debates. Individual players and individual teams are becoming secondary to the conference they play in. I always look at the player or the team first. The conferences aren't nearly as important, IMO.

It's just my opinion that Bradford was the more outstanding player this year. And as to your point of arguing that DeMarco Murray was that team's MVP, I completely disagree. Bradford was the motor of that offense. I watched OU play several times this year and I watched Florida play a few as well. Bradford was the differene maker for OU moreso than Tebow, IMO. And you could probably argue that Harvin was as valuable as Tebow on the year as well. When it's all said and done, it's one person's opinions and biases versus others. I think Crabtree should have been in the top 3. I think there are other players that should have garnered some consideration as well, but were never even considered because they were never hyped in the pre-season, they didn't play QB, and they didn't play for a top 5 program.

Next Year

I was hoping McCoy would win it. The Heisman has been a bit of a curse in recent years.

Turn Off Ads?