Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Didi Gregorius

Didi Gregorius

Trading Didi will likely come back to haunt the Reds and Jocketty. Cozart is not going to improve, he is what he is, a low on base defensive SS who pulls the ball and has no plate discipline. I guess our scouting department thought Didi was done developing and wouldn't grow physically? I would have traded B Hamilton, Heisey and Cozart before I would have moved Gregorius, the kid is going to be an all star SS for the next decade. I think Billy Hamilton will not hit MLB pitching, struggling vs AAA pitching, so after 2012, we should have traded Hamilton, Heisey and Corcino for Choo. Keep Stubbs and Didi, our line up would be pretty solid, not to mention having gold glove defense in 5 positions.

Choo
    Stubbs
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesoraco
    Gregorius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Didi Gregorius

Probably a little early to predict All-Star appearances for the next decade.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

4. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-07-2013),kbrake (05-06-2013),mdccclxix (05-06-2013),Red Raindog (05-07-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think the Reds knew what Gregorius was, but sometimes you have to trade good players in order to get good players back (Choo). Gregorius is the player that was going to get that deal done, not Cozart. The Diamondbacks wanted a young shortstop with good upside. The Reds were one of very few teams that had one of those guys and was also willing to trade one.

6. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-06-2013),TOBTTReds (05-06-2013)

It is pretty well known how much Kevin Towers of Arizona wanted a SS and loved Gregorious. You do not get Choo and keep Gregorious. Indians wanted ML ready pitching prospect thus the need for Dbacks to get involved.

8. Likes:

TOBTTReds (05-06-2013)

Gregorious was the key to that trade. And replace Stubbs in the deal for Hamilton and you'd be whining next year about Stubbs looking lost...being a low obp strikeout machine while Hamilton in Cleveland will be an All Star for the next decade.
    Gregorious will have numbers at seasons end slightly but not greatly better than Cozart. He's hot right now, Zach isn't...that will flip flop before summer's end.

I love how you just changed the terms of the deal as if Cleveland would take whatever you want to offer. People leaping off the Hamilton ship over a starting slump in a new higher level which has been his pattern his whole career. Then he'll figure it out, get hot and everyone will have Billy fever again.

10. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (06-08-2013)

Are implying Didi's 1.226 OPS is superior to the .566 clip Zack is carrying?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

I love how you just changed the terms of the deal as if Cleveland would take whatever you want to offer. People leaping off the Hamilton ship over a starting slump in a new higher level which has been his pattern his whole career. Then he'll figure it out, get hot and everyone will have Billy fever again.
    To be fair, Billy Hamilton didn't start slow in Billings, Bakersfield or Pensacola.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Not only do you question the trade that acquired Choo, you actually want to have Drew Stubbs.

*uncontrollable laughter*

I don't care that Stubbs had a recent hot streak. Check back in with me at the end of the season when he's batting .220 with a .600 OPS.

Choo/Cozart >>>>>> Gregorius/Stubbs
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Choo/Cozart >>>>>> Gregorius/Stubbs
    For this season, absolutely. It is a lot more complicated than that of course. We traded 6 full years of Gregorius for 1 year of Choo along with whatever Stubbs has.

I am not saying I wouldn't do the deal again, but it isn't just as simple as your post makes it.

Well if the Reds resign Choo its different (long shot imo) but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    Well if the Reds resign Choo its different (long shot imo) but possible.
    No it isn't because they could have signed Choo after this season if they never traded for him. The Reds traded for one year of him.

18. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-06-2013),redsrule2500 (05-06-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (05-06-2013)

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No it isn't because they could have signed Choo after this season if they never traded for him. The Reds traded for one year of him.
    I'm missing something in your logic. Why can't the reds re-sign Choo? Because if ole' slidin Billy slides back down to an average prospect youre going to want to sign choo.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    I'm missing something in your logic. Why can't the reds re-sign Choo? Because if ole' slidin Billy slides back down to an average prospect youre going to want to sign choo.
    Choo is a free agent after this year. Doug's argument is even if he was playing for somebody other than the Reds this year, they would have had the chance to re-sign him.

I'm not sure if that's 100% accurate, but that's his argument. It's possible Choo would have been traded somewhere else, signed an extension, and never hit the open market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    They can sign Choo. But he walks after this season so they could have signed him anyway. You didn't trade for him because he was signed beyond this year and you hoped you could sign him. You traded for him for 2013. And realistically, unless the Reds figure out a way to get Choo out of center, I am not sure I do want to re-sign him without ever thinking about Hamilton.

22. Likes:

lucky bugle boy (05-06-2013),Redeyecat (05-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?