Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who's Your Top Five Greatest Artists of All Time? (Music)

Re: Who's Your Top Five Greatest Artists of All Time? (Music)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I have some original recordings on vinyl. One was released in '40 and the other in '41 I think. I wonder if they're worth anything.
    I own a lot of vinyl records. Probably half are classical music. My average cost per LP is less than $1. IMO the chances that your classical music LPs are worth much is low. It seems certain artists are collectible (some jazz, some rock) but a whole lot of old LPs go for $3 or less.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Elvis was a performer, not an artist.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Not necessarily in order

Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Allman Brothers Band
    The Beatles
    Bob Dylan

Right at this moment, ignoring classical artists....

Beatles
    Duke Ellington
    Chuck Berry
    U2
    Billie Holliday.

That'll change in an hour.

billyjordon

Mine favourite Greatest Artists of All Time are Bo Diddley, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Ray Charles and Elvis Presley.

Hello? Lynyrd Skynyrd! Only the greatest rockers of all time!Come on,they have two of the best rock anthems of all time.
    I'am a Rocker thro and thro!Lynyrd Skynyrd,Def lep,Van Halen,not Van Hager!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Didn't even write his own songs. I guess one needs to first set the criteria that defines an artist.

But I think trying to compare musical artists of "today" (Beatles, etc) with those of past gone eras (Beethoven, etc) is like trying to compare ballplayers of today with those at the turn of the 20th century. Quite Different times.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    As for the Beatles, if they were such geniuses, then what is Paul McCartney doing these days that is so great? Tell me about his latest musical opus or his genre defying musical innovations.
    I don't think that's being fair to either the Beatles, McCartney, or any artist for that matter. Every artist or style of music has it's "golden period" where it reaches it's zenith (peaks), and then declines.

Where are the new musical innovations, as far as composers, in classical music? Why haven't we seen another Mozart, Beethoven, or Haydn? Classical music, while still popular, has seen huge declines in it's listening audience in comparison to it's peak period (era).

And one could make that claim with any musical style.

Music, in all it's various formats, has always been in a constant state of evolution. And with all those eras you'll find where even those artists, who were seen as innovators or groundbreaking due to their "uniqueness" or innovations, were heavily influenced by their predecessors, and even "borrowed" from them. The question, IMO, is "Who were the innovators?" Who were the ones who demonstrated that uniqueness and stepped out and forged that path that opened doors that others followed in? In other words, they weren't "followers", but leaders.

I don't know how old you are; but for one who was old enough to experience the Beatles they would definitely fit the bill as far as innovation and progressiveness.

And there's also that "generational" aspect to it. Each generation wants to step out and establish their own "fingerprint", and to distinguish themselves from previous generations so to say that identifies them. My Dad was a Big Band Era freak. And when the Beatles, as well as the English revolution, came along in the 60s he couldn't understand why his music wasn't as popular, was in decline, and being "pushed aside" by these four moptops. I use to tell him "that's old people's music". He identified with it, but I couldn't.

My kids are the same way. They like to listen to the Beatles; but it doesn't hold the same level of fascination and endearment as it does for my generation.

The question is about endurance. Does their music contain those "endearing qualities" where people will still be listening to them in 100 or 200 years from now, like some do with classical or other forms of music? Only time will provide that answer.

As for McCartney's music (songs)... he may no longer be making #1 chart busters anymore - there's that generational "animal" rearing it's ugly head again - but I personally think a lot of his solo efforts over the last 40 years stands up with that which he wrote as a Beatle. But very few have been able to match what the Beatles did.... and that includes an ex-Beatle.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

La Dolce Vita

paul mccartney....

2006 "standing stone" an opera

2011 "ocean's kingdom" a ballet for nyc ballet premiering 9/22
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    So performing isn't an art?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I suspect that in 200-500 years most of the 20th century ultrafamous Western musical artists will be forgotten and irrelevant, and this comes from someone who devoted most of his twenties to playing rock music. Duke Ellington and George Gershwin may be exceptions. Frank Zappa might get rediscovered because he was so prolific and his work was so varied (and often great).

The good lyricists will probably be appreciated: Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell. I'm not a big Bob Dylan fan, but he clearly strikes a chord with people.

Edit: I may have neglected late 20th century musical theater. Sondheim's musicals will probably be performed in 500 years, even if it's only among the elites (sort of how there's a high $$$ niche market for opera now). It's not my bag, but the same would probably go for Lloyd-Weber.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 08-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Stick to your guns.

Where are the new musical innovations, as far as composers, in classical music? Why haven't we seen another Mozart, Beethoven, or Haydn? Classical music, while still popular, has seen huge declines in it's listening audience in comparison to it's peak period (era).

To name just a few important innovators since the late 19th century through today: Brahms, Wagner, Bruckner, Sibelius, Prokofiev, Bartok, Shostakovich, Gershwin, Ligeti, Messianen, and currently Elliott Carter, Arvo Part, Gorecki, Gubaidulena.

Classical music's impact on Western culture is still profound and deep. If you have the intellectual curiosity to explore both historical and current classical music you will be rewarded with many epiphanies.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post

To name just a few important innovators since the late 19th century through today: Brahms, Wagner, Bruckner, Sibelius, Prokofiev, Bartok, Shostakovich, Gershwin, Ligeti, Messianen, and currently Elliott Carter, Arvo Part, Gorecki, Gubaidulena.

Classical music's impact on Western culture is still profound and deep. If you have the intellectual curiosity to explore both historical and current classical music you will be rewarded with many epiphanies.
    Stravinksi's 12 tone work and other serialism came in the 20th century.

I agree with the spirit of your post. For most "artists," there's not a lot of money out there for writing for traditional classical instruments. I think that the late 20th and early 21st century will be remembered for a greater scientific understanding of how people respond to music. A good read: "This is Your Brain on Music."

We have more and more reliable data of what musical elements people respond to. This could become a very good or very bad thing.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Edit: I may have neglected late 20th century musical theater. Sondheim's musicals will probably be performed in 500 years, even if it's only among the elites (sort of how there's a high $$$ niche market for opera now). It's not my bag, but the same would probably go for Lloyd-Weber.
    Agree on Sondheim, disagree on ALW. Sondheim is as close to genius as the theatre has seen. ALW has more big name musicals, but he's not in Sondheim's class as far as lasting impact, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Agree on Sondheim, disagree on ALW. Sondheim is as close to genius as the theatre has seen. ALW has more big name musicals, but he's not in Sondheim's class as far as lasting impact, IMO.
    I don't like him either, but you can't argue with the run that Cats and Phantom had packing houses for years on end. Future generations will be curious about shows that were documented to have run on broadway for twenty years. Not even the Bard got that kind of run out of one show.

For sake of clarity, I was more responding to the turn that this thread had taken in terms of (a) 20th century and (b) lasting impact. Andrew Lloyd Webber is not a top 5 greatest artist of all time.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?