Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Washington named Rangers' manager

Ron Washington named Rangers' manager

There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ron Washington named Rangers' manager

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    SUPER DUPER!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Well deserved. Good luck Ron. The Reds DESPERATELY need a coach like Ron Washington.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Well deserved. Good luck Ron. The Reds DESPERATELY need a coach like Ron Washington.
    they got Narron, what else do they need?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Hope he does well.

He is better than the former dictator named Buck Shawalter.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Great hire. Washington's supposedly one of the best instructors/motivators in the game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    He is better than the former dictator named Buck Shawalter.
    Fidel ain't got nothing on ol' Bucky.

Guess the Krukie and Bucky Show's gonna be at Baseball Tonight sometime soon. That's entertainment right there.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Great hire. Washington's supposedly one of the best instructors/motivators in the game.

I wonder why Beane didn't give him a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I wonder why Beane didn't give him a shot?
    I have no inside info on the working Oakland administration - but I see the managers that Beane hires, and my guess (and it's a guess) that Beane likes to dictate what a manager does. My guess that Ron Washington would like some say in matters and probably would be too much like Beane to get along with him.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I have no inside info on the working Oakland administration - but I see the managers that Beane hires, and my guess (and it's a guess) that Beane likes to dictate what a manager does. My guess that Ron Washington would like some say in matters and probably would be too much like Beane to get along with him.

I haven't read Moneyball for a while but I seem to recall a passage in there when he was talking with Ray Durham about the running game and they both seemed to be in agreement that the A's should run more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I haven't read Moneyball for a while but I seem to recall a passage in there when he was talking with Ray Durham about the running game and they both seemed to be in agreement that the A's should run more often.
    That's my favorite passage in the book. What I really like about Washington's part in it is his clearly aggressive attitude about the game. You dont try to steal a base, you go out and "get" the base. He didn't view failure as an option.

My take is that's how good/great players think.

He didn't view failure as an option. My take is that's how good/great players think.
    Exactly why I don't think a lot of strikeouts are acceptable for a hitter, or a lot of bases on balls are acceptable for a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Exactly why I don't think a lot of strikeouts are acceptable for a hitter, or a lot of bases on balls are acceptable for a pitcher.
    Whiffs didn't seem to cause a problem for Mike Schmidt or Reggie Jackson or Mickey Mantle. I worry a lot more about a hitter trying not to strike out than a hitter who fans while trying to do some serious damage.

The Schmidts, Mantles, and Reggie Jackson's of the world are the exceptions and not the rule. Granted, some times you just have to tip your cap to the pitcher. The good ones may strike out, but they aren't ever happy about it. Just my opinion and only that.

Turn Off Ads?