Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbor parking his car in front of my house?

Neighbor parking his car in front of my house?

Ok, I realize this is petty but....if a neighbor(or two different neighbors in my case) parked their car(or work van) in front of your house at times for days at a time, would that upset you?

I live on a small cul-de-sac street. Each house on this street has a 2 car garage and driveways that will hold at least 4 cars. The family directly across the street has 3 cars and the husband has a work van. They have so much stuff in their garage they never put a car in the garage but they never have more than 2 cars in their driveway at any time. The husband has apparently decided that he is going to start leaving his van parked on my side of the street directly in front of my house and parks it on Friday afternoons and leaves it there until he goes back to work on Mondays. Yet over the weekend as I said they have room for all of their vehicles in their driveway. I look at it like if you have a driveway then use it.

To be fair he isnt blocking anything and we have never crossed words with each other but some days I just laugh about it and then other days for some reason it honks me off and I think about parking my car in front of his house just to see what would happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Neighbor parking his car in front of my house?

It's a public street, let it go and get over it.

Simple solution..... Start parking your vehicle in front of his house.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

They call me "chef"

Some communities have laws about overnight street parking. Perhaps you can check with your city and see what the rules are. Obviously, the easiest answer is to just get over it but I would check- there are often laws/rules that support your case.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Simple solution..... Start parking your vehicle in front of his house.....
    Or park your car in front of your house. He'll have no choice but to park elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Or park your car in front of your house. He'll have no choice but to park elsewhere.
    Have thought about it but he must get off before I do as he is always home by the time I get home....and I have a driveway which I actually use...The way it works for me is the one time I park out in the street just to prove a point or be a smart alec will be the one time my car gets hit or broken into...It's a Murphys Law sort of thing

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Ok, I realize this is petty but....if a neighbor(or two different neighbors in my case) parked their car(or work van) in front of your house at times for days at a time, would that upset you?

I live on a small cul-de-sac street. Each house on this street has a 2 car garage and driveways that will hold at least 4 cars. The family directly across the street has 3 cars and the husband has a work van. They have so much stuff in their garage they never put a car in the garage but they never have more than 2 cars in their driveway at any time. The husband has apparently decided that he is going to start leaving his van parked on my side of the street directly in front of my house and parks it on Friday afternoons and leaves it there until he goes back to work on Mondays. Yet over the weekend as I said they have room for all of their vehicles in their driveway. I look at it like if you have a driveway then use it.

To be fair he isnt blocking anything and we have never crossed words with each other but some days I just laugh about it and then other days for some reason it honks me off and I think about parking my car in front of his house just to see what would happen.
    Yes, it would bother me. Not sure what you can do about it though. Maybe ask him to park in front of his own house?

If that doesn't work just throw a rock through his window. I kid.

Do you have an HOA? Call and see if that's allowed and if not, let them deal with it. that's why you pay the fees every year.

Talk to him.

I know...crazy, right? But hear me out.

Strike up a conversation with the guy. Talk about sports, or whatever. Chances are, he'll eventually bring up the fact that he's parking in front of your house, because he knows he's doing it. You'll probably joke about it a little, and next weekend, he just might park in his own driveway.

If he keeps parking in front of your house, then start thinking of all the clever ways to one-up him. But for now, talk to him.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 12-07-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

If you have spoken with him before and he seems like a decent person, I would talk to him. But having worked in a city law department, sometimes talking to a neighbor directly can set things off in the wrong direction. I would look into the local ordinances first to see what the rules on street parking are. Considering it's a cul-de-sac and not a city street with apartments and a lack of parking, street parking overnight may be banned. Also, depending on what side of the street the fire hydrants are on, parking on that side might be banned as well. And of course, with winter coming, parking on the street may cause problems for the snow plow, especially on a narrow cul-de-sac.

You might want to call your local law department and ask for advice on street parking and how to proceed. They may just tell you what the rules are and let you talk to the neighbor yourself, or if it violates an ordinance, they may decide to send him a warning letter themselves to avoid any unpleasant confrontations between neighbors. Normally law departments don't like to get involved in neighbor disputes, but as this involves a public street, they may want to in order to make sure ordinances are being abided by.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Talk to him.

I know...crazy, right? But hear me out.

Strike up a conversation with the guy. Talk about sports, or whatever. Chances are, he'll eventually bring up the fact that he's parking in front of your house, because he knows he's doing it. You'll probably joke about it a little, and next weekend, he just might park in his own driveway.

If he keeps parking in front of your house, then start thinking of all the clever ways to one-up him. But for now, talk to him.
    Yep, this is what I'd do too. This is one of those things you try to finesse first before resorting to heavey-handed tactics.

Due to the demographics of our street, we have a lot of kids that are of driving age. Hence we have a lot of cars that park on the street. The Tucker fleet currently numbers 5 so we have 2 cars in the garage, 1 in the driveway, and 2 in the street. Several families around us have the same kind of thing. It's a bit of an unwritten rule that the spots in front of our houses "belong" to us. Kids come and go a lot and having to hike down the street is a bit of a pain.

This past summer, we had a neighbor who's daughter + husband were staying with them because their house was getting renovated. They parked their car in front of our house and did it so it took up 2 spots. And left it there for a few days resulting in much griping from the Tucker street parkers (to me since somehow I caused this problem). So one Saturday when I was outside in the yard working, I kept an eye on their house. When Dave came out to get the mail, I did a "howdy neighbor" wave and engaged him in a conversation. After a friendly conversation and, in parting, I asked her to ask his daughter to move the car up so we could use one of the spots and explained parking and kids and blah blah. The next day, their car was over in front of their house.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If you have spoken with him before and he seems like a decent person, I would talk to him. But having worked in a city law department, sometimes talking to a neighbor directly can set things off in the wrong direction. I would look into the local ordinances first to see what the rules on street parking are. Considering it's a cul-de-sac and not a city street with apartments and a lack of parking, street parking overnight may be banned. Also, depending on what side of the street the fire hydrants are on, parking on that side might be banned as well. And of course, with winter coming, parking on the street may cause problems for the snow plow, especially on a narrow cul-de-sac.

You might want to call your local law department and ask for advice on street parking and how to proceed. They may just tell you what the rules are and let you talk to the neighbor yourself, or if it violates an ordinance, they may decide to send him a warning letter themselves to avoid any unpleasant confrontations between neighbors. Normally law departments don't like to get involved in neighbor disputes, but as this involves a public street, they may want to in order to make sure ordinances are being abided by.
    Trying to remember my drivers training years ago but I thought a parked car could not be parked for over 24 hours without moving it. If he is moving it within that period I don't think there is anything you can do.

Just because you have a garage and driveway for 4 cars doesn't mean it makes sense to park all 4 in the driveway. You have people leaving at different times in the morning and it would be a hassle every morning to move the cars around before work. I know when I was growing up we had a big driveway and 2 car garage but I parked on the street every day. We also were in the cul-de-sac and I parked in front of a neighbor's house. I know this, my mom sure as heck wasn't parking anywhere but the garage, even if she was the first to leave in the morning.

If he gets a letter from law enforcement, or from the homeowners' association, he'll probably figure out that who complained, and he'll probably be pretty upset that the person didn't come talk to him beforehand.

I suggest talking to him. Not about the parking, though. Not at first. Just chat with him. If he brings up the parking, talk about it. If he doesn't, don't mention it, but talk to him again a couple days later and mention it then.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I live on a street where most houses don't have a driveways and every time somebody new moves in things go haywire for a while when they (and their friends) park in front of their neighbors houses rather than their own. Usually someone will say something to them eventually to the effect that as no one has driveways the "quid pro quo" is that we all treat the spaces in front of our houses as as our "driveways" and that I won't ever park in front of your house and I would appreciate it if you tried your best not to park in front of mine. Occasionally a note has been left with a gentle reminder when this persists. This really becomes important in the winter here when it's raining all the time. Shlepping groceries in the pouring rain from that spot at the end of the street sucks.

Talking to them directly and in a nice manner is the best solution IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Walk over and take a dump in his yard.

Or

Just talk to him about it.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?