Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gathering 2008?

Re: Gathering 2008?

Oh yeah, and I also don't really care who they play or where the seats are. We will be annoying no matter where we sit.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If June is out, I vote for May 30-31 vs. the Braves.

Also, can we post a link to this thread on the baseball forums?
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 04-04-2008 at 03:34 PM.

I'll be in Cincinnati in July for Barry Larkin's induction weekend, so let me know if anyone wants to get together. (It's my late birthday present! I'm so excited!)
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Barry11 View Post
    I'll be in Cincinnati in July for Barry Larkin's induction weekend, so let me know if anyone wants to get together. (It's my late birthday present! I'm so excited!)
    I'm not missing that game either, SB. Is it July 19th? If so, my season ticket package includes that game.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Last year it worked this way. Creek was organizer/dictator and laid down the law.
    She set the dates, meeting place/time for drinks, got a block of seats and collected the money from those who wanted them.
    If you could make it...welcome...if not...well, the REDS play every year.

My feeling is that there can be no democracy in these things or it doesn't get done.

So, if not Creek (who I really hope is ok)...we'd need a volunteer to become RZ Gathering 2008 Overlord.

How about it? Anyone? ...Bueller?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'd love to do one of these again. My weekends are booked with rehearsals and shows though from July through October, but I'm good through June.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I have a United Airlines round-trip voucher that I need to use before fall. This might be just the occasion to do it.
    /r/reds

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I have a United Airlines round-trip voucher that I need to use before fall. This might be just the occasion to do it.
    Just gas up and hit the road. It's not that far. I've done that run quite a bit in the last few months. You get to see all kinds of scenic places along the way. How could you pass up on the opportunity to pass through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky on one trip. That's redneck central right there. It doesn't get any better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Just gas up and hit the road. It's not that far. I've done that run quite a bit in the last few months. You get to see all kinds of scenic places along the way. How could you pass up on the opportunity to pass through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky on one trip. That's redneck central right there. It doesn't get any better than that.
    I like to drive, so it's more tempting than you'd probably guess.

Mrs. U has informed me that if I drove it I'd be making that 20-hour drive by myself. Plus, it'd probably cost me at least $200 for gas for the round trip.
    /r/reds

Plus, it'd probably cost me at least $200 for gas for the round trip.
    You might want to double that.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    You might want to double that.
    I guess you're right.

My car gets about 20 miles to the gallon and has a range of about 360. Google Maps says it's about 1350 miles to drive from my zip code to my parents' zip code. 2700 miles/360 miles is 7.7 fillups. The most I've spent to fill it is $55, which is almost certainly low for the trip, since gas here is always cheaper than it is there. $55 x 7.7 = $423.50. That's a lot of $$$ for a trip I don't have to make.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Last year it worked this way. Creek was organizer/dictator and laid down the law.
    She set the dates, meeting place/time for drinks, got a block of seats and collected the money from those who wanted them.
    If you could make it...welcome...if not...well, the REDS play every year.

My feeling is that there can be no democracy in these things or it doesn't get done.

So, if not Creek (who I really hope is ok)...we'd need a volunteer to become RZ Gathering 2008 Overlord.

How about it? Anyone? ...Bueller?
    Very true. Somebody needs to do the legwork and make some final decisions. If nobody can/will, I'll try and help out.

Whatever date you people decide on I'll be there, unless it's the first week of July. We'll be gone on vacation. But somebody has to babysit you out-of-towners.

But you're going to have to find someone locally, other then creek, to be the point person. I don't think she's been on the forum for ages.

I personally nominate Chip or Kitty. Or maybe both together.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I guess you're right.

My car gets about 20 miles to the gallon and has a range of about 360. Google Maps says it's about 1350 miles to drive from my zip code to my parents' zip code. 2700 miles/360 miles is 7.7 fillups. The most I've spent to fill it is $55, which is almost certainly low for the trip, since gas here is always cheaper than it is there. $55 x 7.7 = $423.50. That's a lot of $$$ for a trip I don't have to make.
    My van gets about 20 mpg but I'm also running diesel which costs more. It's not a cheap run, but if you consider that when I run from San Antonio to Ohio I'm usually making $1500 gross for the trip, it's not so bad. And it really is a nice drive. Arkansas and Tennessee can be quite scenic at the right time of year. These days though, if you're not getting paid to make the drive, flying might be cheaper.

I might be able to make one this year.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?