Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 5/29/13 Reds v. Indians - same teams, different ballpark

Re: 5/29/13 Reds v. Indians - same teams, different ballpark

I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I love the NHL playoffs and I find it pretty irritating that I can't flip over to the dramatic game 7 between Chicago and Detroit during commercials.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Dusty's lineup construction is the weakest part of his managerial resume. Far from the most important though. VERY far.
    I agree that Dusty does a lot of things well. I think he manages the clubhouse well. I think he's a leader of men (which is underrated). I think he handles the media well (which is also underrated).

But no question he is a disaster at times when it comes to lineup construction. Good to see you agree here.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Dusty's lineup construction is the weakest part of his managerial resume. Far from the most important though. VERY far.
    I'm still not getting this. Lutz was hitting below .250 at AA and has a .600 OPS in the majors so far.

Hannahan is a .668 OPS player over 7 years.

Other than the fact that Lutz is a big fellow and probably strong, how come it's so wrong to use Hannahan over Lutz?

And if not Lutz, who else? Derrick Robinson? Fine, but is that such a big difference?

Just not getting this.

I can kind of see Welch's POV on the Tribe/Reds deal in columbus. Whenever we go home to Ohio (Zanesville area) I do my Reds shopping on the western half of the state because there is 10 times the amount of Cleveland stuff compared to Reds stuff in the Zanesville/Columbus area. As soon as we cross the Ohio border, I start looking for a Target, Meijers or a Mall just so I can replenish our Reds gear, *and* have some kind of selection...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm sold on going after Giambi at the deadline as my LHPH.

/half-kidding
    I definitely would, but at the moment it seems the Tribe will be in the playoff hunt.

We could definitely use a Giambi type as a pinch hitter/DH in interleague games. And Jim Thome is available.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I thought Hoover looked pretty good there.

And how much weight did that man put on since last season?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Vinny Pistano...mafia?

Now the sound guy is playing Walk by Pantera? This guy is unreal!
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I agree that Dusty does a lot of things well. I think he manages the clubhouse well. I think he's a leader of men (which is underrated). I think he handles the media well (which is also underrated).

But no question he is a disaster at times when it comes to lineup construction. Good to see you agree here.
    With that small part, yes I agree. But I'll be honest, there's not another manager I see that I prefer over Dusty. I know that won't be a popular opinion, but I put much more weight in the managing of PEOPLE than I do in the managing of a GAME. He manages a game "by the book" and it frustrates tons of people who think they know the game better than the old schoolers. They very well may. I won't dispute that. But, and this is a very big "but", doing things "by the book" has worked pretty darned well through the years...and no matter how much fans study the game on their computers, Dusty probably knows more about the ins and outs of the game than any of them.

He makes mistakes, he makes decisions that leave us scratching our heads...but at the same time he also has more information at his disposal that influence those decisions that we have no clue about. His teams win, his teams are competitive, his teams play HARD, and his teams play as a team. He's got my support. I LOATHE the managerial merry-go-round and I love stability in the clubhouse.

11. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-29-2013),OGB (05-29-2013)

Lets just get the tying run to the plate. Can't be too greedy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm still not getting this. Lutz was hitting below .250 at AA and has a .600 OPS in the majors so far.

Hannahan is a .668 OPS player over 7 years.

Other than the fact that Lutz is a big fellow and probably strong, how come it's so wrong to use Hannahan over Lutz?

And if not Lutz, who else? Derrick Robinson? Fine, but is that such a big difference?

Just not getting this.
    I'm not complaining about TODAY'S lineup. I liked it. His history of leadoff and 2 hole hitter choices is far from optimal though...wouldn't you agree?

Paul!

Whoa. Distance please.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Paaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuullllllllll

Pirates just won over Detroit. Cards trail Royals by two still.

Turn Off Ads?