Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It's absolutely not useless. There might be better stats out there, but it's not useless. On 51% of the times he passes the ball, it's a wasted down. If you think that's useless, I'd rather you not coach my favorite teams lol
    Its useless in the since that its a stat you can inflate anytime you want. You can check the ball down all day if you like. Im not sure if there is another stat that people deem important in sports that you can make better almost at will. It would be like a hitter able to get a cheap hit anytime he wants and increase his average.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Its useless in the since that its a stat you can inflate anytime you want. You can check the ball down all day if you like. Im not sure if there is another stat that people deem important in sports that you can make better almost at will. It would be like a hitter able to get a cheap hit anytime he wants and increase his average.
    Uh, what? If a hitter could do that it would mean he could get on base whenever he wants.....that would be an incredibly valuable skill and that hitter would be the best player ever.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

He isn't that accurate, but another reason his % is lower is because when they throw they are taking shots down the field. There aren't many checkdowns in that passing game. His receivers also drop a ton of balls.

What Tebow needs is a receiver who is great at catching bad balls. Many of his balls are "catchable" but not good throws.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    If it's so easy to check down whenever you want, why isn't he doing it more?

It's not like the Broncos have been throwing the ball downfield very much. Tebow's passing game has consisted largely of screens, flat passes and short out routes to begin with -- which makes his completion percentage that much worse.

No matter how you slice it, his numbers this season have been largely abysmal. His TD-INT ratio is about the only thing somewhat going for him. Even that wasn't otherworldly.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    He isn't that accurate, but another reason his % is lower is because when they throw they are taking shots down the field. There aren't many checkdowns in that passing game. His receivers also drop a ton of balls.
    Tebows 2011 passing splits according to ESPN:

pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage: 24 of 32 - 75% completion
    1-10 yards: 55 of 95 - 57.9% completion
    11-20 yards: 31 of 84 - 36.9% completion
    21-30 yards: 10 of 32 - 31.3% completion
    31-40 yards: 4 of 21 - 19% completion
    40+ yards: 0 of 5 - 0% completion

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...3200/tim-tebow

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post

That pretty much destroys that narrative considering almost half his passes are less than 10 yards.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yates also had the offensive line, running game and defense that Dalton didn't.

Funny thing is at NE, Tebow will have the superior running game, defense and special teams yet he's still a 2 TD dog
    That's probably because they got their butts kicked last time they played NE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

It's amazing how people have completely forgotten about the last 3 games of the season. It's like they never happened.

And the whole "hater" comments were tired like a month ago. Here's what happens: we all watch the games. The Broncos win and it's all because of Tebow. Some of us just don't buy what's shoved in our faces and dare to offer an opposing viewpoint that the guy isn't that good. That viewpoint is often times met with accusations of being a hater. Lame.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post

Again, I'm not saying he's accurate, but by those stats he's throwing 21 yards+ around 21% of the time. Quick math in my head tells me Dalton is making those throws around 10% of the time, and Tom Brady around 7% of the time.

I was saying there's not a lot of checkdowns based on the games I've seen, but they definitely do run a ton of screen plays so I didn't consider those.

If it's so easy to check down whenever you want, why isn't he doing it more?

It's not like the Broncos have been throwing the ball downfield very much. Tebow's passing game has consisted largely of screens, flat passes and short out routes to begin with -- which makes his completion percentage that much worse.

No matter how you slice it, his numbers this season have been largely abysmal. His TD-INT ratio is about the only thing somewhat going for him. Even that wasn't otherworldly.
    Can you even name the receivers he throws to without looking? And how good would you say they are compared to the rest of the league? Are they stars?
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 01-09-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Can you even name the receivers he throws to without looking? And how good would you say they are compared to the rest of the league? Are they stars?
    What does my knowing the Broncos receivers have to do with Tim Tebow's completion percentage? And as ridiculous a question as that is... yes I do, despite it being totally immaterial.

I watched every Tim Tebow start this year... the receivers are really inconsistent. They will make a lot of "hard" catches (by hard I mean catches that your above avg WRs will make)... then they will routinely let balls bounce off their hands/chests/etc. Decker and Thomas are decent.... I think if you add a legit #1 receiver, their the WRs would be considered "good"

Honestly, I think a great catching TE would be perfect for Tebow. Tons of PA/boot leg type routes are there for TEs.

What does my knowing the Broncos receivers have to do with Tim Tebow's completion percentage? And as ridiculous a question as that is... yes I do, despite it being totally immaterial.
    The point of the question was...the receivers he throws to largely aren't very good and are unrecognizable.

When you have great receivers to throw to, you're more likely to complete more of your passes. He doesn't have Calvin Johnson or AJ Green or Reggie Wayne or a similar receiver to throw to.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Tebow's not a rookie.
    I understand he was drafted last year, but played pretty sparingly (learning) behind Kyle Orton. This is his first full year as the starter. So in that sense he's pretty much the rookie IMO.

I think Tebow can get better.
    And that is all I'm saying. For some to claim that he is no NFL QB, at this stage, is kind of ridiculous IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?