Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's the leadoff hitter?

Who's the leadoff hitter?

It appears that the Corey Patterson leadoff experiment is a failure. Our other candidates, Freel and Hopper, have some limitations that really don't make them ideal leadoff hitters. A player like Keppenger could lead off but Dusty likes guys with speed at the top of the lineup and he doesn't possess the speed those other three players do. Jay Bruce may be able to do it short term but long term, he's a middle of the lineup hitter.

So who can fill the bill? Since Dusty's the manager, having a very good OBP isn't enough if you can't run. I'm thinking it has to be someone from outside the organization who is probably an OFer - preferably a CFer. If it is someone outside the organization, what would it take to get him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Who's the leadoff hitter?

Jeff Keppinger... and have B Cast invest in a jetpack. There you go Dusty, a great hitter with speed.

That is a tough question for Dusty since he likes to increase the degree of difficulty.
    Assuming that Dusty has come to the belief that Patterson won't cut it at leadoff if it was me I would call up Bruce. Watched him on MILB tonight and he seems to have the confidence, hitting, speed and fielding abilities.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 04-19-2008 at 09:43 PM.

If he's gonna put up a .340ish OBP over the course of the year, let Phillips do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    If he's gonna put up a .340ish OBP over the course of the year, let Phillips do it.
    Works for me. He had enough speed to steal 30 last year. Should fit Dusty's criteria. That leaves a RH hole in the middle of the order though. So the new question becomes... where does that come from.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

i like Dunn leading off right now.

mostly unrelated, but does anyone think Dunn would get fewere balls at his shins called strikes if he wore the high stirups?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I'd definitely go with Keppinger right now. He'll be a patchwork guy, but Patterson simply cannot be the guy that theoretically gets the most ABs in the lineup.

Although if he promises to drop the bunt down every time, I'd put Hopper there for a while. He'd probably have a higher OBP bunting every time than Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It appears that the Corey Patterson leadoff experiment is a failure. Our other candidates
    it was a fait accompli

go with Kepp, move EE to 2nd and put Jr 3rd and Dunn 4th

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    it was a fait accompli

go with Kepp, move EE to 2nd and put Jr 3rd and Dunn 4th
    I agree, Kep is the leadoff hitter.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    i like Dunn leading off right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I'd definitely go with Keppinger right now. He'll be a patchwork guy, but Patterson simply cannot be the guy that theoretically gets the most ABs in the lineup.

Although if he promises to drop the bunt down every time, I'd put Hopper there for a while. He'd probably have a higher OBP bunting every time than Patterson.

Gotta remember, fellas, we're in Dustyland now. Dunn is not going to lead off ever so we may as well put that out of our minds right now.

As for Hopper, I see him more as a #2 hitter than a leadoff guy. With no one on base, the 1st and 3rd basemen can play so close they are shaking hands with the guy. With someone on, however, the corner IFers have to play close to their bases and Hop can bunt easier.

Kepp would be a great choice but I don't think Dusty would do it. Besides, Kepp may not have a position to play when Gonzo comes back.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Jay Bruce. I really, REALLY hate to admit it, but I am really starting to think the squire is on to something with the pitcher in the number 8 hole. Bring up Bruce and hit him leadoff playing centerfield, put Keppinger in the number 9 hole so he is on base 35-38% of the time when Jay comes up later in the ballgame. Move Votto up in the order right behind Dunn. Seperate Jr. and Dunn with Edwin, who will be hitting well enough to justify that move soon enough. I like Phillips hitting second, despite the double play numbers. Bruce will hit enough extra base hits to diminish that number.

It's kind of a crapshoot. But, when you look at what has happened so far, it is the lineup that is absolutely killing this team. We are leading the league in strikeouts, and the bullpen is getting the job done better than a much improved rotation. That's the facts.

It's time to make some radical moves to this lineup before we find ourselves in deep bovine scathology. Personally, I am running out of ways to justify the remarkable secondary skills of Corey Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Kepp would be a great choice but I don't think Dusty would do it. Besides, Kepp may not have a position to play when Gonzo comes back.
    Sure he will, Shortstop.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Sure he will, Shortstop.

Bruce CF
    Phillips 2b
    JR. RF
    Edwin 3b
    Dunn LF
    Votto 1b
    Ross\Valentin C
    Pitcher P
    Kepp SS

That's a good balance of left/right, could account for any orientation day by day without requiring platoons. Votto protects Dunn, where there is noone now. Dunn protects Edwin, where there is noone now. Bruce gets rbi opportunities after his first ab every day. Ross and Valentin play the percentages based on who is starting. Keppinger is an exponentially better hitter than Jason Kendall, who is the poster boy for Larussa's hair brained scheme.

The Reds are getting more than good enough pitching to win. But, the lineup is catty wompas as it is, and there is no indication it will get better without a major shakeup. I like Corey Patterson if he is used correctly on this team, but that role is as a complimentary player who can hit a home run off the bench, steal a base as a pinch runner or play defense late in games.

It is already PAST time for Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    put Keppinger in the number 9 hole
    And... Stop.

Chip:

Is it an official failure? Has Dusty said so? I really don't think he thinks it's a failure, but I've got news for him. It is.

We don't have a leadoff hitter on the roster. Freel is to impatient and swings wildly. Hopper can bunt--he's a one trick pony who will get some infield hits. He has no pucnch whatsoever. The only choice we have is Keppinger and the lineup should go:

Keppinger
    Votto
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Phillips
    Patterson
    Bako (or whoever)
    Pitcher
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?