Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Morgan

Re: Joe Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    If someone called you a name, would a media circus ensue? I'm not saying Joe's comparison is completely apt, but those girls had their whole worlds rocked (rightly or not). Getting back to normal after that type of disruption was his point, not that being called a name is the same as losing classmates in a firestorm.
    I guess if I had been a survivor or a surviving family member of the Virginia Tech massacre I would be pretty irate to hear Joe compare the two incidents in any way.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 04-18-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Joe was comparing the Imus incident which college basketball players were called names and got their feelings hurt to a mass murder incident in Virginia. If someone called me a bad name or a friend of mine a bad name I would be able to go on with my life without a hitch, if someone murdered me or someone on the same campus as me then that would rock my world to a severe degree.

For Joe to compare the aftermath of name calling to the aftermath of mass murder is just nutty.
    That's you, but if you were a woman or of another race you'd whistle a different tune, that's called empathy, and there is nothing wrong with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's you, but if you were a woman or of another race you'd whistle a different tune, that's called empathy, and there is nothing wrong with it at all.
    Calling someone names and commiting mass murder arent in the same universe of wrong doings in the world.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Calling someone names and commiting mass murder arent in the same universe of wrong doings in the world.
    As ludicrous as this may sound, and I can't believe I'm about to type it, that all depends on your perspective.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I guess if I had been a survivor or a surviving family member of the Virginia Tech massacre I would be pretty irate to hear Joe compare the two incidents in anyway.
    Probably.

But those of us who aren't personally involved in the situations ought to be able to distinguish what, exactly, about the incidents is being compared and what isn't.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

A HO is the same white or black. Call me a ho a million times but please don't kill me. How can you compare the two? Did I miss something here?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    A HO is the same white or black. Call me a ho a million times but please don't kill me. How can you compare the two? Did I miss something here?
    No not at all. I am confused also. I think this is precisely why people are so messed up. They actually think that being called a name (no matter who you are) can compare to having bullets sent toward you. For those like Joe who think that their perspectives are sane just go ask those at both schools which ones they would rather be (Rutgers players or VT students yesterday) and see how many stand in the VT line.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

No not at all. I am confused also. I think this is precisely why people are so messed up.
    People are messed up because you are confused?

The comparison isn't black and white, it's about how outside events affect someone at college and how that changes the students perspective.

But that's a Grey version, because everyone knows that bullets are bad.

Now if we can just get white folks to admit racism exists too.

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    No not at all. I am confused also. I think this is precisely why people are so messed up. They actually think that being called a name (no matter who you are) can compare to having bullets sent toward you. For those like Joe who think that their perspectives are sane just go ask those at both schools which ones they would rather be (Rutgers players or VT students yesterday) and see how many stand in the VT line.
    That wasn't the comparison. He wasn't comparing the name calling to the shooting, he was making a point that neither of these groups could see the events coming. They didn't bring these events on themselves. They were going about their normal college lives, trying to work to better themselves, and something dropped in on it. I was listening to the interview and the "Imus" comment at first seemed to come out of left field, but when Joe finished his thought it made sense. He was in no way implying that the "Imus" incident had the same magnitude as what happened at VT.

People are messed up because you are confused?

The comparison isn't black and white, it's about how outside events affect someone at college and how that changes the students perspective.

But that's a Grey version, because everyone knows that bullets are bad.

Now if we can just get white folks to admit racism exists too.
    I will admit that racism exist,I have seen it for myself and what I have seen is more black on white racism than vice versa. Wouldn't you agree? I can say this because I don't have a job to lose.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Wouldn't you agree?
    Not in a million years, not in a million years.

I can see your point, with everybody looking in from the third-person view, but I have been targeted for racial slurs before(no I am not a minority; but everyone can be racist to.)

Trust me I didn't go and shelter for the rest of my life. Its nothing to me. Now if I lost a close friend or family member or new someone that did, that just might have the "slightest" chance that it would change my life.
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

I will admit that racism exist,I have seen it for myself and what I have seen is more black on white racism than vice versa. Wouldn't you agree? I can say this because I don't have a job to lose.
    Agree.

It might seem that way. Your everyday kind of hair combin' over tighty whitey underpants wearin' suburban livin' hybrid car drivin' kind of guy isn't going to be too aware of white on black racism.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    It might seem that way. Your everyday kind of hair combin' over tighty whitey underpants wearin' suburban livin' hybrid car drivin' kind of guy isn't going to be too aware of white on black racism.
    A guy coming from a 50/50 whites to minority's, I could have some say on this.

Turn Off Ads?