Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firesale Proposal

Firesale Proposal

This from M2 in another thread got me thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Yet none of that applies to Phillips. That's just blowing a hole in your team for the sake of blowing a hole in your team. The Reds need his glove and power-speed combination. The only way I'd trade him is if I were doing a complete rebuild. In which case I'd be moving Harang and Arroyo too.
    Say no moves happen between now and Feb 15. Walt goes to Cast and says "Look, this team has a pretty good core of young players, but it cannot win the division as constructed. If we have a fire sale right now, we can build a winner that will last a decade."

Considering the depth at SP and the corners, would you support a fire sale? It means getting rid of Harang, Arroyo, BP, and Cordero. Probably say bye to some filler like Kepp and Rhodes as well.

I could almost support that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Firesale Proposal

I wonder if people will accept another firesale and rebuilding plan.

I really don't think a "firesale" is necessary. I can't say I'd be opposed to making some strategic "burns" here and there but building a team around Bruce and Votto would mean a long process. And I can't help but wonder if fans will wonder why this new rebuild where succeed where other ones didn't.

I'd be open to cutting EE, Keppinger, and Gonzalez if Walt had a plan in place to get some guys who have a better chance of making a big impact.

Starting over would be a little overwhelming, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I wonder if people will accept another firesale and rebuilding plan.

I really don't think a "firesale" is necessary. I can't say I'd be opposed to making some strategic "burns" here and there but building a team around Bruce and Votto would mean a long process. And I can't help but wonder if fans will wonder why this new rebuild where succeed where other ones didn't.

I'd be open to cutting EE, Keppinger, and Gonzalez if Walt had a plan in place to get some guys who have a better chance of making a big impact.

Starting over would be a little overwhelming, I believe.

Exceot the Reds haven't done anything resembling a "firesale". They've picked at it, but haven't pulled the band-aid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Exceot the Reds haven't done anything resembling a "firesale". They've picked at it, but haven't pulled the band-aid off.
    I would call July 2003 a firesale, and the firesale didn't spare the manager or the GM.
    Go BLUE!!!

If I were to move Harang, I would be reluctant do so before before the season. After last year I think his value is likely down a bit right now. With a good first half, I think he would have tremendous value before the trading deadline. I don't know that I would move him and leave the staff without a veteran starter to help nurture the young arms.

I'm tired of trading players away for things that might be useful later. How about playing for now for once, instead of a rolling five year plan that never reaches an end?

With names like Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Encarnacion, Harrang, Volquez, Cueto, Burton and Cordero on your team you'd *ought* to be able to build a team that sniffs at contention.

If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.

It's not an easy task certainly, but someone with The Jocks pedigree could have a lot less to work with. Maybe it takes some more $$$. Maybe it takes some creative and risky moves that ultimately don't pan out. But it's not like we've got a field full of total stiffs.

And if you do the fire-sale now, you aren't going to get enough in return to restock the pond. You just end up with another mish-mash of talent and in 5 years someone else will call for another fire-sale.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-18-2008 at 09:12 PM.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Cool!
    Just think of how often you could go watch Willy T patrolling centerfield...in person!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    This from M2 in another thread got me thinking...

Considering the depth at SP and the corners, would you support a fire sale? It means getting rid of Harang, Arroyo, BP, and Cordero. Probably say bye to some filler like Kepp and Rhodes as well.
    I've never been unwilling to trade Phillips, Arroyo, Cordero and a number of other players on the team. I wouldn't be tradeing them in a 'firesale mode' however. I'd want value at the big league level and try to reshap my team that way.

Rem

I have no interest in a firesale. The Reds have a good mixture of young talent at the major league level (Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, Votto, Encarnacion, Phillips, Dickerson, Burton, Owings) along with some solid vets (Harang, Arroyo, Cordero) and near major league ready talent (Alonso, Frazier, Valaika, Roenicke, Fisher, Maloney). A couple good moves by Jocketty makes this team a contender for quite awhile, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I have no interest in a firesale. The Reds have a good mixture of young talent at the major league level (Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, Votto, Encarnacion, Phillips, Dickerson, Burton, Owings) along with some solid vets (Harang, Arroyo, Cordero) and near major league ready talent (Alonso, Frazier, Valaika, Roenicke, Fisher, Maloney). A couple good moves by Jocketty makes this team a contender for quite awhile, IMO.
    Exactly.

For the first time in awhile this team actually has some pitching. Real pitching. Not the I hope I catch lightning in a bottle Pete Harnisch, Pete Shoureck, Paul Wilson pitching. Real pitching. It's not the best staff in the world, but it is pretty damn good for a change.

Plus, Votto, Bruce, and Phillips make up a nice core offensively. The Reds are a couple of Jocketty moves from being a contender for a while, including this year.
    Last edited by Redhook; 12-18-2008 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling of course
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I agree almost 100% with OBM except I think this is particularly the time when we have to have extreme patience. The rotation is not experienced enough, IMO, to be a contending group in 2009, but by 2010 it could be. We've got to get Harang back to consistency, Arroyo needs to show himself capable of giving 200 solid innings, Volquez and Cueto have to work through the problems of young starters, and we need to solidify #5. That's the agenda for this year. By late this season we could be very good. Most important thing to do now is to do nothing that will diminish the team's chances in 2010 and beyond.

I'd rather roll the dice that Walt is going to be able to keep the core together and eventually upgrade the position players. History shown he has the skill to build a potent lineup. He just needs some time. Hernandez is a respectable start. Going after Dye was the right thinking, as was the rumored Burton-Crisp trade offer. Eventually Walt is going to close the deal on a few trades like that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    moving them to Nashville
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?