Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez

Alex Gonzalez

Even though our beloved Redlegs came up short last night, watching Alex Gonzalez play short was worth my $32 ticket price. It was an absolute joy to watch that guy pick it all night long as he made play after play. Sometimes a great defensive game needs to be recognized.

Here's to you, Alex!
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Gonzalez

This game was the first one that I have watched all 9 innings on TV and I don't know who these posters on this site who stated that his defense was over-rated and his range was low (and on and on and on) but AGon is simply amazing. And I have been pleasantly surprised by his hitting. It's not great but it is enough considering his amazing glove. Sometimes you just have to watch the game instead of looking "just" at numbers. I think some of those now silent posters have been watching him play gold glove defense.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Even though our beloved Redlegs came up short last night, watching Alex Gonzalez play short was worth my $32 ticket price. It was an absolute joy to watch that guy pick it all night long as he made play after play. Sometimes a great defensive game needs to be recognized.

Here's to you, Alex!
    I think watching a SS play top notch defense is the epitomy of the absolute beauty of the game. Of all my memories of the Reds over the years, my favorites are the ones where Davey Concepcion or Barry Larkin made a jaw dropping defensive play to wow the crowd.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

One of the best plays he made involved a runner reaching on an infield single. Alex went deep in the hole, picked it and came up throwing. Even though the runner beat it out, the crowd cheered the play. Great play.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    One of the best plays he made involved a runner reaching on an infield single. Alex went deep in the hole, picked it and came up throwing. Even though the runner beat it out, the crowd cheered the play. Great play.
    I was at the game last night and his defense really impressed. The two plays that stuck in my head were the one mentioned above (would have gotten a slower runner) and his sliding catch in CF. The latter was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This game was the first one that I have watched all 9 innings on TV and I don't know who these posters on this site who stated that his defense was over-rated and his range was low (and on and on and on) but AGon is simply amazing. And I have been pleasantly surprised by his hitting. It's not great but it is enough considering his amazing glove. Sometimes you just have to watch the game instead of looking "just" at numbers. I think some of those now silent posters have been watching him play gold glove defense.
    I too have been impressed by his defense. I'm just not convinced it's that much better than we could get from Castro now or from Janish next year. Likewise, I still think that serious questions remain about the wisdom of signing him for so much money. If I knew he would suddenly start hitting like Omar Vizquel, the quintessential good-field, hit-enough-to-carry-your-weight shortstop, then I would be happy... but a .292 career OBP is frighteningly bad. And $14 million is a lot to invest in that type of player when you are a small market franchise.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I too have been impressed by his defense. I'm just not convinced it's that much better than we could get from Castro now or from Janish next year.
    I can't believe people are still saying this. Gonzo is ten times the defensive wizard Castro is, and Janish is still a whiles off from reaching the majors.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 04-22-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot who confused Janish with Valakia. D'OH!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Now if somebody would introduce him to his bat, of course at this point he has a well established track record that says it isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Now if somebody would introduce him to his bat, of course at this point he has a well established track record that says it isn't going to happen.
    His combination of glove and bat is prefereable to a hard-hitting defensive trainwreck. His offense is not bad enough to negate his defense; I'll take a .300 OBP from a great middle infielder any day of the week.

My opinion hasn't changed much from day one...teams like Boston and NY would benefit from a signing like this one, not Cincy. Plug a hole with someone who will help defensively and not be an absolute black hole in the lineup. This team needed a lot more than that and this signing didn't get them any closer to the post-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    His offense is not bad enough to negate his
    even though anecdotally he had a "great" defensive season in 2006, Boston saw enough of his offense to reach the opposite conclusion and had no interest in bringing him back in 2007.

got alil captain in u?

mark my words agon will win the gold glove

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    My opinion hasn't changed much from day one...teams like Boston and NY would benefit from a signing like this one, not Cincy. Plug a hole with someone who will help defensively and not be an absolute black hole in the lineup. This team needed a lot more than that and this signing didn't get them any closer to the post-season.
    Right now, other than Hamilton, who's not a black hole in this lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Right now, other than Hamilton, who's not a black hole in this lineup?
    Gonzalez was acquired with the knowledge that he would be an offensive liability. This offense was not in the position to take on another one of those, if they wanted to have a shot at the post-season. Spending $14 million with that knowledge is pretty bad.

I'd like to see AGon for 2 1/2 years, and traded at the 09 deadline (if any value) to make room for Valaika, who I like better than Janish.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?