Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Retired

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Indicators are he'd be a reserve player, or possibly in CF, with some DH...

Could he handle NOT being a starter?
    If those are the circumstances, then my guess is he will not approve the trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Pauly is quickly wearing people's patience. CF has been a revolving door all year and Thome is as much an injury risk as Jr. at times. Dye and Quentin are playing every day. He'll be a role player at DH and CF to play in the postseason, or he'll languish in Cincy. Choice is his evidently.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

IF Jr. accepts this trade, the next thing I do if I am Reds ownership is fire Brantley. It cannot appear that a broadcaster, especially a bad one can run a player out of town.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    IF Jr. accepts this trade, the next thing I do if I am Reds ownership is fire Brantley.
    For what? Pointing out the obvious? Maybe the "fans should boo louder" was a little far, but the jist of what he said was right on...

Griffey should have been gone a few seasons ago, to the same team, but Uncle Carl nixed that deal...
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-31-2008 at 09:23 AM.

For what? Pointing out the obvious?

Griffey should have been gone a few seasons ago, to the same team, but Uncle Carl nixed that deal...
    it's an appearance thing. Plus add in he's atrocius, screaming how unclutch a player as said player is belting a HR.

He is better on TV that radio, but that's damning him with faint praise.

I was in broadcasting for almost 20 years, and I've rarely ego spill out on the air like his does. off camera/closed mic sure, but on the air? That's reserved for bigger dogs than Jeff freaking Brantley.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I thought so at the time, but in hindsight, it's probably good that we kept him. The Reds were bad for too many reasons, and in spite of that Jr gives nearly all fans a good feeling and someone to talk about. and he kept himself on the field, which I don't think was as easy as it sounds.

[QUOTE=TRF;1706891]it's an appearance thing. Plus add in he's atrocius, screaming how unclutch a player as said player is belting a HR.

QUOTE]

I think the appearance problem comes if they do fire Brantley for being outspoken. That's when the criticism of the team would come.

it's an appearance thing. Plus add in he's atrocius, screaming how unclutch a player as said player is belting a HR.

He is better on TV that radio, but that's damning him with faint praise.

I was in broadcasting for almost 20 years, and I've rarely ego spill out on the air like his does. off camera/closed mic sure, but on the air? That's reserved for bigger dogs than Jeff freaking Brantley.
    I tend to agree with you. I'm all for Brantley being honest and telling it like it is, but he often takes it too far, and needs to tone his act down a bit.

For me personally, this could be an awful day.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It accomplishes two months earlier what would have happened in October anyway. The Reds aren't doing anything this season regardless.

Addition by subtraction isn't nearly enough to save the Reds this season.

This season is toast. This, and any other move they might make today, has nothing to do with saving the season.

An idea on the return.

If Adam Dunn is dealt as well, we will have a hole at the corner outfield spot. The Reds have been trying to cut into the market here in Parkersburg for the past couple of years, which is mostly Pirates territory.

Nick Swisher could use a change of scenery, plus the thought of playing closer to his hometown. Put Swisher or even Votto in LF, and the other at first.

That being said, the White Sox gave up most of their farm system to get Nick, and his salary wouldn't come close to what the Reds would probably want.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

my gut feeling tells me Jr nixes the deal.

Reds will get little in return for Jr if the deal does go through.

He made the comments when Griffey botched a second fly ball....Griffey made his "response" during the HR.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    This season is toast. This, and any other move they might make today, has nothing to do with saving the season.
    exactly.

I'm hoping that it breaks the ice with Dunn, and/or fastforwards the search for replacements.

also, it's time to see what Dusty can do without an 800 lb gorilla in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    my gut feeling tells me Jr nixes the deal.

Reds will get little in return for Jr if the deal does go through.
    That won't make him look good, when he talks about how important winning is...

Turn Off Ads?